Snoring during the night can have reverberations felt beyond the pillow. Snoring can affect one’s sleep or that of a loved one. It can cause sleep to be disrupted and generally not as effective as it would be without snoring. Generally, it is a personal problem that can have ill effects on a person’s waking hours – as well as their partner’s.
While there are several ways to tackle snoring, the difference in approaches can be a bit bewildering. Some products focus on the nose, others on the mouth, while others have products that affect one’s back. We have assessed some of the more popular offerings out there; here is what we discovered:
Venyn Nose Vents
- Different sizes. This set of anti-snoring nose vents comes with four different sizes. Customers will be able to find the size that fits them best and even share other sizes with family members.
- Soft silicone. This product is made out of a soft and flexible silicone material. This makes the product fit snugly in the nose but prevents irritation due to its soft nature.
- Easy to clean. These nose vents can be cleaned simply by washing them with soap and water. This is great for those who would like to wear them every night.
- It can take some getting used to as most people don’t typically sleep with devices in their noses.
- Can fall out. Some users will have no problem with this product staying in their nostrils, while others will find that they fall out at times. This is all based on the shape of the customer’s nasal cavity.
The Venyn Nose Vents are placed inside the nostrils to open up airflow, which can help stem snoring. Made out of soft silicone, these vents come in four different sizes so customers should be able to find a comfortable match.
SomniFix Sleep Strips
- No residue. The adhesive on this facial strip is designed to leave no residue behind on the skin. Other similar products can leave a residue that takes some time to remove.
- Recyclable. A great part of this light is that it employs the use of an internal rechargeable battery. The manufacturer proudly claims that every part of this product, from the strips to the packaging, are completely recyclable. This can be comforting to those trying to limit their environmental footprint.
- Easy to apply. This strip simply needs to be placed over the mouth with the vent lined up between the lips. Use once and recycle.
- Sizing. These can be a bit small for some users. The strip may not fit over the entire area of larger mouths.
- Need to replace often. Not only do these need to be replaced every night, but if a user needs a glass of water during the middle of the night, a new strip will need to replace the previous one.
The Somnifix Sleep Strips are designed to turn mouth-breathers into nose-breathers. By adhering to both sides of the lips, these recyclable strips help combat snoring by reducing open-mouthed sleeping and encouraging air flow through the nose.
Quiet Panda Anti-Snoring Chin Strap
- One-size-fits-all. This chin strap has an adjustable strap that allows users to make sure the strap is properly secured to keep mouths shut during sleep. It is designed to comfortably fit any sized head.
- Stitched edges. The manufacturer has designed the product so that the edges of the chin strap are stitched with a soft material. This makes sure the edges don’t dig into the face when tightened.
- Price. This is one of the more affordable snoring aid products, not just because it is typically offered at a low price. It is also reusable, so customers can use it for a long duration without needing to make another purchase.
- Velcro. The strap relies on velcro, which can stick to customers’ hair. It is advised to be purposeful when securing the strap to make sure it is fastened properly.
- Sizing is large. This strap may be too large for some heads.
This chin strap from Quiet Panda is designed to keep sleepers’ mouths shut during sleep to encourage nose-breathing. This product is comfortable and adjustable to the size of the user’s head.
Snoring Solutions Stop Snoring T-Shirt
- Simple solution. This product provides a simple solution to snoring that doesn’t involve the face. By placing a sleep bumper in the back sleeve, people who snore while lying on their back will be deterred from sleeping in that position.
- Cotton t-shirt. This t-shirt is made out of cotton, so those worried about wearing polyester or other potentially uncomfortable materials while sleeping can rest assured. This has the look and feel of a standard white t-shirt.
- Large options. Customers should be able to find a t-shirt that fits them properly. With four sizes available across a range of Medium to XXL, this shirt is a great gift to give a loved one who needs help with their snoring.
- Tennis ball not included. Though this product relies on a tennis or other soft ball like a racketball to be effective, no ball is included with purchase.
- No small size available. For some reason, this manufacturer has created several large options but no small. The medium may be too big for some customers.
The Snoring Solutions Stop Snoring T-Shirt is designed to prevent sleepers from sleeping on their backs, a sleeping position that may contribute to many people’s snoring issues. This shirt is made from a soft cotton and is easy to use out of the package.
Best Mouth Guard
ZYPPAH Anti-Snoring Mouth Guard
- Tongue strap. This mouth guard stands out from many competitors due to its rear tongue strap. This helps to ensure the tongue stays in place and doesn’t obstruct airflow.
- Lower jaw. The design of the ZYPPAH anti-snoring mouth guard is meant to advance the lower jaw (called mandibular advancement) to a position that opens the airway further. This is a helpful compliment to the tongue strap’s efforts to eliminate snoring.
- Custom fit. Each unit has a “boil and bite” system that allows users to custom fit each individual’s mouth from the comfort of their homes.
- Only one size. This product is only available in one size. It may satisfy those with particularly large mouths.
- Expensive. Customers may have pause when seeing the price this product is usually sold for. It is one of the more expensive snoring aid products available.
The ZYPPAH anti-snoring mouth guard uses two processes to help with reducing snoring. It has a tongue strap that keeps the tongue from obstructing airways and helps move the jaw forward to achieve the same aim.
How We Picked
Snoring can be a nuisance and can even have an effect on one’s health. If you or a family member are dealing with snoring issues, it is important to find a product that fits physically and accommodates the user’s lifestyle. Here are some of the aspects we judged as being most important when evaluating the leading offerings:
Snoring products can be entirely effective, affordable, and easy to use, but all of that is immaterial if the customer does not enjoy using the product. Many products designed to aid in snoring can seem – and feel – obtrusive, especially when considering these may rest in sensitive areas, like the nose and mouth.
Products that rest in the nose or mouth tend to try their hardest at being comfortable, though this goal is not always achieved. Soft material and size customization can help, but aren’t surefire guarantees of a comfortable experience. Some products are even made to be uncomfortable, so that the user doesn’t maintain habits – mainly sleeping positions – that induce snoring.
There are two main lengths of shelf-life for snoring aid products. Some can be used over and over again until they are thoroughly worn out. Others are single-use only, and need to be disposed of after every use.
Strips, such as breathing strips that go over the mouth or nasal strips that go across the nose, need to be replaced after every use. Some, such as mouth strips, need to be replaced even if the user needs to get a glass of water or answer a phone call after settling for bed. For those with environmental concerns, choosing a disposable product that has recyclable contents may be the way to accommodate those concerns.
Snoring aids are designed to reduce snoring. A lot of times, that is where the similarities end. Between them, the leading snoring aid products have a multitude of approaches they employ to achieve this goal.
One of the more common tactics is to ensure an open airway. This can involve nose vents or a contraption in the mouth that regulates tongue and jaw positioning. Alternatively, some snoring products opt to keep the mouth closed as to encourage non-audible nose-breathing. A third approach is to discourage sleepers from rolling over and sleeping on their backs, which is a position conducive to snoring.
Not sure which snoring aid is right for you? Take a look at the below tips to help guide your purchase:
- Have you tried other snoring products?
- If you are looking for a new product because your old one wasn’t working, it is important to figure out why it wasn’t effective. Sometimes the fit is off or the product itself didn’t work as intended
- Some products can work as companions to each other. Chin straps and nose vents, for example, can be used at the same time.
- Have you seen a medical professional?
- Some people who suffer from snoring may actually have sleep apnea, of which snoring is a symptom.
- It is advisable to seek the opinion of a medical professional, as sleep apnea may have other effects on your health beyond snoring..
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020