In an era where many people are becoming more conscious of their own skin sensitivities and even more are opting for all-natural materials, there has been a boom in alternatives to synthetic mattresses. Bamboo and bamboo charcoal have become a go-to for many people seeking options beyond latex mattresses. and even to the best memory foam mattresses, for their natural cooling and sweat-wicking properties, as well as their sensitivity towards easily irritated skin.
This is our breakdown of some of our favorite bamboo mattresses that you can pick up today. In this guide, we’ll look at a number of creative uses for bamboo fiber, from bamboo charcoal-infused memory foam to plush bamboo mattress toppers, all designed to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Best Bamboo Mattresses of 2021
- Editor’s Pick – Lucid 12
- Top Contender – BedStory 12
- Best Expandable – Dahlia Charcoal
- Best Layered Mattress – Warm Harbor 12
- Best Pillow Top – Easeland
- The blend of a bamboo charcoal memory foam layer and an aloe vera layer is a great use of all-natural materials to support airflow and sweat-wicking while eliminating odor.
- The all-natural materials are great for those with sensitive skin.
- Because of the hybrid nature of the mattress, you’re getting the best of both worlds: the firmness of the steel coils are balanced nicely with layers of memory foam.
- Because of the addition of coils for added support, this mattress can be a bit firmer than a purely foam mattress. If you’re looking for straight plush, you may want to explore other options.
This hybrid mattress features the best of all worlds. Not only does it include a top layer of bamboo charcoal for skin sensitivity and cooling, but it includes a transition layer of aloe vera-infused transition foam which aids in odor reduction. These layers sit atop a layer of individually encased steel coils for an added layer of support.
- Because of the combination of foam materials, this mattress is incredibly lightweight compared to others in the category with a package weight of less than 40 pounds.
- The bamboo charcoal-infused memory foam top layer is designed to absorb heat and circulate air for a cooler night’s sleep.
- The mattress’ hypoallergenic and antimicrobial materials are made to stay fresh and clean.
- Because of the softness and relative thinness of the top three foam layers, this mattress may be better suited to back and stomach sleepers than side sleepers.
This 12-inch memory foam mattress influses bamboo charcoal gel into the material for added cooling, comfort, and sweat wicking. The three-inch bamboo gel foam top layer is bolstered by an additional three inches of convoluted (eggcrate) foam, and then six inches of high-density foam for added support. The mattress also includes a hypoallergenic surface cover for added breathability and protection for sensitive skin.
Best Bamboo Mattress With Expanded Sleep Surface
Dahlia 11” Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress
- The Wedge Edge feature is great for keeping the softness of the top layers consistent all over and increasing the longevity of the mattress by combatting sagging.
- The combination of the bamboo charcoal top layer, the additional memory foam layer and the Air Channel polyurethane base layer keep the mattress cool and feeling fresh.
- The mattress is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and sweat-wicking with the bamboo charcoal top layer, which is great on sensitive skin.
- Because of the nature of the foam materials, the expansion and off-gassing process right out of the shipping package can leave a strong smell for 48 hours or more, but the smell will eventually dissipate.
This foam mattress is designed to promote airflow. With a proprietary polyurethane Air Channel base, a two-inch memory foam layer and a two-inch bamboo charcoal top layer, this mattress has the interests of the hot sleeper at heart. What sets it apart, however, is its patented edge-to-edge wedge design, which is designed to not only combat sagging, but provides an additional 20% to the sleeping surface.
Best Layered Bamboo Mattress
Warm Harbor 12
- The layers of foam are balanced nicely by the firm base layer, providing a plush top with firm support for all types of sleepers.
- Perfect for sensitive skin, this CertiPUR-US certified mattress is made of antibacterial, hypoallergenic materials.
- The aeration in the memory foam top layer combined with the other foam layers helps promote airflow for a cooler night’s sleep.
- Because the bamboo charcoal layer is separated by a top layer of memory foam, you don’t get the full benefits of its sweat-wicking properties.
This four-layered foam mattress from Warm Harbor is topped with a two-inch aerated memory foam layer, followed by two inches of bamboo charcoal, two inches of convoluted foam, and then six inches of high-density supportive base foam. Breathable, antibacterial, hypoallergenic, and dust mite resistant, this mattress is built for a clean, comfortable night’s sleep.
Best Bamboo Pillow Top Mattress
EASELAND Bamboo Pillow Top and Innerspring Hybrid 12
- The three-inch bamboo fiber pillow topper not only provides a plush, comfortable layer, but the soft fabric is perfect for sensitive skin.
- The mattress’ combination of foam and coils provides a great balance of support and comfort.
- The layers of foam directly beneath the pillow top are aerated to encourage airflow and keep the mattress cool.
- Though the mattress does contain foam layers, because it’s packing so many layers in a small space, the amount of foam can be a bit lacking for those looking for a more plush sleeping surface.
With nine discrete layers all topped with a three-inch plush bamboo fiber pillow top, this mattress looks to provide the softness of foam with the support of coils. Below the pillow top are three layers of breathable memory foam, polyurethane support foam, and a layer of individually wrapped coils, all working in harmony in hopes of promoting pressure point relief.
How We Picked the Best Bamboo Mattress
Bamboo and bamboo charcoal are wonderful, innovative materials and welcome additions to the modern mattress landscape (though obviously bamboo has been used for countless purposes for centuries). There are a number of ways to use this material to great effect in a mattress; here are some of the considerations we made when selecting the best bamboo mattresses.
Bamboo in Relation to Other Layers
Oftentimes bamboo and bamboo charcoal are best incorporated as a top layer of a thicker mattress. The sweat-wicking and naturally skin-sensitive material is great to have as close to you as possible for best intended results. But what is the makeup of the rest of the mattress? We tended to favor those that rounded out the mattress with additional foam and a sturdy base layer.
Thickness of the Bamboo Layer
That said, we also considered the ratio of the bamboo layer to the rest of the mattress. If it’s one inch of bamboo-infused foam layers of memory foam beneath the mattress top, you’re not really seeing its effects. We liked mattresses provided as much of the material as possible (typically three inches was standard).
Breathability of the Mattress
This speaks to the first two points, but one of the major benefits of bamboo charcoal or bamboo layer is cooling and sweat-wicking. Why counteract that benefit with dense, hot latex? We favored mattresses whose other layers were also designed to promote airflow.
Tips for Selecting a Bamboo Mattress
Choosing the right bamboo or bamboo charcoal mattress is an exciting proposition; as a relative newcomer to the mattress materials world, it can be a great relief to find a natural solution to skin sensitivity and hot or sweaty sleeping. Here are some things to keep in mind as you’re choosing a bamboo mattress.
- Mattress Thickness: Many of the mattresses mentioned come in multiple sizes and thicknesses. Of course, you’re going to choose the right size based on your bed frame (twin, queen, king, etc.) but height can be a slightly trickier proposition. Make sure you measure your bed’s height so you’re getting the proper thickness for the space.
- Foam or Coil: Most mattresses featured will contain either a firm base layer of support foam or a layer of individually wrapped internal coils. Coils can add more weight to the mattress, while also providing more give compared to a hard foam layer.
Recapping the Top Bamboo Mattresses
With advances made in the mattress market over the past decade, there are now countless alternatives for those with sensitive skin or those looking for more natural materials to sleep on. Bamboo and bamboo charcoal are a great option for their naturally cooling and sweat-wicking properties, and can be a gamechanger for those who are easily irritated by synthetic mattress materials.
Are bamboo mattresses good?
For those looking for a more natural material option in a mattress, bamboo can be a great choice. It’s naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic as well as cooling and sweat-wicking, which makes it a solid option, especially for those in warmer climates or those who sleep hot.
What are the benefits of a bamboo mattress?
Bamboo mattresses are mainly beneficial for their sensitivity and cooling. As an all-natural material, bamboo is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic, which makes them a good option for those with sensitive skin. They also circulate air well and are naturally sweat-wicking, which helps control temperature.
What is the best bamboo mattress?
While there are a number of bamboo mattress options on the market, the best ones provide a mix of bamboo or bamboo charcoal with other materials like memory foam and a firmer foam or spring base. The mattresses that provided the best balance of bamboo and other layers are the LUCID 12″ Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Infused Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress and the BedStory 12″ Bamboo Charcoal Infused Gel Memory Foam Mattress.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020