Update – Amerisleep recently re-designed and re-named the Americana. It is now the AS1. Read Amerisleep AS1 review here.
After reviewing Amerisleep’s two most expensive and high-end mattresses earlier this year (and being exceedingly impressed with both of them), I was pumped to get the chance to test one of their mid-tier mattresses. The Americana mattress is priced right in the sweet spot around $800 for a Queen (with promo code) and is packed with all of the standard goodness you’d expect from Amerisleep. A medium / slightly firm feel, great support, and a stylish cover that promotes cooling round out the Americana.
But the big question, how will it perform in my in-home test? Continue reading for my full review below and see if the Americana is the right choice for you.
The firmest mattress in the Amerisleep line, the AS1 is perfect for stomach or back sleepers. Use code SLEEPOPOLIS to save $250 with our exclusive discount!
The Amerisleep Americana is a 10″ all foam mattress constructed from two layers of foam.
- Top layer (comfort / support) – the top layer is 3″ of Amerisleep’s Bio-Pur memory foam. This a plant-based memory foam with an advanced open cell structure. The open cell structure allows air to more easily flow in and out of the foam, improving cooling and making the sleeping surface more comfortable. This 3″ layer provides all of the comfort and most of the support for the mattress.
- Bottom layer (support) – this is a 7″ layer of high density support foam. This layer provides some deep compression support for sleepers and also acts as the foundational base for the mattress. Like the top layer, it allows the foams to breathe, increasing airflow and cooling.
The cover is constructed from a blend of polyester and Celliant. The polyster acts as a good base textile and is highly durable. Celliant is a thermoreactive mineral thread that absorbs heat (i.e. your body heat) and converts it into infrared light. I have tested several mattresses with Celliant infused covers and I am continually impressed. There is without question a notable improvement in the cooling on the surface of the mattress.
Additionally, infrared light has been shown in studies to improve oxygenation by your body. This helps to improve your body’s internal temperature regulation, reduce pain, and promote cell regeneration.
Aesthetically, the cover has a sleek modern look. The cover is quite thin, which promotes cooling and breathability on the sleeping surface. Additionally, the thin cover allows the sleeper to engage directly with the foams for comfort and support.
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The Americana mattress comes in at a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. There is not a substantial level of hug or sinkage with the Americana. Since it is a bit on the firmer side it floats the sleeper more on top of the foam as opposed to creating much hug around the body. Despite the level of firmness the mattress is still extremely comfortable. The foam is slightly firmer, but still provides a nice level of body contouring and shaping.
Personally, I tend to prefer mattresses that are in the 4-6 range out of 10 on the firmness scale. The Americana is the first mattress I have tested that was a 7 firmness, but somehow maintained a level of balanced comfort, which I attribute to the little bit of body contouring the mattress is still able to provide.
The most impressive aspect of all of Amerisleep mattresses I have tested has simply been the level of cooling. The combined improved airflow gained through the open cell memory foam + the Celliant covers creates a sizable difference in the temperature on the sleeping surface. In the case of the Americana, floating the sleeper more on top of the foams also helps to prevent any build up of heat, further reducing the temperature.
[Like the sound of Amerisleep? Check out our complete review series on all 5 Amerisleep mattress models.]
The Americana offers excellent support and responsiveness. Unlike cheaper or more traditional memory foam, the Bio-Pur memory foam of the Amerisleep is highly responsive. As you move the mattress moves with you. There is no quick sand feeling and there is no feeling “stuck” in the foams during the night.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage and hug tests. I created these tests to help give you an idea of how the mattress performs under various pressures and positions.
- Lying position – in a normal lying position where I am on my back with my weight evenly distributed across the mattress the Americana had around 0.5-1″ of sinkage and body hug.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – in a normal sitting position where my weight was a bit further back on the mattress with my feet on the floor the Americana had 1.5-2″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – in a more aggressive sitting position where I am sitting directly on the edge of the mattress, creating maximum pressure, the Americana had 2.5-3″ of sinkage.
- Standing position – in a standing position with my weight focused on a single point in the center of the mattress the Americana had 4-4.5″ of sinkage.
If you decide to give the Americana a try you can use this link to save yourself $50 the Americana (or any Amerisleep mattress). This will get you an extra $50 off on top of the current Amerisleep discount promotion.
- Shipping – free shipping, takes 1-2 days to process your order and 1-5 days to ship
- Trial Period – 100 night trial period
- No Sales Tax – except for Arizona residents
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee within the trial period, however you are responsible for shipping the mattress back
- Warranty – 20 years, full replacement for the first 10 years and pro-rated for the last 10 years
- Made in the USA – made and sourced in the USA
- Discounts – save $50 extra off the Americana (or any other Amerisleep mattress) with this link
What I like most about the Amerisleep Americana is simply that it’s a bit different. Most online mattresses try to hit a universal comfort and a 5-6 neutral firmness. This is great if you like a slightly softer feel, but for those who prefer the slightly firm feel without being insanely hard the Amerisleep Americana quite simply crushes it. At a 7 out of 10 firmness it has a balanced level of firmness, while still providing great pressure relief and good contouring. I typically cannot sleep on anything firmer than a 6 and enjoy it. The Amerisleep is the first slightly firmer mattress that I’ve felt enough comfort and pressure relief to truly enjoy.
I would recommend the Amerisleep Americana mattress to those sleepers who:
- Want a slightly firm feel – at a 7 out of 10 the Americana has minimal hug / sinkage and a slightly firm feel. It still does a great job of relieving pressure, but don’t expect a dramatic hug on your body.
- Want a cool mattress – the combined feeling of floating on top of the foams + Celliant infused cover + open cell memory foam equate impressive cooling. One of the coolest mattresses I have tested to date. Amerisleep’s cover and foams truly do make a noticeable difference in the level of cooling.
- Want to buy from an established company – Amerisleep has been in business for over 2 decades. They are not a start-up. They’ve been selling online for almost a decade.
- Want a lean profile – Many of Amerisleep’s mattresses are a bit on the thicker side. The Americana has a lean 10″ profile that looks sharp in any modern bedroom.
Looking for more information on the Americana or ready to shop? Visit Amerisleep.com
Slightly Firm, Great Cooling, & Sleek Profile
- Edge Support
The Americana has a slightly firm feel at a 7 out of 10 firmness, but still strikes a balanced level of comfort. There’s a slight degree of body hug and contouring that provides great pressure relief and support. The Celliant infused cover takes the cooling of the cover to the next level. Great value for the price. One of the best slightly firm foam mattresses I have tested to date.