The Nectar Premier is Nectar Sleep’s latest bed-in-a-box mattress. Like the original Nectar mattress, the Premier is a thick memory foam bed-in-a-box that provides plenty of pressure relief. Unlike the original Nectar, the Premier uses dual-action cooling technology to keep you cool throughout the night.
But is this new memory foam mattress right for you? To help you decide, I’m going to discuss the Nectar Premier’s feel, construction, and more below. Read on for a detailed review of this mattress, or skip down to my review summary for some quick info.
Is the Nectar Premier a Good Mattress for You?
Before we get into all the details, I’ll give you a quick overview of who the Nectar Premier could work best for. I’ll also let you know if this mattress is not the best choice for your needs. Take a look at both of the lists below to decide if the Nectar Premier could work for you.
Who I recommend the Nectar Premier for
- Side sleepers looking for lots of body-contouring and pressure point relief should be happy on this soft memory foam mattress.
- Back sleepers who like a soft feel should also enjoy the Nectar. Its gel memory foam layer does a great job filling in the lumbar region for some additional pressure relief.
- Anyone who loves the feel of memory foam should enjoy this mattress! It uses plenty of thick memory foam to offer the hug-like feel these folks are looking for.
Who I don’t recommend the Nectar Premier for
- Stomach sleepers will probably find the Premier too soft. I’d recommend these sleepers check out our best mattresses for stomach sleepers to find a firmer mattress.
- Heavy sleepers (over 250 lb) probably won’t get the support they need from the all-foam Nectar Premier. I’d recommend these folks opt for one of our best mattresses for heavy people instead.
- Combination sleepers might feel a little “stuck-in” this mattress. I’d recommend they take a look at one of our best innerspring mattresses instead. These beds will have a bouncier feel and make it easier to change sleeping positions throughout the night.
How Firm is the Nectar Premier Mattress?
Now that you know the basics, let’s dive into how this mattress feels! Remember, feel is subjective and a mattress will feel different to you depending on your body weight and preferred sleeping position. For reference, I’m a side sleeper who weighs about 125 lbs. If you’re heavier than me you may find this mattress softer than I did.
I thought the Nectar Premier was a soft mattress. I gave it a 5.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. For reference, the industry standard for medium-firmness is 6.5 out of 10. The Premier offered plenty of pressure-relieving sinkage, and felt great when I was on my side. I’d especially recommend this mattress to side sleepers, it should offer these folks plenty of cushion.
I also like this feel for back sleepers who like a pressure-relieving bed. It offers enough support that these sleepers should be able to maintain a proper spinal alignment, but it’s soft enough to really contour to the curves of your lower back. If you’re a back sleeper looking for a new mattress to replace your old Nectar Lush (which has been discontinued), I’d consider the Premier.
I wouldn’t recommend this bed to stomach sleepers, who need a firmer mattress to prevent their hips from sinking into the bed. One of our best firm mattresses might be a nice choice for these sleepers.
Similarly, combination sleepers might find the Premier’s hug-like feel uncomfortable. You feel more “in” than “on” this bed, so it won’t be easy to change positions throughout the night. This feel is typical of any of the best memory foam mattresses, so that shouldn’t deter you if you’re looking for a soft memory foam feel.
Nectar Premier Mattress Performance
To give you a more objective view of the Nectar Premier, I used a few of my specialized tools that are meant to mimic real life experiences you might have in bed, like sleeping with a partner and sleeping with different types of pain. I’ll detail the results of those tests below, but first I’ll share how this mattress works for different types of sleepers.
Testing the Nectar Premier Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Sleepers of different weights need different levels of support. Additionally, your preferred sleeping position is going to affect how a mattress feels for you. Take a look at some of my recommendations below.
Is the Nectar Premier a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – I think this is a nice mattress for light back sleepers, especially those looking for a really pressure-relieving feel.
- Light Side Sleepers – I’d readily recommend this bed to these sleepers, who need a plush feel to give them some sinkage at the hips and shoulders.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – The Nectar Premier is a touch too soft for these sleepers. Stomach sleepers need a firmer feel to keep their hips from sinking out of line with their shoulders.
Is the Nectar Premier a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – I’d recommend this bed to most average weight back sleepers. However, if you suffer from back pain and sleep on your back, I’d go with a firmer bed that will help keep your spine in a straight line.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – Side sleepers should really like this bed. It has a soft, pressure-relieving feel that should give them some much-needed contouring.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – Stomach sleepers won’t find what they need from this soft mattress. I’d recommend a firm mattress instead.
Is the Nectar Premier a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – This bed doesn’t have the level of support that heavy sleepers need.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – See above.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – See above.
Nectar Premier Mattress Pain Relief Performance
The first test I ran on the Premier shows how it relieves pain. A mattress that helps pain will exert low pressure on sensitive areas like the hips, shoulders, and lower back. Alleviating pressure in those spots can help prevent pain and stiffness over time.
To test out the Nectar Premier’s pressure relieving capabilities, I used a pressure map. I lay the map down on the bed and hopped on top. I tested out a few different sleeping positions, and the map recorded the pressure each caused. You’ll see my results in the graphic below. Low pressure areas will be blue to green on the map, and high pressure areas will be yellow to red.
Back Pain — As you can see the map was all blue at my back in all positions. This was a great representation of how the Nectar Premier felt to me; its top layer provided plenty of pressure relief around my lower back.
Shoulder Pain — The map is all blue around my shoulders in each position, which is a great sign. I always steer shoulder pain sufferers to a soft mattress like this one, since it provides some nice pressure relief.
Hip Pain – You’ll see a little green around my hips on my side, but that’s fairly standard for me on any mattress because I have bony hips! I’d say this is going to be a nice mattress for anyone who suffers from hip pain.
Nectar Premier Mattress Performance for Couples
If you sleep with a partner, you’ll want a few extra features in your mattress. The best mattress for couples is one that absorbs motion, is responsive enough for sex, has sturdy edges, and sleeps cool. See how the Nectar Premier stacks up on these factors below.
Motion transfer is a measure of how much movement travels from one side of the bed to the other. A mattress with low motion transfer is great for couples, because it will make it harder to feel disturbed by a restless bedmate.
To test out the Nectar Premier’s motion isolation, I dropped a steel ball onto the bed from different heights and measured the resulting disturbance with a seismometer. You can see the results of this test below.
These are pretty good motion transfer results, and show that you’d only be mildly disturbed by a restless partner on this bed. But I actually thought the Premier performed even better than the seismometer was indicating. To test out the Premier a little more, I had a coworker jump on the bed and roll around next to me so I could see how disturbed I felt.
I barely felt any motion at all when we tried this, so I’d say the Nectar Premier is a great choice for anyone who sleeps with a restless partner or pet. Its memory foam layers should do a good job of preventing too much motion transfer.
The best mattress for sex is going to be one that has a bit of bounce. Unfortunately, this bed has little to no bounce, so you might have a tough time switching positions during sex. I’d keep in mind that you usually have to sacrifice good motion absorption for bounce though, so it depends on which factor is more important to you as a couple.
Though some memory foam mattresses sleep hot, this bed actually sleeps super cool! That’s because it has a cooling cover and its top layer of memory foam has a gel infusion, which keeps it from trapping heat.
Finally, I tested out the Premier’s edge support. Edge support is a measure of whether or not you’ll be able to sleep all the way on the side of your bed and still feel supported. It’s a great feature for heavier people and couples who need to spread out over their entire sleeping surface.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t very impressed with the Nectar Premier’s edge support. I felt a bit unstable on the edge of this bed and wouldn’t recommend sleeping all the way on the side of this mattress. But, that’s pretty typical of most soft foam mattresses, so I wasn’t surprised by these results.
What is the Nectar Premier Mattress Made Of?
The 13-inch thick Nectar Premier mattress is made with plenty of memory foam to offer a pillowy feel. All its foams are CertiPUR-US® Certified, which means they’re free of any harmful chemicals or heavy metals. Read on below to see exactly what’s inside this bed.
Cover — The Nectar Premier’s cooling cover is made with polyethylene fiber. These fibers wick away heat and provide a cool to the touch sensation, which is a great perk for hot sleepers.
Comfort Layer — The top layer of this mattress is made of a breathable layer of gel memory foam. This foam is surface infused with Phase Change Material to prevent the mattress from trapping body heat and encourage airflow.
Transition Layer — Next up is a soft foam layer. This layer has a slow response to pressure and works with the layer of memory foam above it to provide plenty of pressure relief to sleepers.
Base Layer — Rounding things out is a support layer made of high-density poly foam. This layer provides overall support and durability to the mattress.
Nectar Premier Mattress Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The Nectar Premier is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it ships compressed in a box. You’ll have to unbox it at home (I’d recommend doing this with your partner or a friend, as the mattress can tend to expand pretty quickly one you start getting the plastic off). Though I typically recommend waiting 24 hours for decompression, with this mattress I’d wait at least 48 hours after unboxing before using it. Some customers said it has a strong off-gassing smell, so you’ll want to give it plenty of time to air out.
Still not sure if the Nectar Premier mattress is for you? I can’t make the decision for you, but I can leave you with a few last thoughts to help you decide for yourself.
My favorite things about the Nectar Premier mattress
My favorite thing about the Nectar Premier is its great pressure relief. This soft mattress is a great fit for side sleepers looking for plush comfort. It might also be a nice fit for sleepers who deal with shoulder pain.
I also appreciate that the Premier sleeps cooler than the original Nectar. Most memory foam mattresses tend to trap body heat and sleep hot, so I really appreciate the extra cooling technology in the Nectar Premier.
My Nectar Premier mattress complaints
My biggest complaint about the Nectar Premier is that it lacks edge support. This makes me think heavier folks especially will struggle to get the support they need from this bed. This is an issue with most all-foam beds, so I’d recommend that sleepers looking for a bed with a strong edge take a look at some of our best hybrid mattresses instead.
I’ll also note here that customers commonly complain about the original Nectar’s strong off-gassing smells. I didn’t think the Premier smelled any stronger than a typical bed-in-a-box mattress when it was unboxed. But if you are worried about odor I’d recommend opening your bedroom windows and letting your new mattress air out for 24 hours before adding sheets to the bed.
How Much Does the Nectar Premier Cost?
Price is a huge factor in any mattress purchasing decision. Take a look at the chart below for pricing and sizing information. And be sure to visit our Nectar mattress coupon page to get a deal on this bed.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Twin||39" x 75" x 13"||$1,297|
|Twin XL||39" x 80" x 13"||$1,347|
|Full||54" x 75" x 13"||$1,697|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 13"||$1,797|
|King||76" x 80" x 13"||$2,097|
|Cal King||72" x 84" x 13"||$2,097|
Nectar Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Nectar Premier come with a sleep trial period?
Yes, all Nectar mattresses come with a 365-night trial. If you decide you don’t like your new mattress, you can return it for a full refund after testing it out for at least 30 days.
Does the Nectar Premier come with a mattress warranty?
Yes, all Nectar mattresses come with a lifetime warranty. This forever warranty is a great perk of buying a Nectar!
How does the Nectar Premier mattress ship?
The Nectar Premier ships for free and it will arrive compressed in a box. But, if you prefer to have someone set up your new mattress for you you can choose the white glove delivery option at checkout for an additional charge. Nectar will also remove your old mattress or box spring from your home for an additional fee.
Does the Nectar Premier mattress need a box spring?
No, you don’t need a box spring with this bed, any hard flat surface will work to support it. You can also use a slatted bed frame or adjustable base.
Can you flip the Nectar Premier mattress?
No, you can’t flip this bed. If you’re worried about wear you can rotate it 180 degrees every few months.
Nectar Premier Mattress Vs
To give you a better idea of whether or not the Nectar Premier could work for you I’ve compared it to some similar beds from a few other online mattress companies.
Nectar Premier vs Casper
- The Casper is also an all-foam mattress.
- Unlike the Premier, the Casper has a more medium-firm to firm feel.
- If you struggle with back pain, the Casper’s zoned support system might be a good fit for you. It should offer some extra lower back support where you need it.
- Interested in this mattress? Learn more in the full Casper mattress review, or head over to the Nectar vs Casper mattress comparison for more information on how these beds compare.
Nectar Premier vs Tuft & Needle
- The Tuft & Needle is an all-foam mattress with a firm feel.
- Back sleepers might really like the balance of pressure-relief and support this mattress offers.
- The Tuft & Needle’s adaptive foam construction ensures that this mattress sleeps cool.
- Find out more in the full Tuft & Needle mattress review. You can also take a look at our Nectar vs Tuft & Needle mattress comparison for a more in-depth comparison of these two beds.
Other Models from Nectar
Nectar also makes another memory foam mattress model. I’ve compared it to the Nectar Premier below to give you an idea of what it might feel like!
Nectar Premier Mattress vs Original Nectar Mattress
- The original Nectar feels firmer than the Nectar Premier.
- The Nectar Premier sleeps cooler than the original Nectar, so hot sleepers might prefer it.
- The original Nectar is less expensive than the Nectar Premier.
- Head over to the Nectar mattress review for more information on the brand’s flagship offering!
Nectar Premier Mattress vs Nectar Premier Copper Mattress
- The Copper is a medium-firm memory foam mattress.
- The Copper is the coolest mattress in the Nectar line.
- The Copper includes thicker layers of memory foam than the Original or Premier mattresses.
- Learn more in the full Nectar Premier Copper mattress review.
Still not sure if the Nectar Premier is the right choice for you? Take a look at some of our ratings below to decide!
- Edge Support