Update – Amerisleep recently re-designed and re-named the Colonial. It is now the AS4. Read Amerisleep AS4 review here.
The last year has seen truly an explosion of new online mattress companies. In fact, most of this industry was born within the last year.
By that count Amerisleep’s history easily makes them one of the veterans of the online mattress industry. Amerisleep has been building great mattresses for almost a decade and has been selling them online since 2010. During the last 9 years they’ve developed some of the most high-quality foams, innovative materials, and well-made mattresses on the market.
For this Amerisleep mattress review we’ll be looking at their Colonial bed. Continue reading below for our full review or skip to the review summary if you’re in a rush and want the quick version.
| Amerisleep AS4 Coupon ||Claim Discount Here|
The Amerisleep Colonial mattress is a 13″ memory foam mattress constructed from 3 different layers of foam.
- Top layer (comfort layer) – this layer is 2.0″ of Bio-Pur+ memory foam. This highly responsive 4.0 pound memory foam is designed to provide great feel, softness, and pressure relief for the mattress. Bio-Pur+ is an all natural plant based memory foam designed and developed by Amerisleep. During manufacturing this foam goes through a process called reticulation. This process blows out the cell walls, while still keeping the memory foam intact. This results in a memory foam that sleeps incredibly cool and is able to breath much better during the night.
- Middle layer (support & transition layer) – this is a layer is 4″ SMT (Surface Modification Technology) foam. It has a density of 1.65 pounds. To create this foam Amerisleep uses large rollers to conform the foam in a specific pattern during the manufacturing process. This pattern allows for better airflow by creating breathable channels, while also adding additional support and redistribution of pressure points in specific zones where it is needed most.
- Bottom layer (foundational support) – this 7.0″ layer acts as a foundational support layer. It provides a good base for the above layers, while remaining breathable.
The cover has a modern 2-tone design. It provides a nice contrast between the white top and grey mesh perimeter. The top piece of fabric has a fairly traditional look and texture, combined with a great softness and feel.
The cover is constructed from a blend of fabrics. The fabric that runs along the edge is 100% polyester. The top piece of fabric is comprised of 21% Celliant, 2% spandex, and 77% polyester. Celliant is one of the most interesting and intriguing materials I’ve ever researched, let alone slept on.
Celliant is constructed from special thermo-reactive minerals. The thread is designed to turn body heat into infrared light. Celliant and infrared light have been clinically proven to increase blood flow, which allows your body to carry more oxygen. Better oxygenation of your body during the night translates into less pain, better temperature regulation, and more restful sleep.
Beneath the exterior cover you’ll also find a fire sock. This is a thin cover designed to replace traditional chemical based flame retardants and helps prevent mattress fires. The fire sock is constructed from rayon (man-made fiber created from wood pulp) and silica (sand). It’s GreenGuard certified, which means it doesn’t negatively impact air quality of the room and it’s not harmful to the environment.
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The Colonial mattress has a really wonderful softness to it. I would rate it at a 4 out of 10 on the firmness scale (where 10 is the most firm). The problem with soft mattresses is with softness you can lose support and it can begin to feel a bit like sleeping in quicksand. The Amerisleep mattress does a good job managing the softness by offering great responsiveness and support. During my sleep tests I slept on my stomach, back, and side. All 3 positions offered good support.
The attribute I like the most about the Colonial was simply the level of softness. Most online mattresses tend to aim more for a medium level of firmness, usually around a 6 out of 10. I love that this is a bit on the softer side.
Amerisleep as a company very clearly believes in the value of progressive improvements in their foams. Their memory foam is among the most advanced foams I’ve ever seen or sleep tested. Their newest foam, Bio-Pur+, which makes up the top layer of the Colonial is extremely well made and comfortable. As I mentioned above in the layers section, Bio-Pur+ goes through a process called reticulation. During this process the cell walls are blown out, while still maintaining the structure of the foam itself. This allows the foam to breath and get better airflow, improving the cooling.
Many memory foam mattresses I’ve slept on tend to sleep hot, which I will admit, was definitely a concern my first night on the Amerisleep Colonial. I was pleasantly surprised that the open cell structure cooling claims were well founded. Not only did the mattress not sleep hot like traditional memory foam, it’s one of the top mattresses in terms of coolness that I’ve tested and reviewed.
Like the sound of Amerisleep? Check out our complete review series on all 5 Amerisleep mattress models
All things considered, I really enjoyed the Colonial mattress’ comfort dynamic. Great cooling via open cell and breathable foams, a nice balanced softness with good hug / body contouring, and great support in every position.
Sinkage Tests & Motion Transfer
Every mattress review on Sleepopolis is put through 3 basic sinkage tests. This can help to give you an idea of how the mattress will perform under varying circumstances, positions, and loads.
- Normal lying position – in a normal lying down position where my weight was evenly distributed I saw 1-2″ of sinkage. There’s a little bit more variation with this mattress based on the portion of your body that the mattress is interacting with. This is due to the middle layer of the Colonial mattress, which is a transitional / adaptive support layer. This layer has been formed to provide extra support in the most common areas where more support is most needed.
- Sitting positions – I look at two positions for sitting. The first is a normal sitting position. In this position I am sitting further back on the mattress with my feet on the floor. In this position I saw about 3″ of sinkage. In a more extreme position, with all my weight directly over the edge of the bed I saw around 5″ of sinkage. Looking at the absolute sinkage values, these figures are a bit higher than many of the other mattresses I have reviewed. However, given that this is a 13″ mattress, the relative numbers are fairly typical of a foam mattress.
- Standing position – while standing in the middle of the mattress I saw about 5.5″ inches of sinkage. While you would never actually do this with your mattress I always like to run this test to show how it performs under maximum pressure.
Motion transfer was virtually zero. The memory foam does an exceptional job of minimizing any movements felt.
Think Amerisleep is the right choice for you? You can use this Sleepopolis coupon link to save an extra $50 off on any Amerisleep mattress order. This is $50 extra on top of the current Amerisleep promotion (which is usually in the $150 to $200 range).
- Warranty – 20 years, very long, the industry standard is about 10 years
- Shipping – 1-2 days processing, 1-5 days shipping via FedEx
- No Sales Tax – except for Arizona residents
- Trial Period – 90 days
- Refunds & Exchanges – 100% money back guaranteed, you may return or exchange your mattress within the trial period (you do have to pay for return shipping though)
- Made in the USA – 100% made and sourced within the USA
- Discounts – use this link to save $50 extra off
Overall, I really like the Amerisleep Colonial mattress. The technology that goes into the Colonial is impressive. At 13″ it’s the 2nd thickest mattress I’ve slept on, but more than that it’s the 6″ of specialty foam (2″ of Bio-Pur+ and 4″ of SMT transitional foam) that make the difference. This combination / thickness of foams create an amazingly soft feel, without sacrificing support. The extra thickness also adds better deep compression support, stability, and will increase the longevity of the mattress.
I would recommend the Amerisleep Colonial mattress to anyone who falls into the following categories:
- You want a softer mattress – it’s a 3-4 out of 10 on the firmness scale (where 10 is the most firm)
- You want a fair amount of sinkage / body contouring – you can expect 1-2″ of sinkage in a normal lying position with robust body hug / contouring
- Edge support is not a critical need – since it is so soft, the edge support isn’t amazing
- You want great cooling – the open cell structure of the Bio-Pur+ does an great job of minimizing heat retention, as a result the mattress sleeps quite cool
- You want to buy from an established company – Amerisleep has been building and selling mattresses for nearly a decade, they are fully established and have a great reputation
Impressive Technology & Great Feel
- Edge Support
The Amerisleep Colonial mattress is one of the most advanced memory foam mattresses I have ever slept on. The blown out cell walls of the Bio-Pur+ in addition to the 4″ layer of SMT transitional support foam offer impressive support, great comfort, and one of the most surprisingly cool surface layers I’ve experienced with memory foam. Amerisleep caps off a great product with great service, a 20 year warranty, a solid trial period, and one of the longest tenure periods amongst online mattress companies. Great mattress, great company, definitely worth serious consideration.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving: Lucid Mattress Giveaway! - December 26, 2018
- 25 Days of Giving: Nest Hybrid Natural Latex Giveaway! - December 23, 2018