The Nectar Premier Copper is the latest and greatest mattress from Nectar Sleep. Billed as the brand’s most cooling mattress yet, this memory foam bed-in-a-box combines copper, gel, and Phase Change Material to combat the heat-trapping tendencies of memory foam. But is it right for your sleep needs?
To help you find out, I’m going to describe the Premier Copper’s feel, materials, and more in this mattress review. Keep reading to learn more about this memory foam mattress, or skip over to my review summary to save time!
Is the Nectar Premier Copper a Good Mattress for You?
I’ll start by answering the most important question: which sleepers should consider the Nectar Premier Copper? Take a look at my lists below to see which sleep needs this bed could work best for.
Who I recommend the Nectar Premier Copper mattress for
- Side sleepers might really like the body-contouring feel of the Premier Copper. It should offer them plenty of pressure relief around the shoulders and hips.
- Back sleepers might like this bed’s medium-firm feel. It should offer these sleepers a nice balance of pressure relief and support.
- Hot sleepers should appreciate that the Premier Copper was built to sleep cooler than a traditional memory foam mattress.
Who I don’t recommend the Nectar Premier Copper mattress for
- Stomach sleepers will probably find this mattress too soft. I’d recommend these folks check out our best mattresses for stomach sleepers to find a more supportive option.
- Combination sleepers might prefer a more responsive mattress. Like any of the best memory foam mattresses, the Premier Copper offers sinkage instead of bounce.
- If you’re someone who prefers a firm mattress the Premier Copper won’t be a good fit for you. I’d recommend checking out one of our best firm mattresses to find a better fit.
How Firm is the Nectar Premier Copper Mattress?
Now that you know which sleepers the Premier Copper is best for, let’s talk about what it actually feels like. Keep in mind that feel is subjective, and a mattress will feel different to you depending on your body weight and preferred sleeping position. For reference, I’m a side sleeper who weighs about 125 lbs, so this mattress might feel firmer to me than it would to an average or heavy weight sleeper.
I gave the Nectar Premier Copper mattress a 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. This means it is a true medium-firm mattress. The longer you spend on this Nectar, the farther into its gel memory foam layers you’ll sink, so it may feel more medium-soft when you wake up in the morning.
This Nectar did a great job of contouring to my body, something most memory foam lovers should appreciate. Combination sleepers, on the other hand, might prefer a more responsive mattress that offers a bit more mobility.
Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Perfomance
I also put the Premier Copper through a few tests to make sure it’s as high-quality as it seems to be at first glance. Below, I’ll describe the pain relief, motion transfer, cooling, and edge support this mattress offers. But first, I’ll share how it works for different body types.
Testing the Nectar Premier Copper Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Sleepers of different weights need different levels of support, and depending on your preferred sleeping position, the mattress will have a unique feel. Take a look at some of my recommendations below.
Is the Nectar Premier Copper a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – Back sleepers who like the feel of memory foam contouring to their lower back should like this bed.
- Light Side Sleepers – I’d recommend this mattress’s pressure-relieving feel to side sleepers in need of softness at the shoulders and hips. This bed does a great job of cushioning those sensitive pressure points.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – Stomach sleepers might prefer a firmer bed that offers a little more support. The soft foams in the Nectar might let stomach sleepers’ hips sink too far into the bed, creating an uncomfortable bend in their spines.
Is the Nectar Premier Copper a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – I like this bed for average weight back sleepers. It offers some nice contouring at the lower back that feels really comfortable.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – I also think this bed is a nice choice for these sleepers. However, if you suffer from hip pain I might steer you toward something a bit softer.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – This bed isn’t firm enough for these sleepers. They should opt for a firm mattress that will keep their hips propped up in line with their shoulders.
Is the Nectar Premier Copper a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – I wouldn’t readily recommend this bed to stomach sleepers. I generally steer heavier folks away from all-foam beds and towards more supportive innerspring mattresses.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – See above.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – See above.
Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Pain Relief Performance
A mattress that helps pain is going to relieve pressure on sensitive areas by evenly distributing your weight. A mattress with good pressure relief will cushion sensitive joints rather than concentrating your body weight around them. Nectar’s memory foam mattresses normally do a great job relieving pressure, so I was excited to test out the Premier Copper!
To measure pressure relief, I put a pressure map down on the bed and lay down in a few different positions. The map ranges from blue to green in low pressure areas and yellow to red in high pressure areas. Take a look below to see the results of this test.
Back Pain— As you can see, the Premier Copper did a great job distributing my weight when I was on my back (which is the best position to sleep in if you have back pain). I felt supported and comfortable in this position, and really liked how the Nectar’s top layer of foam filled in my lumbar region.
Shoulder Pain — I think this is a fine mattress for shoulder pain for most sleepers. However, if you’re a side sleeper with severe shoulder pain, I’d opt for something just a bit plusher.
Hip Pain — Similar to shoulder pain, this mattress is good for most sleepers with hip pain. However, if you’re a side sleeper with hip pain you’re going to need a softer mattress to better cushion that area.
Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Performance for Couples
If you sleep with a partner, you’re going to want to keep a few extra things in mind when shopping for a mattress. You’ll want a bed that absorbs your partner’s movements, is good for sex, sleeps cool, and has sturdy edges. Take a look at how I think the Nectar Premier Copper measures up in these categories.
Next up I tested out the Premier Copper’s motion transfer. To do this, I used a seismometer to measure the disturbance caused by dropping a steel ball onto the mattress from various heights. This test is important if you share your bed with a partner or pet, because it indicates whether or not you’re going to feel disturbed when they move around at night.
The Premier Copper had great motion transfer results! If you’re looking for a good mattress for couples this may be one to consider, since you’re unlikely to feel disturbed by a restless bedmate on this bed. The Nectar’s cooling construction is also a nice perk for anyone who shares a bed, since sleeping with a partner tends to generate more body heat than sleeping alone.
The Nectar Premier Copper has a much more “in” than “on top” of the bed feel, which can make switching positions during sex a bit more difficult. I typically recommend bouncier mattresses as the best beds for sex.
The Premier Copper has a cooling construction that is a nice perk for anyone who shares a bed, since sleeping with a partner tends to generate more body heat than sleeping alone.
I also tested out the Premier Copper’s edge support. Edge support is a measure of whether or not you’ll be able to sleep all the way on the side of your mattress and still feel supported. Most all-foam mattresses don’t offer great edge support, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Premier Copper had a strong edge. I felt stable and supported on the side of this bed, which is another perk for couples looking for a new mattress.
What is the Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Made Of?
Since you can’t see the Premier Copper yourself, I cut open the cover to give you a look at all the layers inside. Hopefully, this will give you an even better idea of what this 14-inch tall mattress might feel like to you!
Cover — The Nectar’s cooling cover is made with polyethylene and copper fibers. Both these fibers help promote airflow and give this bed a cool-to-the-touch feel.
Comfort Layer — Next up is a comfort layer made of gel memory foam. This slow-moving layer’s surface is infused with Phase Change Material. This means that it won’t trap body heat the way traditional memory foam does. This layer offers plenty of pressure relief and motion isolation to sleepers.
Transition Layer — Next up is a soft polyfoam layer that helps ease sleepers down onto the base layer below it. This layer feels similar to memory foam and offers some additional cushion to sleepers.
Support Layer — A layer of high-density polyfoam base rounds out this mattress. This foam is used in many bed-in-a-box mattresses and offers support and durability to the rest of the bed.
Nectar Premier Copper Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The Premier Copper is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it ships compressed in a box. You’ll need to unbox it at home (preferably with help, since the box can be heavy and the mattress can expand quickly once unwrapped). Before sleeping on this mattress, I’d recommend waiting at least 48 hours after unboxing for it to fully decompress and release any trapped gasses.
Well, we’ve reached the end of my review! Still not sure whether or not the Nectar Premier Copper mattress is for you? I can’t decide for you, but I can leave you with a few final pros and cons that might help.
My favorite things about the Nectar Premier Copper mattress
My favorite thing about this mattress is that it’s built with cooling technology. A lot of memory foam mattresses trap body heat and sleep hot. The Premier Copper works to fix this issue, and sleeps cooler than any other mattress in the Nectar Sleep line.
I also really like the medium-firm memory foam feel of this bed. I find some memory foam mattresses much too soft, but the Premier Copper did a great job of cushioning my pressure points without making me feel like I was swallowed by the bed. If you’re looking for a memory foam mattress that you don’t sink straight through, the Premier Copper could be a nice pick for you.
My Nectar Premier Copper mattress complaints
I do think this bed could offer a little more support, especially for heavier people. I worry folks who weigh more than about 250 lbs might not get the deep compression support they need from this bed. I’d steer them towards a memory foam mattress built with deep compression support in mind, like the Loom & Leaf mattress.
I’ll also note that customers have complained about the original Nectar having a strong smell during its off-gassing period. I didn’t think the Premier Copper smelled any stronger than a typical foam mattress, but if you’re concerned about odor I’d encourage you to leave your new mattress in a well-ventilated room for 24 hours after unboxing. After that airing-out period, you should be able to add sheets to your new bed without noticing any strong smell.
How Much Does the Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Cost?
Price is a huge factor when deciding on a new mattress. Take a look at the chart below to see how the Nectar Premier Copper is priced. And be sure to visit our Nectar mattress coupon page to get a good deal on this bed!
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Twin||39" x 75" x 14"||$1,299|
|Twin XL||39" x 80" x 14"||$1,349|
|Full||54" x 75" x 14"||$1,599|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 14"||$1,699|
|King||76" x 80" x 14"||$1,999|
|Cal King||72" x 84" x 14"||$1,999|
Nectar Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Nectar Premier Copper mattress come with a sleep trial?
Yes, all Nectar mattresses come with a 365-night trial period. This is a longer trial than most other mattress companies offer, which is a nice perk.
Does the Nectar Premier Copper mattress come with a mattress warranty?
Yes, all Nectar mattresses come with a lifetime warranty. Nectar’s forever warranty is a great sign that the company believes their beds are long-lasting.
How does the Nectar Premier Copper mattress ship?
The Premier Copper will ship for free and arrive compressed in a box. If you’d like someone to set up your new mattress for you, you can purchase white glove delivery at checkout.
Does the Nectar Premier Copper mattress need a box spring?
No, you don’t need a box spring with this bed, any hard flat surface will work to support it. You can also use a slatted bed frame or adjustable base.
Can you flip the Nectar Premier Copper mattress?
No, you can’t flip this bed, it’s built from the top down. If you’re worried about wear you can rotate it 180 degrees every few months.
Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Vs
Below, I’ll compare the Nectar Premier Copper mattress to models from a few other popular mattress brands. Hopefully this will help you decide if the Nectar Premier Mattress is a good choice for you!
Nectar Premier Copper vs Casper
- The original Casper mattress is an all-foam bed with a firm feel.
- The Casper offers zoned support, which is great for anyone who struggles with back pain. This mattress will offer extra lift around the hips and lower back and extra softness around the shoulders.
- The Casper is more responsive than the Nectar Premier, which is something combination sleepers might appreciate.
- Learn more about this bed in the full Casper mattress review. Or check out the Nectar vs Casper mattress comparison.
Nectar Premier Copper vs DreamCloud
- The DreamCloud is a hybrid mattress that uses pocketed coil support, unlike the all-foam Nectar Premier Copper.
- The DreamCloud has a bouncier feel that combination sleepers might like.
- The DreamCloud is a great fit for back sleepers who prefer a firmer feel.
- Head over to the full DreamCloud mattress review to find out more about this bed, or take a look at the Nectar vs DreamCloud mattress comparison.
Other Models from Brand
Nectar also makes two other mattress models, which I’ll compare to the Premier Copper mattress below.
Nectar Premier Copper vs Original Nectar
- The original Nectar mattress feels firmer than the Premier Copper mattress.
- The Premier Copper mattress sleeps cooler than the original Nectar.
- The original Nectar is less expensive than the Premier Copper mattress.
- Find out more in the full Nectar mattress review.
Nectar Premier Copper vs Nectar Premier
- The Nectar Premier feels much softer than the Premier Copper mattress.
- The Premier Copper sleeps cooler than the Nectar Premier, but both mattresses sleep cooler than the original Nectar mattress.
- Sleepers looking for an ultra-plush feel might like the Nectar Premier.
- Interested in this soft mattress? Take a look at the full Nectar Premier mattress review.
Take a look at the chart below to see how we rated the features of the Nectar Premier Copper mattress!
- Edge Support