Adding a gel mattress topper to your existing mattress can completely revitalize your sleep situation. These two-to-four-inch wonders are typically memory foam-based, but are infused with a cooling gel that is a perfect choice for hot sleepers who may need a little extra padding to get comfortable.
For cooler nights, prolonging the life of your mattress, and the added comfort of memory foam, there’s nothing better than a gel mattress topper. Let’s take a look at what made our list.
- The topper comes in three-inch or two-inch models, so you can pick the level of cushion and support you want.
- Its gel-infused memory foam provides adequate support while remaining plush and comfortable as well as controlling temperature at night.
- This topper is also hypoallergenic, which makes it a great option for those with sensitive skin.
- Unfortunately, the topper doesn’t come with a cover, which would be a nice addition to an already great product.
This body-hugging memory foam topper is infused with gel beads to help regulate temperature, which makes it a great option for those who run a little hot when they sleep. Available in two and three-inch-thick models, this topper is designed to help align your spine and distribute weight evenly for a great night’s sleep.
- The topper’s memory foam formula contours to the curves of your body, providing a much softer sleeping surface; which is great for those with hard mattresses.
- The ventilated gel infusion allows for better airflow throughout the topper, making it a much cooler alternative to typical mattress material.
- The soft design of the topper is great for side, stomach and back sleepers by relieving the stress on high pressure areas of the hips and spine.
- The “off-gassing” process from the foam can be a pretty intense smell for the first 48 hours; but the smell will dissipate.
This LUCID topper is a great option for softening up and lengthening the life of your existing mattress. Made of memory foam with a gel infusion, this two-or-three-inch topper provides soft, contouring cushion while regulating temperature.
Best Thick Gel Mattress Topper
- By choosing a four-inch mattress topper, you’re committing to a more plush and cushioned sleeping experience. It’s a great option for those looking to turn a hard mattress into something soft.
- The gel-infused memory foam helps the topper breathe, which is great for hot sleepers.
- The conforming memory foam is designed to help promote spinal alignment and relieve pressure while you sleep.
- A four-inch mattress topper is great for creating a much softer sleep environment, so for those who want a more firm experience, something thinner may be a better option.
Gel mattress toppers tend to measure in within the two to three inch range, but for those looking for a bit of extra support, four-inch toppers are available. This mecor topper provides the plushness and contouring comfort of a memory foam topper, with the added inch to provide additional cushioning.
Best Egg Crate-Style Gel Mattress Topper
- The main draw here is the topper’s egg crate texture. By having varied heights throughout the topper’s surface, it cuts down on pressure points, enabling a gentle sleep surface.
- The topper is made of a dense and durable foam which provides great support in addition to a cushioned, comfortable bedding.
- The gel infusion helps control temperature by allowing airflow through the topper’s foam layer.
- At only two inches thick, this topper is great for those who want to add a small amount of cushion while still preserving the firmness of the mattress below; for a more plush sleeping situation we’d recommend a thicker topper.
This orthopedic memory foam mattress topper features an egg crate design, which minimizes points of contact on the body to help relieve pressure. The heavy duty polyurethane foam provides ample support and the gel infusion promotes airflow and cooling.
Best Gel and Pillow Mattress Topper
- This dual topper combines a 2.5-inch memory foam pad with a 1.5-inch down layer, which adds a sturdier foam element as well as a fluffy, pillowy sleeping surface.
- We found the off-gassing to be minimal with this topper compared to others in the category, and the removable, washable cover was a great bonus for keeping things fresh and clean.
- Because the topper is gel foam and plush down, it provides cooling support and a soft layer, making it the best of both worlds for those who like a firm surface and those who like a pillowy bed.
- Because the gel foam is separated from your body by a layer of down, even though it stays cooler than a standard mattress, it may not be the best option for hot sleepers.
This unique mattress topper provides the best of both worlds, combining a cushioned memory foam layer with a fluffy down top layer. The top layer is removable and washable, making it a versatile choice for those looking to soften and reinforce their current mattress.
How We Chose the Top Toppers
Gel mattress toppers are a great option for revitalizing your current mattress. Their combination of durable memory foam and cooling gel makes them the perfect choice for adding a softness to a hard mattress while also increasing airflow to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep, even for hot sleepers. As we were selecting the best in the category, we considered:
- Thickness: Generally speaking, gel mattress toppers come in the two-to-four-inch range. As we were looking at the toppers, we considered what would be best in each thickness; two-inch toppers needed to be able to provide adequate support in order to be worth it on top of a firm mattress, and four-inch toppers needed adequate softness so it wasn’t just an additional firm layer on an already-firm mattress.
- Smell and Off-Gassing: With most memory foam, there is a period of off-gassing where the vacuum-packed polyurethane expands, which can be unpleasant at first. We tended to favor toppers that mitigated the scent or had shorter off-gassing periods.
- Cooling and Airflow: One of the main draws to a gel-infused mattress topper versus a standard foam topper is the increased ability to allow airflow. As a result, gel toppers tend to be a great choice for hot sleepers; so we chose ones that stayed cool.
Tips on Choosing Gel Mattress Toppers
When selecting the best mattress topper for you, there are a few things you may want to consider. Everyone’s sleep preferences are different, and selecting the right topper can be night and day for your quality of sleep. Some things to look out for:
- The Firmness of Your Current Mattress: If you’re picking out a topper, odds are you’re looking to enhance or alter your current sleeping situation. If your current mattress is hard as a rock, consider a thicker topper to provide a more plush surface. If your mattress is slightly too hard, you may be able to get by with a thinner topper.
- Materials and Certifications: It’s not often that people think about the materials that go into their mattresses, but they can be a major trigger for those with sensitive skin. Some mattress toppers contain latex and latex byproducts, which can be a major irritant. Check to see that the topper is hypoallergenic, or is otherwise CertiPUR-US certified, which is an independent foam rating system that determines product purity.
Recapping the Best Gel Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers can be a truly wonderful thing; they’re a relatively low-cost way to completely change the way you sleep. It’s like getting a whole new mattress without having to go through the trouble of replacing a bulky piece of furniture. By selecting a gel-infused mattress topper, you get the comfort of memory foam, with the cooler properties of the internal gel. If you get the right one for your needs, it can extend the life of your mattress while providing a plush, temperature-neutral sleep.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020