Lookout! It’s time for another mattress battle. On one side we have the big and bold WinkBed mattress. On the other, we have the veteran of the online mattress industry, the Saatva. Both mattresses are trying to be the king of the e-commerce innerspring mattress market, but who will take home the crown? Keep reading below to find out which coil mattress is best for you!
In a bit of a time crunch? Click here to skip down to the review summary
Saatva Mattress Review
Saatva decided to take a different approach with their design. Their mattress is built from 2 layers of steel coils with heights of either 11.5″ or 14.5″, based on sleeper’s preference. This hybrid coil-on-coil system assists in improving comfort, support, and longevity.
- Top layer (comfort) – pillow top cover – built from organic cotton, the cover is both breathable and soft. Stuffed within the cover, a euro-style pillow top adds great comfort and softness in addition to capping off the clean aesthetic.
- Second layer (lumbar support) – memory foam – directly below the cover lies a layer of memory foam. This thin layer contributes by supplying additional lumbar support. This is a very thin layer.
- Third layer (support) – foam encased contour coils – serving as the comfort and contour layer are 4″ of individually foam encased coils. These coils are designed to provide full body support and contour. In the Queen size Saatva there are 884 foam encased coils.
- Foundation Layer (support) – high profile hour glass coils – traditional hourglass shaped, steel coils make up the foundational layer. This layer provides support and shape for the mattress. Within the queen size, a total of 416 coils provide 7″ of thickness.
- Edge Support System (edge support) – support foam – this layer runs along the edge of the mattress and sits between the top and bottom layer of coils. The purpose of this layer is to improve performance for sitting and sleeping by adding support to the edges all of the way around the mattress.
Highly breathable, cool, & soft. The Saatva’s cover is made up of 100% organic cotton and feels very well constructed. This cover is actually very similar to the cover used on Saatva’s luxury foam mattress, the Loom & Leaf.
The euro-style pillow top adds a great amount of softness and comfort to the mattress. Euro-style is structured a little different compared to the traditional pillow tops. Euro-style pillow tops are inserted underneath the cover and seamlessly align to the edge of the mattress. This process helps to cap off an aesthetically pleasing look. Traditional style pillow tops give the appearance of a large pillow on the top of your mattress, due to it being sewn directly to the top layer of the mattress itself.
Over time, traditional style pillow tops tend to lose their build and softness. In contrast, euro-style tops generally do not. The softness is created from a combination of 1.25″ of soft foam in the cover + 1 oz Darcon + 3/4″ Fiber fill.
Lastly, Saatva uses a slightly different quilting pattern than many other companies. The quilting pattern and stitching is tighter towards the middle of the mattress cover and more spread out towards the head and foot. This creates more lumbar and mid-section support and also helps to create a more neutral spinal alignment for your body.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Saatva is slightly different with regards to firmness. Instead of designing a universal comfort, “one-firmness-fits-all” mattress, the Saatva offers 3 different levels of firmness ranging from 3.5-8.5 out of 10 ( with 10 being the most firm). Their plush soft design sits at a 3.5 out of 10, luxury firm is a 6 out of 10, and the firm Saatva is an 8-8.5 out 10.
Upon initial contact with the mattress you will instantly feel the softness and comfort from the euro-style pillow top. Additionally, you will notice the high level of support the coil-on-coil layers provide. This design allows for all variations of sleeping styles, sizes, and positions to be well supported, while pressure points are alleviated by the top comfort layers. When discussing the material construction, the Saatva does a nice job of combining organic and healthy materials at all stages of their mattress. The coils used are recycled, the cover is 100% organic cotton, and natural thistle is used as a flame retardant instead of a fire sock or chemical base FR.
Bounce on the Saatva is also a big benefit. As a pocketed coil mattress, you would expect a good amount of bounce. With this mattress, the level of bounce, in addition to a great edge support system, made amorous activities much more enjoyable.
NEED MORE? Read full Saatva mattress review
- Shipping – 7-15 days, Free, white glove delivery service (they will setup the mattress in your home and take your old mattress away if you like)
- Warranty – 15 years, first 2 years = full replacement; years 3-15 = prorated replacement and/or repairs based on defect
- Trial Period – 120 days
- Returns – 100% money back if you decide the Saatva is not the not the right choice for you
WinkBeds Mattress Review
As a hybrid mattress, the WinkBed is built from coil-on-coil springs and a foam blend. Sitting at 15″ in height, it is designed to offer a luxurious, high-end feel and aesthetic.
The WinkBeds mattress is a structured from 4 different layers of coils and foam.
- Top Layer (comfort) – 2″ euro-style pillow top. Stuffed with super soft foam and gel foam. This layer is designed to provide a very cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
- 2nd Layer (support) – 2.5″ layer of pocketed coils. With each coil individually wrapped in foam, this layer allows the mattress to better contour and form to each sleeper’s unique shape.
- 3rd Layer (deep compression / transition) – 7.5″ layer of high-profile coils. Providing deep compression, these steel coils act as a transitional support layer.
- Bottom Layer (foundation) – 2″ layer of high-density support foam. Helps with the shape of the mattress and acts as a foundational base.
- Edge Support System (perimeter edges only) – this is a firm foam that runs along the perimeter edges of the mattress. This design was put into place in order to help reinforce the edges. This is beneficial for those who prefer to sleep close to the edge, in addition to sitting on the edge, and assists in amorous activities.
The cover of the WinkBeds mattress is made from Tencel fibers. Tencel is a fiber derived from the Eucalyptus tree. The cover does a great job at wicking moisture and breathing, keeping the sleeping surface quite cool. It’s also quite soft and has a nice feel, very similar to cotton.
The WinkBed also has a euro-style pillow top. Very similar to the Saatva, the pillow top adds great comfort and softness.
The Winkbed’s cover design is quite classic, yet still modern. The all white top and side panels offer a traditional style, but the polka dots on a blue background really liven up the look. The ribbon of polka dots balance out the look of the Winkbed for a clean and modern finish.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The WinkBed medium comes in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm). The top layer of the WinkBed is quite thick and dense. This is perhaps the most unique attribute of the WinkBed. The pillow top layers are quite densely packed. As a lighter sleeper at 140 pounds I felt like I was more floating on top of the foams vs. being hugged by them. For heavier sleepers that put more pressure on the mattress you should expect a more balanced level of hug, as the denser layers will spread out to evenly support the increased weight. The WInkBed is also offered in soft (4.5 out of 10) and firm (7.5 out of 10) models.
The sleeping surface of the WinkBed is both cool and comfortable. There is not a significant hug, but your body does feel the cushion from the foam in the pillow top. The balanced feel on top derives from a combination of high density foam, high profile coils, and pocketed coils.
Additionally, the bounce of this mattress is pretty impressive, which is expected with the coil-on-coil construction.
To cap it all off, I feel as if the WinkBed has the traditional innerspring feel with added comfort from the euro-style pillow top. Although there is minimal hug and contour, this mattress can be beneficial for those sleepers who prefer a more classic feel vs. the modern 100% foam feel.
NEED MORE? Read full WinkBeds mattress review
Use code SLEEPOPOLIS50 to save $50 on any WinkBed mattress.
- Shipping – free shipping to your door or a $99 white glove delivery service, arrives in 7-10 days
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 101 nights
- Returns – very easy, 100% money back refund if the WinkBed isn’t right for you
- Discounts – $50 discount with code SLEEPOPOLIS50.
Below is our side-by-side mattress comparison of the Saatva vs. WinkBeds mattress
|Layers||1.25" soft foam, 1" memory foam, 4" foam encased coils, 7" hourglass shaped coils||2" pillow-top, 2.5" pocketed coils, 8.5" high-profile coils, 2" support foam|
|Height||11.5 or 14.5"||15"|
|Cover||100% organic cotton, soft, highly breathable||Tencel fibers, highly durable, modern aesthetic|
|Firmness||3.5 out of 10|
6 out of 10
8 out of 10
|4.5 out of 10|
6 out of 10
7.5 out of 10
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Price - Queen||$999||$1,299|
|Price - King||$1,399||$1,549|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 nights||101 nights|
|Shipping||Free, 7-15 days, White glove delivery and mattress removal||Free, 7-10 days, full service delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
|Discounts||None Available||$50 off, use code SLEEPOPOLIS50|
Should I Buy the Saatva or WinkBeds Mattress?
So the big question, which is the best mattress choice for you, Saatva or WinkBed? Both mattresses have many similarities, including their coil-on-coil pocketed coil design, euro-style pillow top, impressive edge support, traditional feel, and high end construction. However, there are significant differences in feel and material components that will likely make one of these mattresses better based on your needs.
I would recommend the Saatva to sleepers who:
- Want to choose their firmness level – with 3 different firmness levels (soft, medium, & firm) sleeper’s have the option of choosing their preferred firmness level. Ranging from 3.5-8.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm) the Saatva meets the needs of a wide range of sleepers.
- Want to choose between lean or traditional thickness – Saatva is available in both 11.5″ or 14.5″ thicknesses. The feel is exactly the same, but if you prefer a leaner or thicker look you have both options available to you.
- Want an organic cotton cover – made from 100% organic cotton, the Saatva’s cover is a highly breathable, cool, and soft. Additionally, it is a healthy alternative to the typical mattress cover.
- Want more contour and hug – the biggest difference between Saatva and WinkBed comes down to the materials within the euro-style pillow top. Saatva has a less dense topper, which creates a more balanced level of contour and body hug for most sleepers. At 140 pounds, I prefer the top layer feel of the Saatva as it creates more hug, more contour, and more pressure relief. If you’re very heavy and/or you prefer to “float on top” of the mattress the WinkBed is likely a better choice for you.
I would recommend the WinkBed to sleepers who:
- Like the idea of choosing their firmness level – offered in soft, medium, and firm, the WinkBed allows sleepers to choose their preferred level of firmness. The WinkBed mattress firmness ranges from 4.5-7.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm.
- Want a Tencel cover – made from Tencel fibers, the Winkbeds cover is super, breathable, and naturally absorbs moisture, keeping the sleeping surface cool.
- Prefer to float on top of the mattress – although the WinkBed uses a euro-style pillow top, it felt more as if I floated on top of the mattress versus sinking into it. The WinkBed’s pillow top is quite dense and thick. For those sleepers who prefer a “float on top of the foam” type of a feel and/or sleepers who are heavier and will put increased pressure on the mattress, this extra dense padding can be good. If you’re a lighter sleeper and/or you prefer more contour / hug, the Saatva is likely a better choice for you.
Don’t forget to use the Sleepopolis promo code, “SLEEPOPOLIS50” if you decide to purchase a WinkBed!
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- Labor Day Mattress Sale 2018 - August 14, 2018
- Thermoregulation During Sleep: How Room and Body Temperature Affects Your Rest Quality - August 8, 2018