Adding a gel mattress topper to your existing mattress can completely revitalize your sleep situation. These two-to-four-inch wonders are typically memory foam-based, but are infused with a cooling gel that is a perfect choice for hot sleepers who may need a little extra padding to get comfortable.
For cooler nights, prolonging the life of your mattress, and the added comfort of memory foam, there’s nothing better than a gel mattress topper. Let’s take a look at what made our list.
Best Gel Mattress Topper
GhostBed Memory Foam Topper
Allow me introduce you to the memory foam topper from GhostBed. With 3 inches of memory foam and five zones of targeted comfort, it’s a no-brainer why it’s the only topper in their fleet.
- The zoned support of this topper offers a great mix of contouring and pressure relief, making a good choice for sleepers who suffer from hip and shoulder pain and are looking to enhance their current mattress.
- Parents should appreciate the waterproof cover with their children in mind, protecting their beds from any spills or accidents.
- Hot sleepers will appreciate the cool-to-the-touch cover, gel memory foam, and airflow promoting comfort zones.
- With the thickness of the foam, you’ll want to make sure your sheets can properly cover it.
The GhostBed Memory Foam mattress topper combines cloud-like memory foam and five zones of targeted comfort for the head, shoulders, torso, legs, and feet.
Best Gel Mattress Topper
This ViscoSoft topper is made up of 3-inches of high density, gel-infused, memory foam, topped with a breathable and washable cover. The contouring memory foam is sure to provide excellent support to the neck and back without that dreaded “sunk” in feeling. It also comes in three different styles.
- The anti-slip mesh and adjustable straps will make sure this topper stays in place.
- In addition to the Original, this topper comes in and Active Charcoal style, which regulates temperature and eliminates odors, and a Gentle Lavender style, which helps to fall asleep faster.
- The washable cover is a great bonus for keeping things fresh and clean.
- Those expecting a firmer topper may not be pleased with this mattress, as it may feel difficult to move around on.
The ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper is breathable, contouring, and supportive, coming in 3 different styles, each with unique benefits.
Best Gel Mattress Toppers
Layla Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Layla Topper is 2 inches thick and both copper and gel-infused, keeping you extra comfy and cool throughout the night. Layla even offers a 120-night, money back guarantee, for all the sleepers who want to be extra sure about their decision, which is quite long compared to its competitors.
- The copper in this topper doesn’t just make you cool, but it’s antimicrobial too, helping it fight against allergens and bacteria.
- Side sleepers should especially enjoy this pillow, as the memory foam will cushion the shoulders and hips like a cloud.
- This topper is a bit more expensive than others in the category.
- It can be quite difficult to clean. Rather than being machine washable, the brand recommends spot cleaning the foam and dry cleaning the cover.
For more, check out our full Layla Sleep mattress topper review.
The Layla Memory Foam Topper offers a plush, memory foam feel, with copper infusion for extra cooling and anti-allergen properties.
Best Gel Mattress Toppers
Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This mattress topper from Zinus contains both green tea and charcoal-infusion in its memory foam for both a soft and refreshing night’s sleep.
- Conforming memory foam creates a custom sleep experience, supporting the spine and joints, and warding off troublesome aches and pains.
- The fresh, natural construction of this topper defends against moisture and odor-producing agents.
- This bed-in-a-box sets up with ease, and the company actually encourages you to hop on while it decompresses.
- If you’re looking for a more cooling-centric topper, you may want to check out Zinus’ copper cooling topper. For support targeted at the lumbar region, you can take a look at their TorsoTec® topper.
The Zinus mattress topper is a great choice for sleepers looking for a personalized contour effect and natural ingredients.
How We Chose the Top Toppers
Gel mattress toppers are a great option for revitalizing your current mattress. Their combination of durable memory foam and cooling gel makes them the perfect choice for adding a softness to a hard mattress while also increasing airflow to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep, even for hot sleepers. As we were selecting the best in the category, we considered:
- Thickness: Generally speaking, gel mattress toppers come in the two-to-four-inch range. As we were looking at the toppers, we considered what would be best in each thickness; two-inch toppers needed to be able to provide adequate support in order to be worth it on top of a firm mattress, and four-inch toppers needed adequate softness so it wasn’t just an additional firm layer on an already-firm mattress.
- Smell and Off-Gassing: With most memory foam, there is a period of off-gassing where the vacuum-packed polyurethane expands, which can be unpleasant at first. We tended to favor toppers that mitigated the scent or had shorter off-gassing periods.
- Cooling and Airflow: One of the main draws to a gel-infused mattress topper versus a standard foam topper is the increased ability to allow airflow. As a result, gel toppers tend to be a great choice for hot sleepers; so we chose ones that stayed cool.
Tips on Choosing Gel Mattress Toppers
When selecting the best mattress topper for you, there are a few things you may want to consider. Everyone’s sleep preferences are different, and selecting the right topper can be night and day for your quality of sleep. Some things to look out for:
- The Firmness of Your Current Mattress: If you’re picking out a topper, odds are you’re looking to enhance or alter your current sleeping situation. If your current mattress is hard as a rock, consider a thicker topper to provide a more plush surface. If your mattress is slightly too hard, you may be able to get by with a thinner topper.
- Materials and Certifications: It’s not often that people think about the materials that go into their mattresses, but they can be a major trigger for those with sensitive skin. Some mattress toppers contain latex and latex byproducts, which can be a major irritant. Check to see that the topper is hypoallergenic, or is otherwise CertiPUR-US certified, which is an independent foam rating system that determines product purity.
Recapping the Best Gel Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers can be a truly wonderful thing; they’re a relatively low-cost way to completely change the way you sleep. It’s like getting a whole new mattress without having to go through the trouble of replacing a bulky piece of furniture. By selecting a gel-infused mattress topper, you get the comfort of memory foam, with the cooler properties of the internal gel. If you get the right one for your needs, it can extend the life of your mattress while providing a plush, temperature-neutral sleep.