In the world of mattress toppers, oftentimes the desired effect is to add a little plushness and give to a firm bed. There are instances, however, when time and toll can make already-soft beds uncomfortably soft. You sink in, your spine loses its alignment and you wake up every morning with a litany of aches and pains.
Adding a firm mattress topper can be a great way to provide a little extra support without going all in on a newer, firmer mattress. Or, if you’re a person who likes a firmer sleeping surface (or you’re a back or stomach sleeper) and your partner likes to sink into a more plush bedding, a topper can be a great way to achieve that desired balance. The best firm mattress toppers come in a variety of materials and features, but luckily we’re here to help you parse the category.
Brooklyn Bedding Organic Cotton Talalay Latex Topper
- If you sleep hot at night, the latex used in this topper will help to keep you from overheating, as latex is a naturally cooling material.
- Latex is also naturally a very bouncy and sturdy material. Adding this latex topper to your mattress will lift you up and give you the feeling of sleeping on top of your mattress, instead of sinking in.
- You can sleep soundly knowing all the materials used in this topper are natural and safe.
- Some customers have reported inconsistencies in the sizing of the toppers, which can cause the topper not to align perfectly with your bed.
The Organic Cotton Talalay Latex mattress topper is a natural, cooling mattress topper. Talalay Latex, which is the interior material in this topper, is an Oeko-Tex certified material, meaning that it is free of harmful chemicals, and it's naturally bouncy, durable, and cooling. This topper is available in three different firmness levels and is three inches tall.
Best Firm Mattress Topper for Back Pain
- This topper is very dense and durable. It weighs about 30 lbs. and is three inches thick, so it’s basically a mini-mattress. It could even work for camping mattress or a make-shift guest bed in a pinch.
- The TEMPUR-Topper Supreme has a slow response to pressure and allows the sleeper to sink in deeply, which offers nice pressure relief for back and side sleepers. If you like the feel of memory foam, you will probably enjoy this topper.
- The cover not only feels soft and breathable, but it’s also washable.
- While the cover is washable, the TEMPUR material inside is not, and it really shouldn’t get wet at all.
- This topper is definitely on the pricier side, so if you’re shopping on a budget, it may not be the best option for you.
- Tempur-Pedic does offer a 25 year warranty on this topper, but there are no returns or trial period offered.
The TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is mattress topper from the classic brand Tempur-Pedic, known for their high-quality memory foam mattresses. This topper uses the same TEMPUR material to offer a classic memory foam feel, which allows the sleeper to sink deeply into it. The cover of this topper is made of a knit polyester blend that is soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking.
Best Mattress Topper for a Heavy Person
Airweave Mattress Topper
- This topper can quickly and easily increase the firmness of a mattress by 30-50%. If your mattress is just too soft but you don’t want to replace it, this topper can bring that firmness level of. This is handy for heavier people, who will find the feel of mattresses to be softer than an average-weight person, since they will sink in more deeply.
- Another quick fix this topper provides is adding more edge support, which is how well the perimeter of your mattress bears weight.
- Airweave’s proprietary airfiber filling allows for much more airflow than other materials, like memory foam, which creates a cooler sleeping experience.
- This topper is quite expensive, ranging from $610-$870, depending on what size you purchase. If you’re on a budget, this isn’t a great option.
The Airweave mattress topper is designed to create a firm sleeping surface. It's made with Airweave's proprietary airfiber, which is made with 100% food-grade polyethylene that's BPA free, eco-friendly, and hypoallergenic. Essentially, it looks like tangled plastic string. The airfiber not only allow airflow that keeps you cool, but can make your mattress firmer and give you the feeling of floating on top of your bed.
Best Extra Firm Mattress Topper
PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
- This topper regulates temperature well, as the latex used in its construction is a naturally cooling material.
- Having the option to choose between firmnesses provides a lot of flexibility, while still providing pressure relief. The extra-firm model will help raise the firmness level of a too-soft bed.
- If you’ve been wanting to try latex to sleep on but don’t want to invest in a latex mattress yet or need to firm up a mattress that isn’t working for you, this topper is a great option to modify the mattress you already have.
- The mattress topper does not automatically come with a cover—that’s something you’ll have to pay for on top of the topper itself. Having a cover can help keep the topper clean, especially since latex can’t be machine washed.
This mattress topper is made with 100% natural latex that's Oeko-Tex certified for safety standards. It's available in two thicknesses—two or three inches—and in five different firmnesses, including extra-firm. You can also add a GOTS certified organic cotton cover for an additional $65.
Best Cooling Firm Mattress Topper
GhostBed Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Memory foam is usually known for trapping heat, but the gel foam used in this mattress topper will help to keep you cooler throughout the night.
- The cover of this mattress topper is a deep-pocket cotton cover that is essentially a mattress protector, covering both the topper and bed. It also features the GhostGrip elastic band that holds the topper and cover securely in place.
- The topper is designed with five targeted comfort zones, which helps to relieve pressure.
- The foam of this topper is three inches thick, so you’ll just want to be sure that your sheets will fit over your bed with those additional inches on top.
GhostBed's memory foam mattress topper is made with three inches of contouring and cooling gel foam. It also features five targeted comfort zones to support your head, shoulders, torso, legs, and feet.
Firm Mattress Topper Methodology
Choosing the right mattress topper with the express purpose of adding firmness is always a bit tricky, because what’s firm to one person may be completely soft for someone else. With that in mind, there were a few specifics we looked at when assembling our list.
- Material: Certain topper materials tended to hold firmness better than others. We found that oftentimes the variance in firmness of memory foam was ideal more times than not, because it added the proper amount of resistance without sacrificing comfort.
- Breathability: Mattress toppers are usually bought in lieu of purchasing an entirely new mattress, and as a result they can be low-cost and made of artificial or synthetic materials. These materials tend to breathe poorly, so it was important to us to factor in how cool the topper kept through the night.
- Convenience and Accessories: A firm mattress topper can be a great investment on its own, but including a quality cover that can be easily attached to a mattress is a great bonus. It also helps if the cover can be easily removed and washed.
Firm Mattress Topper Tips
Selecting the right mattress topper to achieve your desired firmness will largely be dependent on personal preference; what materials you like, how you sleep, etc. Here are some big things to consider:
- Thickness: You really want to factor in the thickness of the mattress topper when determining what’s right for your needs. If you’re looking to cover an extremely soft mattress in order to firm it up, look at thicker toppers (four or more inches). If you only need a small change in firmness, you may be able to get away with a thinner topper (two or three inches).
- Longevity: Odds are, if you’re opting for a mattress topper you’re avoiding buying a new mattress. That shouldn’t mean that you select something cheap and disposable. Investing in a high-quality mattress topper can pay off dividends in the long run.
Firm Mattress Topper Recap
Adding firmness to a soft mattress is no easy task. Typically toppers are used to soften too-firm mattresses. But, if done correctly, you’ll be able to achieve the firmness level of your dreams while extending the life of your existing mattress for the fraction of the price of a new mattress.