A mattress protector can serve a variety of functions, from protecting against liquid spills, to particles, or even pesky allergens. A good mattress protector can add years to the life of your mattress by proper maintenance and care.
Today we’re going to be looking at the Bedical Care mattress encasement. This protector is a 6-sided protector that is waterproof and boasts protective qualities against allergens, dirt, dust mites and bed bugs. Keep reading below as we dive into the Bedical Care mattress encasement.
Don’t have time to delay? Click here to jump right to the summary.
The Bedical Care mattress protector has a 100% cotton terry cover with a 100% polyurethane backing for a waterproof finish. It feels quite thin, which helps allow air to continue to flow through the encasement.
There is a zipper closure at the base of the protector that wraps around to the sides of the mattress to make it easier to get the encasement on and off. There is also a velco flap that covers the zipper when closed and helps prevent it from snagging on bedding.
This mattress encasement is a 6-sided protector that offers maximum coverage and protection of your mattress. It fits mattresses up to 18” deep.
The Bedical Care mattress protector is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
Protection & Invisibility
- Protect the mattress – The protection would include particles, liquid spills, allergens, dust mites, bed bugs, etc.
- Protect with virtual invisibility – A good mattress protector will protect the mattress from the ailments listed above and do so with without changing the feel of the mattress below.
Liquid spills on an unprotected mattress can mean disaster. These spills can be quick and noticeable or an unspotted incident. Either way, a good mattress will provide complete protection from these accidents, leaving your protector as crisp and pristine as the day you put it on.
In order to truly evaluate the protection of this mattress encasement, I put it through a series of tests.
Test #1 – 2 minute, 16 ounces of liquid
This first test is short and represents a spill that happens quickly, but you notice it and are able to quickly clean it without giving it too much time to set in. Will your mattress be saved after all? Or will the spill be too quick?
- Spill Test – In this test, I dyed 16 ounces of water, poured it onto the protector, let it sit for two minutes and then cleaned the protector. After two minutes, I removed the protect and threw it in the wash.
- After Wash Cycle – After a normal wash/dry cycle, this mattress protector showed no signs of color retention or other damage. This protector successfully protected the mattress from the liquid stain and after the wash was in like-new condition.
Test #2 – 2 hours, 16 ounces of liquid
This next test is a longer duration and represents a spill that happened at some time, but you don’t notice it until hours later. By the time you find it, it may even have already dried fully. Will a wash/dry cycle be able to save this set-in stain?
- Spill Test – For this test, I dyed 16 ounces of water, poured it onto the protector, let it sit for 2 hours and then tried to clean the protector. After the 2 hours were up, I removed the protector from the mattress and threw it in the washing machine.
- After Wash Cycle – After a normal wash/dry cycle, the Bedical Care mattress protector was restored to like-new condition and retained no noticeable signs of dyes or color staining.
The Bedical Care mattress protector is one of the most effective waterproof mattress protectors I’ve tested to date. Even after 2 hours of the liquid spill sitting on the protector, the liquid still failed to penetrate the cover.
Some other waterproof protectors are designed to absorb the liquid spill into the protector, but prevent it from penetrating into the mattress. This protector is not like those. This mattress encasement is designed to wick away liquid. Even after 2 hours, I was able to easily soak up nearly all of the spill with just a couple paper towels.
Allergens, Dust & Dirt
Being a 6-sided protector, the Bedical Care mattress protector provided excellent protection against allergens, dust mites, bed bugs, and the like. Although my mattress was only 13” thick, this protector still had a nice fit on the mattress.
The zippered closure is really the feature that sets this protector apart from other 5-sided protectors. In addition, the Bedical Care mattress protector is the only 6-sided waterproof mattress protector I have tested, to date.
Noise and Cooling
Regarding noise and coiling, this protector performed well. The soft terry-cloth top was soft to the touch and lacked the scratchy or slick feel of a cheaper made waterproof protector.
This protector is also quite thin. The thinness of this protector allows more air to circulate through the protector and resists additional heat retention. That being said, this is not designed to specifically be a cooling mattress protector.
I would recommend the Bedical Care mattress protector to sleepers who:
- Want a six-sided protector – Sleepers looking for the enhanced protection that comes with a 6-sided mattress encasement may really like this protector. The enhanced zipper closure of this protector makes it easier to get on and off (all things considered) and provides a great level of protection to your mattress.
- Want a waterproof protector – Liquid spills are one of the most common accidents for a mattress. The Bedical Care mattress protector not only is waterproof, but is also water-wicking, which keeps the liquid spills on the surface of the protector.
- Want a hypoallergenic protector – For the best of the best in allergy defense, a 6-sided, waterproof, hypoallergenic mattress encasement can be a fantastic investment. Limiting the ways in which allergens can penetrate your mattress is a great way to be on the defense against irritants.
For more information on the Bedical Care mattress protector check it out on Amazon.com.