Sateen sheets are super silky, luxuriously lustrous, and considered by many to be a bedding essential. Most commonly seen in cotton, the sateen weave style offers a unique look and feel that’s suitable for sleepers of all styles. But with hundreds of options on the market, the process of picking the perfect sateen bedsheets can be a little overwhelming! But don’t worry, shoppers — I’m presenting our top four sateen sheet sets right here in this guide. Plus, I’ll impart our expert tips and tricks for finding the sheets that best fit your bed, body, and budget.
Best Sateen Sheets
- Saatva Organic Sateen Sheet Set – Editor’s Pick
- Puffy Sheets – Best Bamboo
- Brooklinen Luxe Core Sheet Set – Best Color Options
- California Design Den Sateen Sheet Set – Softest Feel
- Birch Organic Cotton – Best Organic
Saatva Organic Sateen Sheet Set
The luxury brand Saatva makes our favorite sateen sheets. They boast a smooth, satiny, and slick feel, thanks to their sateen weave, but still feel light and breathable. Their luxurious feel can also be attributed to quality materials. In fact, Saatva’s cotton is 100 percent GOTS-certified organic, long-staple, and Fair Trade certified. So, you can get cozy knowing your sheets are made from quality, ethically-produced materials.
- With a thread count of 300 and long-staple cotton, this proves to be a durable sateen sheet set.
- It has deep pockets, fitting mattresses up to 16 inches in height.
- This set comes in a number of different sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, split king, queen Upper-Flex, and king Upper-Flex (for their Solaire Upper-Flex mattress model).
- These sheets are light and breathable for a sateen sheet set, so they’re not great for those looking for warm options.
- We found these sheets to wrinkle pretty easily.
Read our Saatva Organic Sateen sheets review.
The luxury brand Saatva makes sateen sheets that boast a smooth, satiny, and slick feel. They have a 300-thread count and are made with organic, long-staple cotton.
Bamboo is known for being hypoallergenic and cooling. If you’re on the hunt for quality bamboo sheets, check out the Puffy sheets set. The 100 percent pure bamboo viscose is naturally hypoallergenic and breathable. These soft and silky sheets are also OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified, which means they surpass the highest standards for chemical safety.
- Their excellent materials and thread count of 300 result in a long-lasting option.
- These sheets can fits mattresses up to 15 inches in height.
- Puffy offers an extremely generous 101-night sleep trial and lifetime warranty, along with free shipping and returns.
- They don’t have many fun color options. Puffy sheets are only available in gray and white.
- Bamboo sheets are often prone to wrinkling, and the Puffy sheets are no exception.
To learn more, read our full Puffy Bamboo sheets review.
If you’re on the hunt for quality bamboo sheets, check out the Puffy Bamboo set. The 100 percent pure bamboo viscose is naturally hypoallergenic and breathable.
Best Color Options
Brooklinen Luxe Core Sheet Set
When it comes to a bedroom, customization and individuality are crucial. Luckily, the sateen weave Brooklinen Core Luxe sheets come in a variety of colors. This includes neutral options, colorful options, and patterned options (with some limited edition options as well).
- While they’re heavier sheets, we thought they were overall pretty breathable.
- It has a thread count of 480 and should prove to be quite durable.
- These sheets use luxury materials that boast a soft and buttery feel, similar to hotel sheets.
- The fitted sheet is 15 inches deep — a good size — but if you have an especially tall mattress or mattress topper, it might not be quite large enough.
- While it’s breathable for a sateen sheet, the Brooklinen Luxe Core sheets aren’t ideal for super hot sleepers.
Read our Brooklinen Luxe Sateen sheets review.
The sateen weave Brooklinen Core Luxe sheets have a thread count of 480, boast a soft feel, and come in a variety of color options.
California Design Den Sateen Sheet Set
Woven from long-staple cotton and spun into a silky sateen weave, these sheets are lustrous, elegant, and incredibly soft. Plus, they feature a luxuriously high thread count of 500, which serves to boost the smoothness of the finished fabric.
- These sateen sheets have a lustrous sheen, ideal for sleepers who prefer a shiny appearance to a matte finish.
- This bedding is woven from long-staple cotton, a material known for its extra soft feel and strong durability.
- The fitted sheet in this set has deep 16-inch pockets, as well as a thick elastic band that spans the entire perimeter.
- If you’re searching for crisp cotton sheets, you should look elsewhere. These are smooth and silky to the touch.
- If your mattress is less than 12 inches thick, you might find that the fitted sheet in this set is a bit baggy.
Read our California Design Den sheets review to learn more.
The California Design Den Sateen Sheet Set are an extremely soft yet durable option.
Birch Organic Cotton Sheet Set
It’s important to know what it is you’re laying down on at night. With the Birch Organic Cotton sheets, eco-conscious shoppers won’t have to worry. The cotton used in this set passes rigorous standards for materials and manufacturing — these sheets are both GOTS and Fair Trade certified.
- The Birch Organic Cotton sheets have a luxurious, satin-like feel.
- This set fits beds up to 15 inches in height. It has tags indicating the head and foot of the sheet.
- These sheets are machine washable, though they should be washed gently.
- For a crisp cotton feel, you’ll want to search for another sheet set.
- You might have to iron these sheets to get rid of any wrinkles.
Read our Birch Organic Cotton sheets review.
With the Birch Organic Cotton sheets, eco-conscious shoppers won’t have to worry. The cotton used in this set pass rigorous materials and manufacturing standards.
How To Shop for Sateen Sheets
Now that we’ve taken a look at our top four favorite sateen sheet sets, let’s talk about the methodology behind these picks. While sheet shopping has a lot to do with personal preference, there are some helpful tips and tricks to follow when you’re searching for the bedding that best meets your sleep needs.
Choosing the Right Type of Cotton
Regardless of the weave style you’re going for, the first thing to pay attention to is the type of cotton used. Be on the lookout for the superior long or extra-long staple cotton. Keep this rule of thumb in mind: the longer the cotton staple, the softer and more durable the sheets will be.
For example, Egyptian cotton has a reputation for being exceptionally smooth and strong thanks to its extra-long fibers (fibers and staples are the same thing). Supima cotton is another popular example of this, but they aren’t the only high-quality options out there. Any cotton sheet set that advertises long or extra-long staples is a pretty safe bet!
Once you’ve found the type of cotton you’re looking for, you can pay closer attention to its sateen weave. Some sateen sheets offer a super luminous sheen, while others are more subtle in their luster. Additionally, some cotton sateen sheets are blended with another material in order to make the fabric more or less silky. So be sure to make meticulous note of the “product description” as written by the retailer itself in order to uncover all the details.
Next, consider thread count. It’s important to note that thread count isn’t the primary indicator of quality, and kind of loses its value if you’re not working with high-quality materials. But when it comes to long or extra-long staple cotton, a high thread count can say a lot about the fabric’s feel and performance.
When it comes to cotton sateen sheets, a thread count of 300-600 is a great benchmark to follow. If the thread count falls within that range, it’s more likely to be luxuriously soft, smooth, and long-lasting. But be wary of sheets that advertise a thread count of 1,000 or higher, as that’s a good sign that the fabric was woven from shorter, weaker fibers.
Colors, Prints & Patterns
Once you’ve ironed out the material details, take some time to think about which colors, prints, and patterns suit your personal aesthetic best. It is your bedroom, after all, and you should pick the sheets that reflect your unique style. That said, you’ll find that some brands offer more color options than others, so we suggest you browse a bit before committing to a retailer that doesn’t offer your ideal sheet style.
It’s also important to note that most colored sheets fade a little bit after the first few washes. Imagine what it would look like just a few shades lighter in order to get the truest sense of its ultimate hue. Additionally, keep in mind that long and extra-long staple cotton is more likely to retain color over time.
Cotton is a natural fiber, so your cotton sateen sheet set can most likely be washed and dried from the comfort of your home. That said, we always like to check the exact care instructions as given by the bedding brand itself before throwing them in the wash. At the end of the day, no one knows how to care for your sheets better than the folks who made them. Be sure to protect your bedding investment with proper maintenance.
If you want, you can even line-dry sateen sheets when possible. High-heat dry cycles can cause pilling, color fading, or reduce the beautiful luster that’s unique to a sateen weave. Of course, if you do decide to machine-dry your sheets, we recommend using a low-heat cycle, and avoid dryer sheets, if you can. Fabric softener and dryer sheets have been known to leave a residue on the surface fibers of your bedding, which can potentially irritate those with sensitive skin.
Finally, don’t forget to wash your sheets once a week in order to keep them fresh, clean, and cozy.
Price, Trial Periods, & Returns
The cost of cotton sateen bedsheets ranges quite a bit, and is influenced by things like style, size, fiber length, and popularity of the brand itself. Typically, long-staple cotton like Egyptian or Supima are more expensive but, again, there are a lot of factors at play when it comes to price. Take some time to shop around and compare costs.
Additionally, we recommend taking advantage of a brand’s trial period whenever it’s offered. For those who are unfamiliar, many bedding retailers offer a trial period wherein shoppers get a set amount of time to personally test a product. If you decide (after the trial period is up) that you don’t like your new sheets, just send them back for a full refund. This should ease the purchasing pressure a bit!
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Okay, sleepers, we’ve almost reached the end of this guide, so let’s recap some helpful tips before you start shopping:
- Trial vs Returns – A trial period is not the same thing as a return policy, and each one comes with different stipulations. For example, some retailers will not refund your purchase unless your sheets are unpackaged and unused, while others encourage you to personally test them. So be sure to check the details of each brand’s trial and return policies before you make your purchase.
- OEKO-TEX Certification – Keep an eye out for sateen sheets that have been OEKO-TEX certified, as this guarantees that no harsh chemicals, pesticides, or dyes were used to make them.
- Wash Care – It can be beneficial to wash your sheets as soon as they arrive in order to eliminate any packaging odor or residue they might have. Plus, that first wash cycle gives you a good idea of how well your new sheets will retain their color.
Now that you’ve seen our favorite sateen bedding and learned all about how to shop for sheets, you’re ready to find the set that’s right for you. Just be sure to take advantage of those trial periods when they’re offered, pay close attention to the material details, and pick the style that suits you best! Sweet dreams, everybody.