Vellux blankets have earned a cult following over the years, and it’s easy to see why. These blankets undergo a unique manufacturing process that involves layering polyurethane foam between thin, colored strips of adhesive. Millions of tiny nylon fibers are then attached to these adhesive strips. The end result is a blanket that is both insulating and warm (thanks to the foam) and remarkably lightweight (because so few materials are used).
In addition to being lightweight and warm, Vellux blankets are known for their durability and long lives. They come in a variety of styles, including a sheet blanket, sheared mink blanket, plush varieties, a cotton blanket, fleece and microfleece, and more. So which are the best Vellux blankets? Check out our selections in this roundup.
The Original Vellux Blanket
- The blanket is made from 100% nylon flock with an insulated foam base. It’s soft to the touch, lightweight, and warm.
- It comes in 11 colors, which makes it easy to customize to one’s bedroom decor.
- This is a relatively budget-friendly blanket.
- The blanket is machine-washable for easy at-home care. Be sure to follow the washing instructions to help the blanket last as long as possible.
One con? Even though the manufacturer says the blanket is lint-free, it seems prone to shedding.
The Original Vellux Blanket holds up as our Editor’s Choice thanks to its soft, lightweight feel and reliable warmth. The budget-friendly blanket comes in 11 colors and is machine-washable.
Vellux Plush Lux Blanket
- True to its name, this 100% polyester blanket is decidedly plush, making it warm and cozy. It could even take the place of a comforter.
- Even though the blanket is warm, it’s also fairly lightweight.
- The blanket comes in seven colors, so it’s easily matched to a bedroom aesthetic.
- The cover has a velvety feel that’s soft to the touch.
- This is a pricey blanket.
- The velvety cover is sort of slippery, which means it’s prone to shifting around on top of the bed.
If you’re willing to splurge a bit, consider the Vellux Plush Lux Blanket. It’s cozy, warm, and lightweight, and it has a velvety cover that’s soft to the touch.
Cotton Woven Blanket by Vellux
- The blanket is made from 100% cotton, which is lightweight and breathable.
- It comes in six colors, so it’s fairly easy to match the blanket to one’s bedroom aesthetic.
- It features a tight weave and a Chevron texture, which gives the blanket a refined finish and helps protect against snags.
- The blanket is machine-washable.
- This is a fairly pricey cotton blanket.
- If you like a lot of drape over your bed, you might need to order a size up.
Warm-weather fans of Vellux blankets will appreciate the Cotton Woven Blanket by Vellux, which is lightweight and breathable. The machine-washable blanket features a refined Chevron weave.
Vellux Plush Blanket
- The 100% polyester Vellux Plush Blanket is heavier weight than many Vellux blankets, and it offers the warmth to match it.
- The cover is made from a “micro-mink” fabric that’s soft to the touch.
- The blanket is machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- It comes in seven colors that can be matched to one’s bedroom decor.
- The satiny cover is a bit slippery and might cause the blanket to shift around on the bed.
- Some of the colors might not exactly match their pictures.
Compared to other Vellux blankets, the heavyweight Vellux Plush Blanket could appeal to folks who like their blankets to have more “heft.” The warm blanket is soft to the touch and machine-washable.
Fleece Blanket by Vellux
- This is a very budget-friendly Vellux blanket.
- The blanket comes in nine colors, so it’s easy to match to a bedroom’s decor.
- The polyester microfleece fabric is lightweight, soft, and cozy. It’s lighter than a lot of other Vellux blankets, which should make it versatile enough for year-round use.
- The blanket is machine-washable.
- Even though the manufacturer claims the blanket is no-pill, it’s prone to shedding.
- Some colors might not exactly match their pictures.
Dip your toes into the world of Vellux blankets with the budget-friendly Fleece Blanket by Vellux. The polyester blanket is lightweight and soft and comes in nine colors.
How We Picked
With so many styles to choose from, how do you settle on the best Vellux blanket around? We considered the following criteria.
Some people choose their blankets based on how well they complement existing bedroom decor, so we included blankets that come in a range of solid colors and a few patterns. There should be a color to suit pretty much all tastes on this list.
Vellux blankets can range in price from around $20 to over $80. That’s a big range, and you might find that you’re limited to a particular side of it. We included Vellux blankets across this price spectrum so there’s an option for every budget.
All of the blankets on this roundup are soft to the touch and shouldn’t create skin itchiness or chafing. Beyond that, there’s a fair amount of variety when it comes to hand feel. No matter whether you prefer a velvety texture or the coziness of fleece, a variety of feels are represented here.
The materials used in a given blanket can affect its hand feel, breathability, and warmth. Depending on your climate or personal preferences, you might have strong feelings about the materials that you want in a blanket. This list includes blankets made with cotton, fleece, microfleece, “micro-mink”, and polyester, so there should be an option to suit most tastes.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best Vellux blanket for your needs? Take the following into account:
- Materials. The materials used in a given blanket can affect its warmth, feel, and so on. Deciding whether you prefer cotton, fleece, polyester, or another material is a quick way to zero in on the best options for you.
- Weight. By design, most Vellux blankets are lightweight (without compromising on warmth). But if you prefer your blankets to have more heft, take a look at the plush options.
Thanks to their unique construction, Vellux blankets are generally known for their durability, warmth, and lightweight feel. To find the best Vellux blanket for your needs, think about your desired materials and your budget. Then get ready to cozy up along with the rest of Vellux’s fan following!
What is a Vellux blanket?
Vellux blankets are blankets designed via a unique manufacturing process. This process involves sandwiching polyurethane foam between thin adhesive strips and then covering those adhesive strips with millions of tiny fibers. The end result is a blanket that’s both lightweight and insulating.
Are Vellux blankets warm?
Thanks to their manufacturing process, Vellux blankets are known for being warm and cozy. They’re made with polyurethane foam, which is very insulating. At the same time, these blankets are also known for being lightweight.
How do you wash a Vellux blanket?
Vellux blankets are machine-washable, and some people find that they get softer after washing. To wash a Vellux blanket properly, consult the care instructions for the blanket in question. In most cases, the manufacturer will advise washing the blanket on a regular cycle and then tumble-drying on low.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020