When it comes to winter nights or sleeping in a bedroom with dry air, a humidifier can feel like a lifesaver. By adding moisture into the air, a humidifier can help to prevent waking up with a dry mouth, throat, skin, and lips. But with so many humidifier options on the market, it’s hard to know which is the best for you.
If you’re looking for a bedroom-friendly, filter-free, and affordable option, the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier could be a match. I have personally tested this humidifier and in this review, I’ll go over everything you need to know about it.
Short on time? Skip ahead for a review summary.
Is the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier Right For You?
Before we dive into the details, here’s a quick breakdown of who I recommend the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier for and who should consider another humidifier.
Who Should Try the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- Shoppers looking for an easy-to-clean, filter-free humidifier should find the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier appealing.
- If you want to control the direction of the mist, you will likely appreciate this humidifier’s directional mist outlet.
- This humidifier is also more accessible for shoppers with some mobility issues or difficulty holding things steady, as the opening to fill the tank is wider than average, making it easier to fill up.
Who Shouldn’t Try the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- If you have a large or small room, or want to humidify your whole house, this humidifier may not be the best pick. It has a one-gallon tank capacity and is designed for use in medium-sized rooms.
- If you want a humidifier that filters the water before it is emitted into the air, this won’t be the best humidifier for you. Take a look at the Honeywell Cool Moisture humidifier instead, which is an evaporative humidifier that utilizes a wicking filter and UV light to sanitize the water.
- If you are looking for a humidifier with dishwasher-safe components, this one does not have any.
Key Features of the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
Let’s first take a closer look at the key features and components of this humidifier.
At the top of the humidifier is the mist outlet, which is where the mist is emitted from. It can be rotated to control the direction of the mist. The mist outlet rests on top of the water tank, which features a carrying handle at the top. The opening of this one-gallon tank, where it can be filled with water, is on the underside. This opening is designed extra wide, to make filling up the tank easier.
The tank rests on top of the base, which is where the nebulizer and water reservoir are housed. When the humidifier is running, the water from the tank is released into the reservoir, where the nebulizer (a small round disk) vibrates at a high frequency to break the water into droplets, which are then released into the air. On the front of the base is the control knob, which allows you to choose between a range of mist levels.
Additionally, this humidifier is designed to use in medium-sized rooms. It has a 24-hour run time on the low setting and features an auto-shut off function, which turns the humidifier off when the tank is out of water.
How To Use The Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
With all that in mind, let’s go over how to use this humidifier. I recommend always reading through the manual and safety information that come with the humidifier before using it to ensure you are using it safely and correctly.
Setting up the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- Place the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier on a firm, level, and water-resistant surface at least 12 inches away from the wall.
- Remove the tank from the base and turn upside down. Turn the tank cap towards the open lock symbol to open.
- Fill the tank with cool water and replace the tank cap.
- Place the tank back on the base.
- Plug in the humidifier and turn the control knob to turn the humidifier on. If you want the highest humidity level, turn the knob all the way to the right.
- If you want to change the direction of the mist, twist the cap in your desired direction.
Cleaning the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
Cleaning is an important part of owning a humidifier. Because you will be breathing in the moisture output from your humidifier, keeping it clean will ensure you have good air quality and aren’t breathing in mold or bacteria.
Honeywell recommends both descaling and disinfecting this humidifier. Here are the steps for descaling:
- Turn the humidifier off and unplug it.
- Remove the water tank from the base and remove the mist cap and tank cap from the tank. Pour out any excess water from the tank and the base.
- Pour two cups of distilled white vinegar into the tank. Replace the tank cap and swish the vinegar around the tank and then replace the tank onto the base.
- Allow the vinegar to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After it is finished soaking, remove the tank from the base, unscrew the tank cap, and pour out the vinegar. Pour the vinegar out of the base as well.
- Wipe the nebulizer and float in the base with a soft cloth to remove any mineral buildup.
- Rinse the tank and base until the smell of vinegar is gone. Be careful as you rinse the base not to wet the bottom of it.
Once you have descaled, it’s time to disinfect:
- Mix a solution of one gallon of water and one teaspoon of bleach and add to the water tank.
- Replace the tank cap and swish the solution around the tank.
- Replace the tank onto the base.
- Allow the bleach solution to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then remove the tank from the base, unscrew the tank cap, and pour out the beach solution. Pour the solution out of the base as well.
- Wipe the nebulizer and float with a soft cloth.
- Rinse the tank and base until the smell of bleach is gone.
Honeywell advises performing both of these maintenance tasks on a weekly basis. It’s also important to note that you should not mix the vinegar and bleach solution together.
Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier Price
Curious how much this humidifier costs? Right now you can purchase it on Amazon for $44.99. The price range for humidifiers is pretty wide, from as low as $25 to the hundreds, so overall I would say this is a very good price.
All in all, I think the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier is a great product. It is easy to use, fairly easy to clean, and works for a variety of customers. It’s not particularly large, so it can fit easily in a bedroom. It’s easy to fill up, especially because the tank opening is quite wide. On some other humidifiers I have tried, the openings are smaller and require more precision when holding under the faucet, so this is particularly a plus for customers who have mobility issues or difficulty holding heavy objects steady.
I also appreciate that this humidifier does not use a filter, which would require consistent replacement. It also does not have any bright night light features, which can be distracting for sleepers easily disturbed by light.
However, it may not be effective for use in large rooms and while the cleaning process is fairly standard, none of the components of this humidifier are dishwasher-safe.
Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier Policies and FAQ
How does the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier ship?
This humidifier is eligible for free shipping on Amazon.
Does the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier come with a warranty?
Yes, this humidifier comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
Can I return the Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist humidifier?
Yes, this humidifier is eligible for free returns on Amazon within 30 days.
Should I use distilled water with this humidifier?
No, you don’t have to use distilled water with this humidifier, but if you live in an area with hard water, you may want to. Hard water will lead to quicker mineral buildup in the humidifier, which may require more maintenance. It also may lead to white dust settling around the humidifier, which is the mineral content left behind when the water evaporates. But overall, normal tap water is fine in the majority of cases.
What other products does Honeywell sell?
Honeywell sells a wide variety of products aside from air humidifiers, including air purifiers, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, thermostats, air monitors, and more.
What does a humidifier do?
Humidifiers increase the amount of moisture in the air, or the humidity level. This may be desirable if the air in your bedroom is particularly dry, because sleeping in dry air can lead to dry skin, throat, mouth, and nasal passages. You might wake up with a scratchy throat, chapped lips, or other discomforts due to the dry air. Using a humidifier can prevent these symptoms of dryness. Learn more in our guide on how humidifiers work.
Other Products To Try
- Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
- Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- Honeywell Cool Moisture Humidifier
- Levoit Dual 150 Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier