California Design Den is a brand that is all about providing high-quality, natural home products. In this review, I’ll be going over their Silky Soft Sateen sheet set. I personally tested these sheets out, so I’ll fill you in on my experience with them, as well as detailing what they are made of and who they are best suited for.
Let’s find out if these are the best bed sheets for you! If you are in a rush, you can always skip ahead for my review summary.
What are the California Design Den Sheets Made Of?
The California Design Den Silky Soft Sateen sheets are made from 100 percent cotton. The set I tested had a 500-thread count, although the brand offers a variety of different thread count options. These sheets are made with a sateen weave, which is a style that weaves multiple threads over and one under to create a satin-like, silky, smooth feel.
Whichever thread count you get, all California Design Den sheets are OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certified, meaning they passed the highest standards for safety from harmful substances.
The set is available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king sizes. Each set comes with:
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and one standard pillowcase (twin, twin XL)
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two standard pillowcases (full, queen)
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two king size pillowcases (king, California king)
- One flat sheet, two fitted sheets, and two king size pillowcases (split king)
The twin, twin XL, full, and split king fitted sheets have 14-inch pockets, while the queen, king, and California king fitted sheets have 16-inch pockets. Both sizes should be fairly roomy and fit on most mattresses.
Additionally, the fitted sheet features extra-strong elastic and tags to indicate the head and foot of the bed, a small detail that simplifies the process of making your bed.
What Do the California Design Den Sheets Feel Like?
I absolutely loved the feel of the California Design Den sheets. From the first time I put them on the bed, I was delighted by their super soft, buttery, and silky feel. The cotton sateen fabric almost feels like bamboo, but less viscous and flowy. These are definitely among the softest sheets I’ve ever tested.
Are the California Design Den Sheets Good for Hot Sleepers?
While I adore how soft these sheets feel, I don’t think they are the best sheets for hot sleepers. They aren’t overly warming or heat-trapping, but the higher thread count and thicker sateen weave make these sheets less breathable than other cotton sheet sets — particularly ultra-airy percale sheets.
For better cooling options, take a look at our best cooling sheets for hot sleepers.
How Durable are California Design Den Sheets?
One thing I immediately noticed when I took these sheets out of the packaging was how high-quality they felt. The sheets themselves feel quite sturdy and the elastic in the fitted sheet feels strong. Additionally, I have actually washed these sheets a few times and they have held up well. I have not seen any pilling and the sheets feel just as soft, if not softer, than when I first received them.
Do the California Design Den Sheets Stay on the Bed?
I have not had any issue with these sheets staying on the bed. The fitted sheet has deep pockets (16 inches on the queen-size set I tested) and it fits nicely over most mattresses. Additionally, the pillowcases are designed to be extra roomy, which I like. This prevents the end of your pillow from sticking out if the case shifts as you sleep.
With all that in mind, let’s go over who I recommend the California Design Den sheets for and who should consider another set of sheets.
Who should try California Design Den sheets
- If you love ultra-soft sheets, these buttery sateen sheets should be a great fit for you.
- If you are shopping on a budget, these sheets don’t break the $90 price point at full retail, even for the largest sizes. That’s a great deal on high-quality bed sheets.
- If you like sheets that add a pop of color, you will be happy to know that California Design Den offers these sheets in a variety of color options.
California Design Den sheets complaints
- If you are a hot sleeper, these sateen sheets might not be the best choice. They are decently thick and while I haven’t experienced overheating with them, they aren’t the most breathable cotton sheets out there. Take a look at our best cooling sheets for more options or our best cotton percale sheets for an airier cotton option.
- If you prefer a crisper sheet, these silky-soft sheets won’t match your desired feel. Again, a percale sheet might be a better choice for you.
- If you have an extra-tall twin, twin XL, or full size mattress, the 14-inch fitted sheet pockets may not be quite large enough to fit your bed snugly. Ideally, the pockets are a couple inches larger than the height of your bed.
California Design Den Sheets Prices, Sizes, and Colors
Wondering how much these sheets cost? Here’s a breakdown of prices by size. I’ll only be including pricing here for the 500-thread count sheets that I tested, as California Design Den offers these same sheets in a variety of thread counts at different price points.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size. To get our best deal, click one of the coupons throughout this article.
|Size||Flat Sheet (Inches)||Fitted Sheet (Inches)||Pillowcase (Inches)||Price|
|Twin||66″ x 100″||39″ x 75″ x 14″||21″ x 30″||$47.99|
|Twin XL||66″ x 100″||39″ x 80″ x 14″||21″ x 30″||$49.99|
|Full||84″ x 96″||54″ x 75″ x 14″||21″ x 30″||$64.99|
|Queen||90″ x 102″||60″ x 80″ x 16″||21″ x 30″||$64.99|
|King||112″ x 102″||78″ x 80″ x 16″||21″ x 40″||$69.99|
|California King||108″ x 106″||72″ x 84″ x 16″||21″ x 40″||$79.99|
|Split King||112″ x 102″||39″ x 80″ x 14″ (x2)||21″ x 40″||$89.99|
As I mentioned before, these sheets are offered in a variety of color options. These include:
- Light blue
- Blush pink
- Denim blue
- Light taupe
- Fresh navy blue
- Bright white
- Silver sage
- Bright white stripe
- Dark gray stripe
- Light gray stripe
- Ivory stripe
- Lavender stripe
- Sky blue stripe
California Design Den Sheets Policies and FAQs
How do the California Design Den sheets ship?
If you purchase through Amazon, these sheets are eligible for free shipping.
How do I clean the California Design Den sheets?
California Design Den recommends machine washing these sheets on a regular cycle and tumbling dry on low. They advise removing your sheets immediately after drying to prevent wrinkles. Additionally, use only non-chlorine bleach and mild fabric softeners.
Where are the California Design Den sheets made?
These sheets are manufactured in India.
What thread counts do the California Design Den sheets come in?
As I mentioned before I tested the 500-thread count sheets, but these sheets are also available in 400, 600, 800, and 1,000 thread counts.
California Design Den Sheets Vs
Still haven’t made your final decision? Here is a comparison with some competitor bed sheet sets to help you decide.
California Design Den Sheets vs Brooklinen Luxe Core Sheets
- The Brooklinen Luxe Core sheets are made from 100 percent long-staple cotton in a sateen weave. They have a 480-thread count. Overall, a fairly similar construction to the California Design Den sheets.
- The Luxe Core sheets have a satiny, buttery, smooth feel. They are also not a top choice for hot sleepers, but I found them more breathable than the California Design Den sheets.
- If you want entirely matching bedding, Brooklinen also offers matching duvet covers to go with this sheet set.
- Want to learn more? Read my full Brooklinen Luxe Core sheets review.
California Design Den vs Parachute Sateen Sheets
- The Parachute Sateen sheets are 100 percent long-staple Egyptian cotton sheets. Egyptian cotton is highly regarded as the highest-quality cotton fiber.
- Like the California Design Den sheets, these sheets feature 16-inch pockets on the fitted sheet. They also have envelope-style closure pillowcases.
- Similar to the California Design Den and Brooklinen sheets, the Parachute Sateen sheets are not particularly breathable or cooling.
- Curious to know more? Read my full Parachute Sateen sheets review.
Finally, here are my star ratings for the California Design Den sheets.