Trying to sleep on a long flight or train ride can be tough, but the perfect travel pillow can make sure you arrive at your destination feeling rested and ready to explore! Enter the trtl Travel Pillow Plus — a uniquely supportive sleep accessory made for folks on the go.
Of course, its internal plastic support system and scarf-life design make it pretty different from your average U-shaped travel pillow. So settle into this trtl Travel Pillow Plus review because I’m about to show you exactly what it’s made of, how it works, and how it compares to the Original trtl Travel Pillow! The trtl Travel Pillow Plus takes the neck support and comfort of the original trtl Travel Pillow to the next level!
trtl Pillow Plus
4.80 / 5
Read Full Review
The trtl Travel Pillow Plus takes the neck support and comfort of the original trtl Travel Pillow to the next level!
The idea for the trtl brand first came about in 2010, when a couple of college roommates began experimenting with different ways to sleep on the go. After four years and dozens of prototypes, the trtl travel pillow was born! It was an instant hit on Amazon (earning record-breaking sales), gained popularity at the MTV European Music Awards, and even took home E-Commerce Exporter of the Year at the Scottish Export Awards.
I’ve already had the pleasure of reviewing the Original trtl Travel Pillow, and after thoroughly testing it, I could see what all the fuss was about! But this review focuses specifically on the trtl Travel Pillow Plus, the “new and improved” model. So follow along as I take you through my personal experience snoozing with it so you can determine whether or not it’s the right fit for you!
What Is The trtl Travel Pillow Plus Made Of?
When I first unpacked the trtl Plus, I immediately noticed how similar it looks to the original model. It’s lightweight, compact, and resembles a scarf crossed with a neck brace. But as I explored it a bit more, I noticed some key differences that make this one a little more advanced.
Firstly, the cover fabric is made from a blend of polyester, spandex, rayon, and fleece, which combine to offer a soft, stretchy, and breathable feel. The Original trtl Travel Pillow is covered in 100% fleece, which is a little too warming for my taste. So, sleepers who run hot might be most compatible with the trtl Plus.
Secondly, two velcro patches (instead of one) keep the fabric sleeve wrapped around your neck so the pillow doesn’t slip off mid-slumber. Meanwhile, two pieces of memory foam provide some extra cushion, and two knobs allow you to adjust the height of the plastic insert.
All trtl travel pillows are filled with a hard yet flexible C-shaped plastic apparatus designed to keep your head and neck in a safe position while you travel. But how does it work, and is it comfortable enough for a long haul? Let’s take a closer look.
More: See how the trtl Travel Pillow Plus compares to the Infinity Travel Pillow!
How Do You Use The trtl Travel Pillow Plus?
Like the original trtl pillow, the trtl Plus is designed to promote healthy posture when you’re in the upright position. Essentially, whether you’re on a long plane ride or sitting shot-gun on a road trip, the plastic piece inside this pillow is meant to hold your head in neutral alignment with your spine. So let’s take a look at how to put it on!
First, hold the pillow out in front of you, with the sleeve totally detached from the velcro patches. Then, position the plastic part of the pillow against your neck, with the top of the C-curve supporting your jaw, and the bottom resting on top of your shoulder. Wrap the sleeve around your neck, and affix it to the two velcro patches to keep it secure. Finally, lean your face against the plastic part and allow it to cradle your head until you doze off.
Now, if you’re feeling confused about how to wear this accessory, keep in mind that the entire thing is labeled with instructions. You can remove the labels if you like, but I left them on for a bit of extra guidance.
Once your pillow is securely fastened around your neck, you’ll probably notice that it doesn’t feel like your average travel pillow. It’s not plush or fluffy, and its scarf-like design might take some getting used to. So allow me to detail my personal experience with the trtl Travel Pillow Plus so you can get a better sense of how it performs. The trtl Travel Pillow Plus takes the neck support and comfort of the original trtl Travel Pillow to the next level!
trtl Pillow Plus
4.80 / 5
Read Full Review
My Experience With The Trtl Travel Pillow Plus
As I mentioned up top, there is nothing plush about this pillow. Yes, the memory foam pieces provide a nice buffer between you and the plastic insert (which, in my experience, makes this model cozier than the original). But if you’re looking for a super cushy travel companion — this isn’t it.
That said, this pillow did an excellent job of keeping my posture healthy. The plastic insert comfortably locked my head and neck in place so that my spine didn’t deviate out of neutral alignment. Remember — the concept behind this design is that plastic is less likely to compress as compared to foam, polyester, or a softer material. So no matter how long your trip takes, this pillow was built to maintain its shape and support.
I also found the cover fabric to be very breathable; in fact, this pillow never made me warm. But perhaps the coolest perk the trtl Plus has to offer is its height adjustability. By turning the little toggles on the cover, you can make the plastic insert taller or shorter in order to fit your unique needs.
I’m quite petite, so I only ever used the shortest setting. However, I like that I can lend this pillow to my (much) taller partner, or share it when we take trips together! In my experience, this pillow’s customizable height settings makes it great for sleepers of all sizes.
Ultimately, I prefer the trtl Travel Pillow Plus to the original. It’s more breathable, more comfortable, and features an adjustable design. Of course, these added features make the Plus about $20 more expensive, but I think it’s worth the extra dough.
But the thing I love about both trtl pillows is that the plastic insert is unmatched in its ability to support me in the upright position. If you’re looking for a travel pillow that’ll help you maintain healthy posture, I think the trtl brand is a great way to go.
The Verdict: The Trtl Travel Pillow Plus does an amazing job of keeping my head and neck supported when I’m in the upright position. Plus, its adjustable height settings make it shareable between me and my taller partner! Two thumbs way up.
More: Check out my guide to the Best Pillows for Neck Pain!
Should I Buy The trtl Travel Pillow Plus?
Before we wrap up this trtl Travel Pillow Plus review, let’s recap the highlights to help you decide if it’s the right fit for you:
- Small & Compact – This pillow weighs less than a pound and can easily fit into a carry-on bag. If you’re tired of dragging a bulky pillow around when you travel, this might be the small and compact accessory you’ve been searching for.
- Breathable Cover – If the idea of wrapping this pillow’s cover fabric around your neck worries you, take comfort in the fact that it’s made from a very breathable material. In my experience, the spandex and nylon promoted a lot of airflow and kept my neck from getting too hot. Plus, it’s easily removable and machine washable.
- Head & Neck Support – My favorite thing about this pillow is how well it cradled my head and neck. Obviously, sitting in an upright position is not ideal when you want to catch some Zzz’s, but this pillow made me feel cozy and supported. Not to mention, the memory foam cushioning prevents the plastic insert from pressing into my skin.
- Adjustable Height – The main difference between this pillow and the original trtl travel pillow is that you can adjust the height of this one! This feature allows you to make the plastic insert taller or shorter in order to meet the unique needs of your body.
trtl Pillow Plus
4.80 / 5Read Full Review
trtl Travel Pillow Plus Complaints
This travel pillow gets rave reviews from me, but there are still some things to consider before you make your purchase:
- Wash Care – I like that you can machine wash and dry the cover fabric, but it’s important to note that you have to remove and re-insert the plastic part every time. This isn’t a huge deal, of course, but it can be a little tough to get the insert back in the cover fabric correctly.
- Not Fluffy – I know I keep saying this, but it’s very important to remember that this is not a plush pillow. Folks looking for a fluffy, traditionally shaped pillow should look elsewhere!
- Headphones – Sleepers who like to use over-the-ear headphones might find it difficult to wear them with this pillow. In my experience, the plastic part of the pillow kept pushing my headphones up and away from my ear (until I eventually settled on ear-buds).
Anything Else I Should Know?
- One Size
- Weight – less than 1 lb
- Free Shipping – within the U.S.
- 60-Day Return Policy
- Wash Care – remove plastic insert before washing on a cool, gentle cycle with mild detergent. Then, air-dry or tumble-dry on low heat.
- Other trtl Travel Pillows – Original trtl Travel Pillow, trtl Travel Pillow Junior (for kids)
What is a trtl pillow plus?
The trtl Travel Pillow Plus is similar to the original model in that it uses a C-shaped plastic insert to keep your head and neck in a safe position when you’re on the go. However, the trtl Travel Pillow Plus comes with adjustable height settings, extra memory foam padding, and a more breathable cover fabric.
Can you pack a trtl pillow?
One of the best things about the trtl travel pillow is that it’s very lightweight, small, and easy to store in a carry-on bag!
How do you clean a trtl pillow?
All trtl travel pillows can be washed by machine, but you must remove the plastic insert first. Additionally, use a gentle cycle and mild detergent to prevent any damage to the material. Then, allow it to air-dry, or tumble-dry on low heat before re-inserting the plastic piece.