In the world of mattress toppers, the desired effect is to add a little plushness and give to a firm bed. However, there are instances when time and toll can make already-cushy beds uncomfortably soft. You sink in, your spine loses its alignment, and you wake up every morning with a litany of aches and pains. Adding one of our best firm mattress toppers can be a great way to get a little extra support without you having to go all in on a brand-new bed.
Best Firm Mattress Toppers of 2023
- Editor’s Pick – Nolah Mattress Topper
- Best Firm Latex Mattress Topper – Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
- Best Firm Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers – ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
- Best Firm Mattress Topper for Back Pain – TEMPUR-Adapt Topper
- Best Extra-Firm Mattress Topper – PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
Editor’s Pick – Nolah Mattress Topper
Nolah Mattress Topper
The Nolah Mattress Topper is a high-quality product boasting a CertiPUR-US certification. Nolah's signature foam is described as more durable, plush, and cooling than other foams on the market.
4.90 / 5Read Full Review
Our favorite firm mattress topper is the Nolah Mattress Topper. It’s made of a denser foam that should provide pressure relief without making you feel trapped in the material. For those wanting to add a firmer feel to their mattress, we recommend the Luxury Firm option over the Plush option. The high-quality materials within this topper should help it maintain its shape well over time. In fact, it boasts an organic cotton cover and CertiPUR-US certified foam.
- The foam within this topper should dissipate heat well, making it a solid choice for hot sleepers.
- It’s made in the U.S. and includes a 10-year warranty, as well as free shipping.
- It comes with elastic bands to secure the topper to your mattress.
- This topper is quite expensive, so while it’s a good investment, it may not be ideal for budget shoppers.
Read our full Nolah mattress topper review to learn more.
Best Firm Latex Mattress Topper – Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Brooklyn Bedding's Talalay Latex mattress topper is a natural, cooling mattress topper. Talalay Latex, which is the interior material in this topper, is an Oeko-Tex certified material, meaning that it is free of harmful chemicals, and it's naturally bouncy, durable, and cooling.
4.50 / 5
Brooklyn Bedding’s Talalay Latex mattress topper is our all-time favorite firm latex topper. This product is incredibly versatile; it comes in two different options for covers and three different firmness levels. The topper cover options include an organic cotton cover and a luxury cooling cover for sleepers who overheat at night. And as for firmness, you have your choice between Soft, Medium, and Firm. While those looking for a firmer topper will likely want the Firm version, the latex in each option should result in a more supportive feel overall.
- The latex used in this topper should prevent you from getting too hot at night, as it’s a naturally cooling material.
- Latex is naturally bouncy and sturdy. Adding this topper to your mattress should give you the feeling of sleeping on top of of the bed, rather than sinking into it.
- The interior of the topper is OEKO-TEX certified, meaning it’s free of harmful chemicals.
- Some customers have reported inconsistencies in the sizing of the topper, which can cause it not to align perfectly with your bed.
Our full Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper review is coming soon!
Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers – ViscoSoft Select High Density
ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
The ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper features high-density gel-infused foam with perforations for airflow, as well as a bamboo rayon cover and adjustable no-slip straps.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
Side sleepers require sufficient pressure relief to cradle pain points at the hips and shoulders. Though we consider the ViscoSoft Select High Density topper to be medium-firm, it has the characteristics of a firmer topper and provides some great support. This balanced feel is good for side sleepers; they should receive the necessary plushness without feeling like they’re stuck in the material. Its three-inch foam construction is gel-infused, so this topper shouldn’t trap heat like other foam models.
- Its thicker construction and excellent materials make the Select High Density topper a durable option.
- The foam used is CertiPUR-US certified, so you can rest assured you’re sleeping on quality materials.
- This topper is offered in a short queen size, which should fit well in an RV or van.
- This topper won’t be firm enough for stomach sleepers. These folks need more support to keep the hips lifted and the spine in neutral alignment.
Read our full ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper review!
Best Firm Mattress Topper for Back Pain – TEMPUR- Adapt Topper
TEMPUR-Adapt Mattress Topper
The TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is a great mattress topper with a soft memory foam feel that offers impressive pressure relief!
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
The TEMPUR-Adapt Topper is a mattress topper from the classic brand TEMPUR-Pedic, known for their high-quality memory foam mattresses. We think this firmer topper is a solid match for those with back pain because it uses a balance of comfort and support. Overall, the memory foam in this topper creates a slow response to pressure and provides some great pressure relief. Also, its thick foam gives it a firmer feel and added support. This balanced construction is ideal for back sleepers and side sleepers.
- This topper is basically a mini mattress; it’s three inches thick, so it’s very durable. Because of this, we think it’d make a good camping mattress or even a makeshift guest bed.
- The cover is made of a knit polyester blend that’s soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking.
- TEMPUR-Pedic offers a 10-year warranty on this topper.
- While the cover is washable, the TEMPUR material inside is not.
- This topper is definitely on the pricier side, so if you’re shopping on a budget, it may not be the best option for you.
Read our full TEMPUR-Adapt Topper review!
Best Extra-Firm Mattress Topper – PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
Plushbeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is made with 100% natural latex that's Oeko-Tex certified for safety standards. It's available in two thicknesses—two or three inches—and in five different firmnesses, including extra-firm. You can also add a GOTS certified organic cotton cover for an additional $99.
4.90 / 5
The PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper is extremely versatile. It’s available in two thicknesses—two or three inches—and in five different firmnesses, including extra-firm (which is great for raising the firmness of a way-too-soft bed). The extra-firm version is ideal for stomach sleepers or heavier sleepers who are looking for something extremely supportive. Perhaps one of the best parts about this topper is that it’s environmentally friendly; the latex is free of toxic chemicals.
- This topper regulates temperature well, as the latex used in its construction is a naturally cooling material.
- PlushBeds provides free shipping and a 5-year warranty.
- If you’ve been wanting to try out latex as a sleeping surface but don’t want to invest in a brand-new mattress just yet, this topper is a great way to modify the bed you already have.
- The topper doesn’t come with a cover, but you can purchase one for $99. The PlushBed cotton cover is GOTS certified organic.
Our full PlushBeds Latex Mattress Topper review is coming soon!
Methodology: How We Chose the Best Firm Mattress Toppers
Choosing the right mattress topper with the purpose of adding firmness is always a bit tricky, because what’s firm to one person may be completely soft for someone else. With that in mind, there were a few specifics our team of Certified Sleep Science Coaches looked at when assembling our list.
Certain topper materials tended to hold firmness better than others. We found that the variance in firmness of memory foam was ideal more often than not, because it added the proper amount of resistance without sacrificing comfort.
Mattress toppers are usually bought in lieu of purchasing an entirely new mattress, and as a result, they can be low-cost and made of artificial or synthetic materials. These materials tend to breathe poorly, so it was important to us to factor in how cool the topper kept through the night.
Convenience and Accessories
A firm mattress topper can be a great investment on its own, but including a quality cover that can be easily attached to a mattress is a great bonus. It also helps if the cover can be removed and washed.
Firm Mattress Topper Tips
Here are a few additional things to consider before making your purchase!
You really want to factor in the thickness of the mattress topper when determining what’s right for your needs. If you’re looking to cover an extremely soft mattress in order to firm it up, look at thicker toppers (four or more inches). If you only need a small change in firmness, you may be able to get away with a thinner topper (two or three inches).
This ties in with the thickness of a mattress topper. For side sleepers who need additional pressure relief on the hips and shoulders, we recommend selecting a thicker topper for deeper contouring. Stomach sleepers, however, require more support, and they’re better off purchasing a thinner topper. Back sleepers are often somewhere in between based on their personal preferences.
Odds are, if you’re opting for a mattress topper, you’re avoiding buying a new mattress. That shouldn’t mean that you select something cheap and disposable. Investing in a high-quality mattress topper can pay off dividends in the long run.
Who Should Buy a Mattress Topper
Those Who Want to Change the Feel of Their Mattress
If you like your mattress for the most part but feel minor adjustments in firmness could make all the difference in the world, then we definitely suggest purchasing a topper. A mattress that’s too soft, too firm, and even too lumpy can be adjusted with the right topper.
Those Who Want to Extend the Lifespan of Their Mattress
A topper can help avoid premature wear and tear of a mattress. Depending on the product, spills, excess moisture, and dirt particles can be trapped by the topper itself and not the actual mattress. In this sense, we consider toppers to be a great investment. Mattresses can be expensive, and the more you can protect the condition of the one you own, the better.
Those Who Sleep Hot
There are many cooling mattress toppers on the market. Some of them have naturally cooling materials, and others boast the newest cooling technology. Either way, hot sleepers should consider a topper if they’re looking to lower their body heat or wick away some extra moisture at night.
Related: Best Cooling Mattress Topper
Those Who Want to Save Money
Mattresses can be extremely expensive and toppers are a fantastic way to adjust firmness without breaking the bank.
Related: Best Cheap Mattress Topper
Who Shouldn’t Buy a Mattress Topper
Those Who Already Sleep on a Worn-Out Mattress
A mattress topper can’t save a mattress that’s already experiencing problems. Adding a topper won’t fix sagging in the middle of the mattress, nor will it fix your spinal alignment. If a mattress is too old, we recommend purchasing new one.
Related: Best Mattresses of 2023
Mattress Toppers vs Mattress Pads vs Mattress Protector
Mattress pads and toppers are used to alter the feel of a mattress, but mattress toppers are around two to three inches thicker and often heavier. While some of these products can fight against contaminants, it’s not what they’re built for. Mattress protectors, on the other hand, can save your mattress from moisture, bed bugs, allergens, and other contaminants. They aren’t intended to change the feel of your mattress, but they can extend the life of your mattress.
Our Review Process
Here at Sleepopolis, our team of Certified Sleep Science Coaches has personally tested and reviewed each mattress topper, taking time to assess it on our backs, stomachs, and sides. By seeing how the topper performs in each position, we’re able to give our final verdict for a variety of sleepers.