The Spartan is a hybrid model that was designed specifically for athletes. It’s cover is made with special far-infrared ray technology that may aid athletic recovery (more on that below).
Whether or not you’re interested in muscle recovery, this hybrid mattress might be a good pick for you. I wanted to see what the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress was like for myself, so I put the mattress through a variety of tests to find out. Assessing everything from the mattress’s feel, to construction, to how it may perform for couples, and plenty more, here’s all you need to know about the Spartan.
Keep reading below for my full Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress review, or skip to the bottom for a quick summary.
Note: The Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress comes in three different firmness levels; Soft, Medium, and Firm. I’m reviewing the Medium option today.
Is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan a Good Mattress for You?
The Spartan mattress is one of six hybrid mattress options offered by popular bed-in-a-box brand Brooklyn Bedding. Brooklyn Bedding aims to deliver luxury sleep at an affordable price, and I do think the Spartan has a high-quality, luxury feel. But that doesn’t mean it’s perfect for everyone. While I can’t decide if this mattress is a good choice for you, I can provide you with a few recommendations to help you get there on your own.
Who I recommend the Spartan mattress for
- Back sleepers should really appreciate the blend of pressure point relief and support the Spartan mattress offers.
- Side sleepers should find the Spartan comfortable. It combines proprietary cooling foams with a memory foam layer to offer plenty of cushion around the shoulders and hips. If you’re looking for a super plush feel, I might recommend the soft model.
- Hot sleepers should really appreciate the Spartan. Its performance cover is cool to the touch and its foam top layer uses phase-change technology to keep you sleeping cool.
Who I don’t recommend the Spartan mattress for
- Stomach sleepers might not get enough support on the Medium Spartan. I’d recommend choosing the firm option, or looking at one of our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- If you’re looking for a super bouncy bed without any sinkage, the Spartan is not a great option for you. Most combination sleepers should still be able to move around easily on the Spartan, but one of our best latex mattresses might be a better fit for them.
- Budget shoppers may want to choose a different mattress, the Spartan is on the pricier side. Luckily, Brooklyn Bedding offers many other affordable options. You can find a few in our best cheap mattress roundup.
How Firm is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress?
One of the most important factors that goes into buying a new mattress is firmness level, which is the initial feeling you experience when you first lie on the mattress. Keep in mind that feel is subjective, and every sleeper will experience a mattress differently depending on their body weight and preferred sleeping position. For reference, I’m 5’9”, about 125 lbs, and prefer to sleep on my side.
As a reminder, the Spartan is offered in three different firmness options. I’ll be reviewing the Medium Spartan below.
To determine the Spartan’s actual firmness score, I asked some colleagues to test out the Brooklyn Bedding mattress alongside me and provide their input. We each gave a firmness level score between 1 and 10 — 1 being the softest and 10 being the most firm. We averaged our scores together to come up with the final number which you can see below.
We found the Spartan to fall at a 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. This means the mattress has a medium-firm feel. If you’re heavier than me, you might find this mattress more medium-soft. This mattress definitely offers a nice amount of hug. But I didn’t feel overly “stuck-in” the bed.
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress Performance
Your search for a new mattress should not stop after finding out a mattress’s firmness — there are definitely more things to look at! To give you a better idea of what this mattress feels like, I ran a few specialized tests. Below, I’ll share my results for how this mattress performed in different sleeping positions, how it relieved pain and pressure, and how it might feel for couples sharing the bed.
Testing the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Different sleeping positions and weights require different amounts of support. Generally, light sleepers don’t require the same amount of support as heavy sleepers. Read on below to see how the Spartan mattress performs for sleepers of different weights.
Is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – Light back sleepers tend to feel mattresses a bit firmer than advertised, so I think this bed would be a great sturdy option for these folks. A medium-firm mattress like this one is going to be right up these sleepers’ alley.
- Light Side Sleepers – While it may feel a little more firm than medium-firm to them, light side sleepers should enjoy this mattress. The bed’s memory foam layer should provide these sleepers with a bit of comfort around sensitive points.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – Light stomach sleepers may find this mattress works for them, although most will prefer a firmer option. I would recommend these sleepers look into the firm version of the Spartan to promote healthy alignment of their hips and spine.
Is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – I think average weight back sleepers will truly enjoy this mattress. The Spartan will do a nice job filling in the space in their lumbar region to keep their spine straight and neutrally aligned.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – I think the Spartan is a great option for average weight side sleepers. These sleepers should sink into the mattress a bit and feel ample pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – I’d recommend stomach sleepers opt for the firm version of the Spartan to prevent their hips from sinking into the bed. This medium version may give under these sleepers hips, leading to lower back pain.
Is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – I’d recommend heavier people (over 250 lbs) opt for the firm version of the Spartan. I think this mattress offers enough deep compression support for a heavier person, whereas a heavier body might sink through the Soft or Medium version’s top foam layers.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – See above.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – See above.
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Pain Relief Performance
Pressure/pain relief is a measure of how much of your weight a mattress will concentrate around sensitive areas like the shoulders and hips. When a mattress distributes your weight unevenly, it will form a pressure point in these areas, which can lead to pain and stiffness over time.
To measure the Spartan’s pressure relief, I used a pressure map. The map will show areas of low pressure in blue to green, and areas of high pressure in yellow to red.
Back Pain — As you’ll see, the map is blue across the board, indicating my weight was evenly distributed and no pressure points formed. I felt really comfortable on my back, and would recommend it to sleepers who like a bit of contouring around their lower back. On the other hand, I would shy stomach sleepers with back pain away from this medium option and towards the firmer model. These sleepers need a supportive bed underneath them to prevent their hips from sinking, furthering their back pain.
Shoulder Pain — As I rolled over to my side, you’ll see some pressure that’s formed around my shoulders and hips. While I didn’t feel a significant amount of discomfort, and it’s natural for some pressure to form in these areas. I think sleepers with shoulder pain should be happy on this bed, but if you’re concerned about too much pressure buildup I’d recommend opting for the soft model, with more plush, or checking out some of our best foam mattresses instead.
Hip Pain — I think this mattress is a bit too soft for strict stomach sleepers who may have hip pain. I felt my hips sinking into the bed, which created a bend in my spine. This can lead to joint pain over time, so I’d recommend opting for the firm version or a firmer mattress if you’re a strict stomach sleeper. Back sleepers with hip pain should feel well supported with their hips aligned, relieving lots of preexisting pain. Side sleepers should also feel a good amount of pressure relief on their hips while the memory foam contours to their bodies.
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Performance for Couples
When sharing the bed with a partner, you’ll want to keep a few more things in mind while shopping for a new mattress. Features you’ll want to consider include motion transfer, performance during sex, cooling, and edge support.
Next up, my motion transfer test indicates the amount of disturbance you’ll feel from one side of the bed to the other. This is especially important for people who share a bed with a restless partner.
To illustrate this motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lb steel ball from heights of 4 inches, 8 inches, and 12 inches and measured the disturbance it caused. The bigger the lines, the bigger the disturbance.
The results revealed an initial spike in motion that dissipated quickly. This means that while you might feel some initial motion when someone jumps into bed, that disturbance will fade fast. Overall, I think that most couples should be fairly comfortable sharing the Spartan.
The Spartan is an okay mattress for sex — not great, but not horrible. The pocketed coils and variety of supportive foams counteract the plush feel to create a mattress that you can sink into a bit, but won’t feel enveloped by the bed. There is a tiny bit of a bounce here and there with this medium-firm mattress, but if sex is very high on your priorities you may want to check into the firm version of this mattress, which feels more reponsive.
The Spartan gets an A+ for its cooling capabilities, which are mainly found in the comfort layer of this mattress. The CopperFlex foam used by Brooklyn Bedding is gel-infused and incorporates TitanCool phase change technology to keep you cool all night long.
Edge support is a measure of whether or not the side of your mattress will collapse when you put weight on it. The Spartan has reinforced edges making for great all-around edge support. The “quantum edge technology” (aka reinforced steel coils) made me feel super stable when I sat or laid on the edge of the bed.
This is a great sign for heavier sleepers and couples. You can spread out over your entire sleeping surface without worrying about premature sagging or slipping off the edge.
What is the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress Made Of?
The Spartan Mattress is a 13.5” hybrid mattress made up of six distinct layers of foam and coils. To see how the Spartan is built, let’s dive into each layer.
Cover — The cooling smart fabric performance cover uses far infrared ray technology to promote athletic recovery and improve your sleep. Supposedly, this fabric uses nanobionic technology to absorb waves of energy from your body and reflect it back in a way that promotes circulation and recovery. I’m not a doctor, so I’d encourage you to do your own research about that. But I will say the performance fabric is nice and breathable.
Comfort Layer — Next up is a layer of CopperFlex foam. This gel-infused foam uses TitanCool phase change technology to avoid trapping body heat. This layer sleeps super cool. It’s also antimicrobial, which is a nice added bonus.
Transition Layer — The second layer of the Spartan is made of hyper-elastic TitanFlex foam. This material is similar to polyfoam and has a quick response to pressure, which helps prevent you from feeling too stuck in bed.
Contour Layer — Next up is a third layer of swirl visco-elastic memory foam. This layer feels like traditional memory foam, and offers some nice body contouring.
Support Layer — Below all the foam is a pocketed coil system. These innerspring coils promote airflow throughout the mattress and offer support and bounce to the rest of the structure.
Base Layer — The bottom of this bed is constructed with high-density foam, which acts as a foundation for the overall mattress.
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The Spartan is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will ship right to your door and will have to be unboxed at home. As with all bed-in-a-box mattresses, you’ll need to wait at least 24-48 hours for this bed to fully decompress.
As with many new mattresses, the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan will likely emit a smell when it is first unboxed — this is known as off-gassing. If you do detect an odor, I suggest unzipping the mattress cover and leaving it in a well-ventilated room for a few days while the smell completely dissipates.
Now that we’ve tossed and turned on the Spartan mattress and conducted various tests, I want to recap with some of my favorite things and my complaints about this bed. Though I can’t decide if the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan is the right mattress for you, I hope these key remarks help you decide.
My favorite things about the Spartan mattress
I really appreciate the great edge support, cooling features, and motion isolation on the Spartan mattress. All these traits make me think this could be a great mattress for couples. It’s medium-firm feel should also appeal to many different sleepers, making it a great mattress to share.
I also appreciate that the Spartan offers great pressure relief without making me feel overly “stuck-in” in bed. I think that’s a great feature for combination sleepers who spend part of the night on their sides.
My Spartan mattress complaints
I don’t have many complaints about the Brooklyn Spartan. I think this is a well-made, durable bed. If it fits your sleep preferences, you should be happy with it. I’d say stomach sleepers and folks in search of a very buoyant feel may want to choose a different mattress.
I also think budget shoppers may want to look elsewhere. The Spartan is Brooklyn Bedding’s most expensive mattress option. While I do think the price is justified, you may be able to find a more affordable option that works for you.
How Much Does the Spartan Cost?
Price point is a big consideration when choosing a new mattress. If you’re convinced the Spartan mattress is a fit for you, check out the size and pricing information for the mattress below. And be sure to visit our Brooklyn Bedding mattress coupon page to snag a deal.
Prices listed will be before discount or offer on each size.
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,099|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,299|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5"||$1,999|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5”||$2,449|
|California King||72” x 84” x 13.5”||$2,449|
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress come with a trial period?
Yes, the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress does come with a 120-night sleep trial.
Does Brooklyn Bedding offer a mattress warranty?
Yes, the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
How does the Spartan mattress ship?
The Brooklyn Bedding Spartan mattress will ship for free. This is a bed-in-a-box mattress and will arrive compressed, so you should allow a few hours for decompression and off-gassing before sleeping on your new mattress.
Does the Brooklyn Bedding Spartan need a box spring?
No, you don’t need a box spring with this bed, any hard flat surface will work to support it. You can also use a slatted bed frame or adjustable base.
Can you flip the Spartan?
No, you can’t flip this bed, it’s built with comfort foams on top and will not be comfortable if you flip it over to sleep on the firm base foams.
Where are Brooklyn Bedding mattresses made?
Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are proudly made in the USA.
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress Vs
In this section, I’ll compare the Spartan mattress to some of its competition, Casper and GhostBed. Take a look below to see how the Spartan mattress stacks up against hybrid mattress offerings from these two online mattress brands.
Spartan Mattress vs Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress
- The Wave Hybrid feels a little softer than the Spartan.
- The Wave offers zoned support, which means it’s firmer at the hips and softer at the shoulders. This could be a nice perk for anyone who struggles with back pain.
- The Wave is Casper’s luxury option, and is more expensive than the Spartan.
- Find out more in the full Casper Wave Hybrid mattress review.
Spartan Mattress vs GhostBed Flex Mattress
- Like the Spartan, the GhostBed Flex is a good choice for couples.
- The Flex is very cooling, and may have the edge over the Spartan in that department.
- Like the Spartan, this GhostBed has a medium-firm to medium-soft feel.
- Learn more in the full GhostBed Flex mattress review.
Other Models from Brooklyn Bedding
Brooklyn Bedding makes several different mattress models. To help you decide if another Brooklyn Bedding mattress might work better for your needs, I’ll compare the Spartan to the Brooklyn Aurora Hybrid and the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid.
Spartan Mattress vs Brooklyn Signature Hybrid Mattress
- The Signature Hybrid is bouncier than the Spartan, so it may be a better pick for combination sleepers.
- The Signature feels firmer than the Spartan, so sleepers who prefer firm support may like this bed.
- The Signature is significantly cheaper than the Spartan.
- Interested in this mattress? Head over to the Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review to learn more.
Spartan Mattress vs Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Hybrid Mattress
- The Aurora Hybrid feels much softer than the Spartan.
- Side sleepers should like the plush feel of the Aurora mattress.
- Like the Spartan, the Aurora sleeps cool, so hot sleepers who like a soft feel might want to check it out.
- Check out the full Brooklyn Bedding Aurora mattress review for more on this bed.
Still not sure if the Spartan mattress is right for you? Take a look at the ratings below to decide!
Brooklyn Bedding Spartan Mattress
- Edge Support