If you’ve ever tried to force a fitted sheet onto your mattress only to watch it slip right off as soon as you hit the hay, there’s a good chance you need a set of deep-pocket sheets. Most sheet sets can accommodate mattresses up to 14 inches deep, but every bed is built differently and it’s important to find the right fit. After all, your sheets dress the most important piece of furniture in your bedroom!
Of course, there’s more to consider than pocket depth when you’re on the hunt for new bedsheets, so let’s dive deeper into the details. In this guide, I’ll show you how to shop for the sheets that perfectly fit your mattress and your unique sleep needs. But before we get into the methodology, let’s take a look at my top five favorite deep-pocket sheets.
California Design Den Pure Cotton Sheet Set
Sleepers looking for a set of cozy cotton sheets with extra deep pockets will be most compatible with this bedding. They’re soft, breathable, and can accommodate mattresses up to 18 inches deep.
- This bedding is made from 100% long-staple cotton which makes it soft, smooth, and durable. Additionally, the fitted sheet has very deep pockets of 18 inches, ideal for folks with taller mattresses.
- These sheets are sateen woven which gives them a silky feel and lustrous sheen.
- At $40 for a Queen size, this set is a great value considering its high quality.
- The fitted sheet in this set has extra deep pockets, so those with mattresses fewer than 15 inches deep may find that it’s too baggy.
- Sleepers looking for crisp cotton sheets might want to look elsewhere. This bedding is sateen woven, which gives it a silky feel and lustrous sheen.
California Design Den Sheets
California Design Den sheets use quality long staple cotton to provide smooth and durable sheets at a value price.
4.60 / 5Read Full Review
Best Deep-Pocket Microfiber
Nestl Bedding Soft Sheets Set
Made from 100% double-brushed microfiber, these sheets have a soft, suede-like feel. Additionally, the fitted sheet features deep pockets capable of accommodating mattresses up to 16 inches tall.
- This sheet set can fit mattresses up to 16 inches in depth, which makes it ideal for sleepers with thicker beds and/or toppers.
- This bedding double-brushed which gives the fabric a uniquely soft and cozy feel.
- Wash care for this sheet set is nice and easy; no special detergent or temperature settings needed!
- If you sleep on a mattress that’s 15 inches deep and you also use a topper, you might find that this sheet set isn’t the perfect fit.
- Hot sleepers might find that microfiber is not cool and breathable enough.
Nestl Bedding Soft Sheets Set
The Nestl Bedding Soft Sheets are made from 100% double-brushed microfiber, these sheets have a soft, suede-like feel.
4.60 / 5Read Full Review
Linenwalas Bamboo Sheet Set
These eco-friendly sheets are naturally hypoallergenic, organic, and made from 100% bamboo rayon. Each set comes with one top sheet, two pillowcases, and a deep-pocket fitted sheet capable of accommodating mattresses up to 16 inches tall.
- Bamboo-based bedding is known for its silky feel and natural sheen, and these are no exception! Sleepers looking for a light and lustrous set of deep-pocket sheets should give these a try.
- Wash care for bamboo sheets can be tricky sometimes, but these are easily washed and dried by machine and require no special maintenance.
- These sheets are sateen woven which really boosts the smooth feel of the fabric, and enhances its lustrous sheen.
- This might be nitpicky, but this bedding has a silky feel that’s almost a bit slippery. Those who prefer a crisp feel might want to look elsewhere.
- While 16-inch pockets are considered quite deep, there are sheets with deeper pockets on the market. If you sleep on a mattress that’s 15 inches deep and you also use a mattress topper, you might need extra deep-pocket sheets.
Linenwalas Organic Bamboo Sheets
The Linenwalas bamboo sheets are super soft, as well as naturally hypoallergenic, organic, and made from 100 percent bamboo rayon.
4.30 / 5Read Full Review
Sweet Home Collection Microfiber Sheet Set
Made from 100% brushed microfiber, this bedding offers a soft, suede-like feel. A stylish triple-embroidered hemstitch borders the cuff of each pillowcase, and the fitted sheet is ideal for those with mattresses up to 16 inches deep.
- This bedding is ideal for sleepers on a budget, as each set is competitively priced below $20.
- These sheets are made from brushed microfiber, a material that offers a warm and fuzzy feel that’s well suited to sleepers who run cold.
- The fitted sheet in this set can fit mattresses up to 16 inches deep, and the elastic band goes all the way around the sheet rather than just the corners.
- As a hot sleeper, I found this bedding to be rather warming. Those looking to sleep cool might be better off elsewhere.
- Folks who prefer a silky-smooth feel might want to look elsewhere. This bedding has a suede-like feel that’s unique to brushed microfiber.
Sweet Home Collection Microfiber Sheet Set
Made from 100% brushed microfiber, the Sweet Home Collection Microfiber Sheets offers a soft, suede-like feel.
4.60 / 5Read Full Review
How We Picked
Okay sleepers, now that we’ve taken a close look at my favorite deep-pocket sheets, let’s dive into the methodology behind my picks. Of course, finding the right bedding is largely about personal preference, but there are some guidelines that’ll help you find the best fit!
Measure Your Mattress
The first step in finding the right deep-pocket sheet set is to measure your mattress. Oftentimes, the center of the mattress is slightly thicker than the edges, so I suggest you add an inch when measuring the depth. Ultimately, it’s better to have a fitted sheet with pockets that are too big than not big enough.
It’s also important to note that most sheets shrink a bit after you wash them for the first time. Typically, shrinkage should not be so extreme that the depth of the fitted sheet pockets decrease by more than an inch, but it’s still something to consider when you’re sheet shopping.
For example, if you measure your mattress to be 13 inches deep, opt for the sheet set with pockets that are 15 or 16 inches deep. Of course, things get a little tricky when you add accessories like mattress toppers or foam pads to the mix, so let’s take a closer look at how to properly size up your sheets.
Sizing Up Your Sheets
While it’s true that finding “the right fit” means your fitted sheet pockets shouldn’t be too small… it also means that they shouldn’t be too big! Your fitted sheet should tightly hug your mattress without a ton of excess fabric or gapping.
Of course, it’s better to have to tuck a little extra fabric beneath the mattress than wrestle with a sheet that’s simply too small. However, it’s important to note that the depth of a sheet’s pockets does not affect the quality of the bedding itself.
For example, don’t pick the set of “extra deep-pocket” sheets because you’ve heard that deep pockets are a good thing. Instead, aim for the depth that complements your own mattress. Additionally, look for fitted sheets with elastic bands that span the perimeter of the sheet, rather than just the corners. This will help your sheet stay tucked!
Picking The Materials
Choosing the right fabric for your sheets is largely about personal preference, but the durability, weave, and stretchiness of a material can affect how your fitted sheet performs. So let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular sheet materials.
- Cotton – Perhaps the most popular sheet material is cotton, but it’s not all created equally and I suggest going with long-staple or extra-long staple cotton. These terms refer to the length of the cotton fibers used to weave the fabric, and longer fibers typically make for a more durable sheet. And better durability usually means that your fitted sheet won’t stretch out or pill over time.
- Polyester/Microfiber – Polyester microfiber is known for its super tight weave, which many sleepers praise for the uniquely soft feel it provides. However, it’s important to note that this tight weave doesn’t offer much give or stretch, so it might not be a bad idea to size up to be on the safe side. Remember: it’s better for your fitted sheet pockets to be too big than too small.
- Bamboo – Bamboo-based bedding is known for its silky-smooth feel, but it can also be a bit slippery too. I find that this slippery texture can make it tougher for the sheets to stay on the mattress so, if you choose this material, pay close attention to the fitted sheet’s elastic band. A thick, hyper-elastic band that spans the perimeter of the sheet will put a mega grip on your mattress and help guard against any slipping and sliding.
- Linen – Linen is known for its casually creased look and rustic aesthetic. So, yes, this means wrinkles. If you prefer your fitted sheet to have a totally wrinkle-free look, linen might not be your best bet. However, it’s worth noting that linen tends to shrink less as compared to the other materials listed here, which often means you don’t have to factor in those extra inches when you’re picking your pocket depth.
Each of these fabrics bring their own special something to the game, but here’s a pro tip: Bedding that’s blended with spandex can be perfect for sleepers who aren’t sure how to choose pocket depth. The spandex clings to your mattress which prevents gapping and allows the fitted sheet pockets to adapt to the dimensions of your bed.
Wash care totally depends upon the materials you’re working with, and it’s very important to check the specific instructions for each individual sheet set. Ultimately, no one knows how to care for your bedding better than the folks who made it. That said, I prioritize easy wash care and every set listed in this roundup is pretty low-maintenance.
The wash care instructions for the sheets in this guide are as follows:
- Wash on a cold or warm gentle cycle, use mild detergent
- Tumble-dry on low heat or line-dry
- Iron as needed, but use iron setting listed on wash care tag
Seems simple enough, right? Just keep in mind that most sheets shrink a bit after the first wash. If you don’t want to worry about shrinkage at all, aim for sheets that have been pre-washed by the brand itself. Many retailers pre-wash their bedding to help shoppers find the most accurate fit.
Pricing, Returns, and Trial Periods
Like with wash care, pricing depends upon the materials used to make your sheets. And even then, certain brands are just generally more expensive than others. That’s why it’s important to know the difference between a return policy and a trial period!
A return policy means you have some time to decide how you feel about your sheets and, if they don’t work out, you can be refunded or have them exchanged. However, some companies only accept returns if the sheets are unwashed and in their original packaging (which doesn’t really let you get the full sense of your new sheets). Return policies typically range from 7-30 days, and once that time is up, your purchase is officially permanent.
A trial period, on the other hand, gives you the chance to “try before you buy” and typically lasts longer than a return policy (many brands offer trials of 90-100 days). During that time, you may return your product for a full refund, no questions asked. And don’t worry about not washing it or returning it to its original packaging — those rules don’t apply here.
Before we wrap up, allow me to leave you with a few final words of bedding wisdom:
- Remember to aim for a fitted sheet with pockets that are within 2-3 inches of the depth of your mattress. You want enough room to accommodate your mattress, but you don’t want a ton of excess fabric either.
- When it comes to choosing the right pocket depth, I can’t overstress the beauty of spandex. Sheets that are blended with even 5% spandex are going to be stretchier and more resilient, allowing the sheet to cling to your bed.
- If you sleep with a mattress topper and/or pad, don’t forget to factor in those extra inches! For example, if you sleep on a bed that’s 15 inches deep and supplement with a 2-inch topper, aim for a sheet with 18-inch pockets.
We’ve reached the end of my guide, and you’re ready to start shopping for the perfect set of deep-pocket sheets. Just remember to keep a close eye on the pocket depth, materials used, and wash care, and you’re sure to find the bedding that you and your mattress love. Happy sleeping, everybody.