Humidifiers are a great way to add moisture into the dry air of your bedroom to prevent dry skin, a scratchy throat, or even nosebleeds while you sleep. In this review, I’ll be taking a closer look at the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier, which also doubles a diffuser. I personally tested this humidifier (and I actually use it at home!), so I will give you the lowdown on its key features, how to use it, and some pros and cons.
Short on time? Skip ahead for a review summary.
Is the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Right For You?
Before we get into the product details, let’s start off with some quick recommendations of who I think will like and dislike this humidifier.
Who Should Try the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- If you like essential oils, you’ll likely love that this humidifier doubles as an aromatherapy diffuser. You can easily add essential oils right into the water.
- If you like easy cleaning, you should appreciate that this humidifier has some dishwasher safe pieces. The non-dishwasher safe parts are also easy to care for. Plus, this humidifier is filter-free.
- If you like colorful lights, you’ll appreciate this humidifier’s color-rotating night light. It can also be turned off completely for a light-free experience.
Who Shouldn’t Try the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- If you have a small space, this humidifier might be too large. It has a 1.2-gallon tank and is designed for large rooms up to 500 square feet. It may take up a lot of space in your room and could over-humidify a small space.
- If you want a humidifier you can fill up in the sink, this top-fill humidifier might not be the best choice for you. This one should be filled up by pouring water into it with a cup or pitcher.
- If you want a specific color of humidifier, you may be disappointed this one is only offered in white.
Key Features of the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
This humidifier has a few key elements — let’s go over them to get a better idea of how this humidifier works.
Unlike many other humidifiers, the tank and base of the Crane humidifier are not separate pieces — they are combined in one unit, which has a removable cover. The cover easily lifts off to allow you to fill up the humidifier. It also has a mist cap, which you can turn to control the direction of the mist.
The cover also has a night light feature, lighting up the entire top in either a single color or rotating through a series of colors — much like a hot tub! Personally, I think this feature is super fun, but if you don’t want any light, fear not. You can turn the night light feature off completely if you want no ambient light at all.
Inside the humidifier, you can see the mist chamber, where the mist is formed, and the water level sensor. Underneath the mist chamber is the nebulizer, which forms the water into mist.
This water tank can hold up to 1.2 gallons and can run for 24 hours when full, providing coverage in large rooms up to 500 square feet. It also has an automatic shut-off feature, which turns the humidifier off when it runs out of water.
One cool feature of this humidifier is it doubles as an aromatherapy diffuser. You can add essential oils into the tank to be diffused in the mist for aromatherapy or for a pleasant scent. Essentially, you are getting two products in one.
On the front of the tank/base, there are three buttons to control the humidifier. From left to right, there is an on/off button, an output settings button, and a color-changing light button.
The cover, mist cap, and mist chamber are all top-rack dishwasher safe, making for an easy cleaning process. This humidifier is also filter-free, meaning there is no need to repurchase and replace a filter as a part of regular maintenance.
How To Use The Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Now that you know the key features of this humidifier, let’s go over how to use it. First and foremost, always read through the manual and safety information provided by the manufacturer to ensure you are fully aware of how to use the humidifier, as well as any risks.
Setting up the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- Place the humidifier in your desired location. Crane recommends placing it on a level surface at least two feet above the floor. They also do not recommend placing it on a metallic or wood surface, or placing it on a carpet or towel, which may obstruct the vent.
- Remove the cover and ensure the mist chamber is properly attached if you had previously removed it. It should twist clockwise over the nebulizer to be secured.
- Fill the humidifier with water, not exceeding the max level mark. I recommend either using a cup or pitcher to pour water in.
- If you are going to add essential oils into the water, do so now. Otherwise, replace the top cover, ensuring it fits securely.
- Plug the humidifier in and turn it on by pressing the on/off control button. The indicator light will change from blue to green when the humidifier turns on.
- Choose between high and low mist settings by pressing the middle button. When on the high mist setting, the indicator light will turn green. When on the low mist setting, the indicator light will turn blue.
- Finally, choose your light mode by pressing the third button. Press once for the colors to circulate. Press a second time to pause on a single color. Press a third time to turn the light off completely.
Cleaning the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Cleaning is an essential part of owning and using a humidifier. While some humidifiers can be a pain to clean, the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier is fairly simple to take care of.
For daily maintenance:
- Turn off and unplug the humidifier. Remove the top and empty any excess water from the base.
- Detach the mist chamber and rinse with water, then allow it to air dry.
- Allow the top and base to air dry.
- Leave the top off the base until you are ready to use it again.
For weekly maintenance:
- Turn the humidifier off and empty excess water from the tank.
- Wash the cover, mist lid, and mist chamber in a white vinegar and water solution. Wipe each piece and rinse well. These pieces are also top rack dishwasher safe.
- Then fill the base halfway with warm water and add two to four tablespoons of white vinegar. Let that sit for 20 minutes.
- Empty the base and rinse with plain water. Be sure as you are rinsing to pour away from the fan outlet, which you don’t want to get wet.
- You can also clean the nebulizer with a cotton swab or damp cloth after soaking in the vinegar solution.
Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Price
Price is an important factor for any new purchase, including a humidifier. Currently, the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier is available on Amazon for $52.98, which is a great price for a humidifier — especially one that doubles as an aroma diffuser. Humidifiers can range fairly widely in price, from as low as $20 to the hundreds.
I ended up being a pretty big fan of this humidifier after testing it out. As I mentioned before, I even use it at home now, so obviously I liked a lot of its features.
First, this humidifier’s ability to double as a diffuser was a big selling point to me. I personally love scented candles, essential oils, and other ways of bringing pleasant scents into my home. Being able to combine the two functions of diffusing scents and humidifying into one product is appealing to me, as you don’t have to purchase and store two separate products.
I also really loved the night light feature on this humidifier. While cycling through colors might sound more like disco lights than a sleep product, the light gives off a soothing glow that isn’t too bright or distracting for me to fall asleep. But if light does bother you, you can easily turn the night light completely off or choose just one color. I love how many options you can choose.
Additionally, I appreciated this humidifier’s quiet operation. Crane describes it as “whisper quiet,” which I think is accurate. Obviously no humidifier is silent, but this one is quiet enough to not cause disturbance to your sleep. I also like being able to control the direction of the mist with the mist cap.
However, it’s not all positives. I don’t love having to fill this humidifier with a cup or pitcher, instead of in the sink, because the base and fill tank are combined into a single unit. Many other humidifiers have detachable tanks that you can carry to the sink for an easy fill process. This Crane humidifier is also considerably larger than many other ones, so if you have a smaller space to work with, it might not be the best choice.
Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Policies and FAQ
How does the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier ship?
If you order this humidifier on Amazon, it is eligible for free shipping.
Does the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier come with a warranty?
Yes, Crane offers a 1-year limited warranty on this humidifier.
What other products does Crane offer?
Crane sells a variety of humidifiers aside from the Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier, including the Crane Drop Cool Mist humidifier, the Crane 4-in-1 Top Fill Drop Cool Mist humidifier, the Ultrasonic Cool Mist Tower humidifier, the Warm Mist Humidifier with Vaporizer Function, and adorable animal-shaped humidifiers for kids. Aside from humidifiers, Crane offers air purifiers, fans, steam inhalers, and more.
Does the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier contain BPA or phthalate in the plastic?
Nope, this product is free from bisphenol A (BPA), phthalate, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), styrene-acrylonitrile resin (SAN), and polypropylene (PP), all of which have been linked to negative health outcomes. You can rest easy knowing the moisture from this humidifier won’t leach any possibly dangerous chemicals from the plastic.
How long does the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier run?
When full, this Crane humidifier has a 24-hour run time.
What kind of water should I use with the Crane Top Fill Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier?
Only use cool water with this humidifier — never hot water. You can use tap water or distilled water, but if you live in an area with hard water, you may notice fine dust accumulating near your humidifier. The minerals in the mist will be left behind when the water evaporates, creating that dust. It’s harmless, but if it bothers you, switching to distilled water should do the trick.
Other Products To Try
- Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
- Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- Crane Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- Honeywell Cool Moisture Humidifier
- Honeywell Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- Levoit Dual 150 Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier