If you’ve invested in a quality pillow, then it’s a good idea to protect it from stains, spills, drool, and so on. And wouldn’t you know it, that’s exactly what pillow protectors help you do! Pillow protectors encase your pillow to create a barrier between your pillow and possible accidents. They can also help keep undesirables inside the pillow and the protector (and away from your head): We’re talking dust mites, bed bugs, and other allergens.
Not sure how to choose the best pillow protector for your needs? Start by identifying your primary concern: Are you most interested in waterproofing your pillow, protecting yourself from allergens, or something else? Also think about what kind of pillow you want to protect, since some protectors are designed specifically for certain types of pillows (e.g. down). Then, check out our roundup to kick off your search!
Niagara Sleep Solution Lab Certified Pillow Protectors
- The pillow protectors are made from 100% cotton. They’re soft to the touch and fairly breathable. The tight weave helps keep allergens at bay.
- The protectors are machine-washable and dryer-friendly, and they seem to hold up well to washings.
- The protectors are treated with Ultra Fresh (an antimicrobial additive).
- These are fairly budget-friendly pillow protectors. They’re sold in packs of four or eight.
- Not everyone will like the Ultra Fresh treatment.
- The protectors are a little thin, which means they might not be the most durable option over the long-term.
Tightly woven cotton and an antimicrobial treatment keep allergens at bay, so allergy suffers in particular might love the Niagara Sleep Solution Pillow Protectors. The protectors are machine-washable and fairly budget-friendly.
AmazonBasics Hypoallergenic Protector Pillow Case
- The protectors are hypoallergenic and made from tightly woven, 100% cotton, which is soft to the touch and fairly breathable.
- The protectors have a full zip to offer full encasement and protection. The zipper is slightly offset to help protect against snags.
- Behind the zipper, there’s an extra layer of fabric to help ensure there aren’t any gaps and prevent allergens from escaping.
- The protector is machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- The cover might make a bit of noise when you shift around on your pillow.
- The texture of the protectors is a little stiff and scratchy, so it’s important to put a pillow case over it.
A full-zip cover and an extra layer of fabric behind the zipper mean the AmazonBasics Hypoallergenic Protector Pillow Case offers full encasement to ensure allergen protection. The hypoallergenic protector is machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
SureGuard 100% Waterproof Pillow Protectors
- The manufacturer claims the pillow protector is 100% waterproof to protect against sweat, saliva, and other liquids. It comes with a 10-year quality guarantee.
- The protectors are GREENGUARD Gold certified, which means they meet certain safety and environmental standards. They’re free of formaldehyde, PVC, phthalates, and vinyl.
- The protectors feature a tight seal thanks to “Invisi-Zip technology,” which offers protection from bed bugs, dust mites, and other allergens.
- The protectors come in either a smooth cotton or cotton terry finish.
- These are pricey pillow protectors compared to the other options on this list.
- The protectors can trap air, so you might need to let out the air on a regular basis. This could be a hassle.
The SureGuard 100% Waterproof Pillow Protectors are designed to protect against liquids, including saliva and sweat. They’re GREENGUARD Gold certified and offer a tight seal thanks to “Invisi-Zip technology.”
Best for Down Pillows
Niagara Sleep Solution Pillow Protectors
- The protectors are designed specifically for use with down pillows. They’re USA lab-certified NSS Feather Safe.
- The protectors are available in multiple quantities, all for a fairly budget-friendly price.
- The protectors are OEKO-TEX certified, meaning they’re free of certain harmful chemicals and meet certain environmental regulations.
- The protectors come with a lifetime replacement guarantee, so your investment lasts a long time.
One downside? The zippers don’t seem to be particularly durable.
If you’re trying to keep down pillows safe, consider the Niagara Sleep Solution Pillow Protectors, which are lab-certified NSS Feather Safe. The protectors are available at a budget-friendly price and in multiple quantities for extra cost savings.
Niagara Sleep Solution Waterproof Pillow Protectors
- The protectors come in multi-packs that are very budget-friendly.
- The protectors are smooth to the touch, machine-washable, and have an autolock zipper to ensure a secure fit.
- The protectors come with a lifetime replacement warranty.
- They’re made in an OEKO-TEX certified facility, meaning they’re made to safety and environmental standards.
- While the protectors are billed as 100% waterproof, they might not hold up to major liquid accidents.
- The protectors are a little slippery and noisy.
Budget-friendly multi-packs make it easy to protect a whole bed of pillows with the Niagara Sleep Solution Waterproof Pillow Protectors. The protectors are OEKO-TEX certified and come with a lifetime replacement warranty.
How We Picked
To put together this roundup of best pillow protectors, we first focused on pillow protectors that seem to do what they promise. So we emphasized waterproof protectors that are actually waterproof, allergen protectors that actually keep allergens from leaving the pillow, and so on.
Beyond that, we also considered the following criteria.
The price of pillow protectors can range pretty widely. Not surprisingly, buying multiple protectors as part of a multi-pack can save you some money. But there’s also no sense in buying four protectors when you’re just trying to cover up one pillow. So we included options that are sold in one-, two-, three-, and/or four-packs and that cover the whole price spectrum. This way, you can choose according to your needs and budget.
The “pillow protectors” umbrella is pretty far-ranging when it comes to functionality. For instance, some protectors are geared toward providing allergen protection, some are all about waterproofing, some combine multiple functions, and so on. Different protectors might also be intended for use with different kinds of pillows, such as down.
Everyone has their own specific needs when it comes to pillow protectors, so we included options that represent the full gamut of functionalities so you can choose according to your needs.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Still trying to settle on the best pillow protectors for your needs? Ask yourself the following:
- What’s your primary need? Are you a drooler who wants to waterproof your pillow (no shame!), or are you trying to keep allergens from making their way into your nasal cavities at night? Know what function(s) you need most to clarify your search.
- What type of pillow are you protecting? If you’re trying to protect a down pillow, for instance, you might want to look for a protector that’s certified feather safe.
- How many protectors do you need? If you’re trying to protect multiple pillows, then brands that sell multi-packs can save you some dough.
When you settle on the right pillow protector for your pillow, you can sleep a lot easier. Pillow protectors help keep your pillow safe while protecting you from dust mites, bed bugs, and other allergens and creepy crawlies. So slap a protector on your pillow and rest easier!
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020