Foam mattress toppers can do a lot for a mattress. They can soften a mattress that has become too firm. They can also rejuvenate an older mattress, giving it a soft new feel. Some can even keep the top of a mattress cool. Back sleepers who are struggling on a firm mattress should really consider a foam topper. A foam topper can contour to the shape of a back sleepers body while also supporting the lumbar area. Side sleepers looking for extra pressure relief should also take a look at a foam mattress topper.
Some toppers made of soft, high-density memory foam and provide that slow, sinking feeling. Others contain more responsive polyfoam, while some contain gels to help you sleep cooler at night. At Sleepopolis, we have tried out many different types of foam mattress toppers. During our hundreds of hours on mattress toppers, five foam toppers have really stood out. One of these five foam toppers could be the right one for you!
Lucid 3-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- The Lucid should add pressure relief to a firmer mattress.
- It should be a good match for back sleepers seeking some more contouring.
- This topper comes in two sizes, 2” and 3”. There are two options when it comes to comfort.
- The topper is ventilated for airflow and contains a cooling gel to help with heat dissipation.
- The Lucid is a thicker memory foam topper. It could be difficult to move around on the topper.
- The topper might be too soft for stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers usually need a more supportive sleeping surface.
The Lucid is a soft memory foam mattress topper that should offer amazing pressure relief. It is 3” thick so it will allow sleepers to sink in while it relieves pressure on the heavier parts of the body. Side sleepers should feel almost no pressure on their shoulders and hips. Also, back sleepers should enjoy the extra contouring. The Lucid is also available in 2” for those want more support and less comfort.
Linenspa 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- The Linenspa will slightly soften a mattress. Back sleepers will like the Linenspa 2” as it will contour to the curves of the body while also pressing up into the lumbar area.
- This topper will add more pressure relief for side sleepers. If you sleep on your side, the Linenspa should make you feel less pressure on your shoulders and hips.
- The option of a 3” topper is great as it will provide even more pressure relief.
- The Linenspa is a great value.
- The Linenspa does not feature very high-density memory foam. Because of this, it might not be the most durable mattress topper. It is a very good deal, but might not last as long as other toppers on this list.
The Linenspa is a soft mattress topper made of slow-moving memory foam. It allows sleepers to slowly sink in and is designed to add comfort and pressure relief to a mattress. The Linenspa is also infused with gel beads to keep the mattress from getting too hot at night. You can choose from the 2” or the 3”( if you want even more pressure relief). Finally, the Linenspa 2” topper is the most affordable option on this list.
Lucid 2 Inch 5 Zone Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- The lavender scent is designed to help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
- The Lucid has five zones so the topper varies in terms of firmness. The topper is firmer under the lumbar area and softer near the shoulders, hips, and knees.
- Back sleepers should get the support they need on the Lucid while side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief.
- The zoned channels allow for room to flow through the topper. This will help the topper sleep cooler.
- The memory foam found in this topper is not of a very high-density. The topper might not last as long as a topper containing higher density foam.
- The lavender scent might be too much for some. Some customers complained that it was too intense for them.
So, there are a lot of things to consider when picking out a foam mattress topper. Firmness, feel, warmth; these all come into play. However, have you thought about the scent? Well, this Lucid topper is infused with lavender oils. The scent of these oils could promote deeper, healthier sleep. The Lucid also features five zones, making it a good fit for multiple sleeping positions.
Best Cooling Foam Topper
ViscoSoft 3” Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- The ViscoSoft should be a cooler-sleeping foam mattress topper. The gel infusion and cooling cover won’t trap heat.
- The topper will add a slow-moving memory foam feel to pretty much any mattress.
- Side sleepers should feel excellent pressure relief on the ViscoSoft.
- Heavier sleepers should find comfort on the ViscoSoft without bottoming out. The topper is 3” thick and contains high-density memory foam that should keep heavier bodies supported and comforted.
- The ViscoSoft is soft and not very responsive. It might be hard to change positions on this topper.
- The thick, soft topper is probably too soft for most stomach sleepers.
Foam mattress toppers can be great. They can soften a mattress and add some real comfort. However, foam toppers, especially those with memory foam in them, could make you sleep hotter. While the ViscoSoft does contain memory foam, it is infused with a cooling gel. The cover is made from a bamboo/rayon blend that is cool to the touch. The ViscoSoft’s 3” of soft memory foam is also just plain comfortable.
Best Pressure Relief
TEMPUR-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme 3-Inch Queen Mattress Topper
- The TEMPUR-Topper will help add pressure relief to a firmer mattress. Side sleepers should feel almost no pressure when they lie down.
- Back sleepers should also find this topper to be a good match. It will conform to the shape of the body while also providing nice lumbar support.
- Couples who are having issues co-sleeping should look at the TEMPUR-Topper. It will help cut down on motion transfer so you and your partner won’t disturb one another.
- The TEMPUR-Topper is 3” thick so heavier sleepers shouldn’t be bottoming out. They should sink into the high-density memory foam without hitting the mattress below.
- This topper is priced higher than the other options on this list and might be outside of some people’s price range.
- The TEMPUR-Topper does not contain gel or other cooling materials. It might sleep too hot for some.
- The memory foam in this topper is very slow-moving. Some people might find it difficult to move around on the TEMPUR-Topper.
TEMPUR-Pedic was at the forefront of the memory foam revolution. When we think of soft memory foam, this brand often comes to mind. Memory foam is usually quite good at enhancing the pressure relief of a mattress. Out of the toppers on this list, the TEMPUR-Topper features the best pressure relief. Side sleepers should feel very comfortable with the TEMPUR-Topper. Also, it is a great way to get that TEMPUR-Pedic experience without having to invest in a whole new mattress.
How We Picked
There are so many foam mattress toppers out there! Our reviewer personally slept on the most popular, most comfortable mattress toppers. To narrow down his list to just the very best, he analyzed the topper based on the following criteria.
- Firmness. We first measured the firmness of the topper. We did this by placing each topper on top of a firmer mattress. We then measured how firm the mattress was with the topper on top. This allowed us to know if the topper was softening the mattress or maybe making it firmer. With this information we were able to decide what type of sleeper each topper would be best for.
- Feel. A major consideration with foam toppers is the feel they add to the mattress. We considered how the topper felt as we lay down. Some toppers were more responsive while others were very slow moving. This let us know if it would be easier or more difficult to move around on the topper.
- Thickness. The thickness of a topper is important to consider as it determines what type of sleeper that topper is best for. For instance, a thicker topper is most likely a better choice for side sleepers while a thinner topper could be a better match for back sleepers and some stomach sleepers. It might also determine whether there is enough material to properly support or comfort a larger person.
- Options. It is always nice to have options. While some of these toppers only come in one size and one thickness, others have many have more options. The more choices you have, the better chance you have of find the perfect topper for your situation.
- Infusions. Infusions can do a lot for a topper. A gel or copper infusion can help dissipate the heat trapped by a foam topper. A lavender infusion can add some soothing scents to the topper. Infusions are an extra feature that greatly improve the quality of a topper.
- Durability. Buying a topper, it is important to know how long it will last. So, we considered the density of the foams used. Low-density foams (in the 1.5 to 2.5 lb range) while less expensive, rarely last a long as a high-density foam (3 lbs and higher).
- Value. We took all this criteria into account and gauged just how good of a value each topper was. We thought about the durability, the comfort added, and then thought about price. We wanted to decide whether each topper was worth the money or not.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
If you think a foam mattress topper is right for you, there are a few things you should think about. Keep these in mind and you shouldn’t have trouble finding the right foam topper for you!
- Your sleeping position. There is no one topper for everyone. This is especially true when you consider your sleeping position. Side sleepers should usually be looking for a softer mattress topper with good pressure relief. Back sleepers will want a topper with more of a balance of comfort and support. Stomach sleepers shouldn’t get a topper that softens their mattress too much.
- Foam durability. When choosing a topper, you will want to know just how long it is going to last. Keep an eye on foam density. If you get a topper with low-density foam, it could last for only a short time. A high-density memory foam topper, while it might cost more, should last for much longer. You could even look at something with latex foam if you want something more durable.
- Cooling features. Memory foam toppers are known for trapping heat. As you sink into a memory foam topper, you could feel your own body heat directed back at you. However, some foam toppers feature gel or copper infusions to help dissipate heat.
- Your weight and size. If you are a larger person, it will affect the type of topper you want to buy. A 2” low-density memory foam topper might be a good match for a lighter sleeper, but it could be too thin for you. Larger sleepers should consider a thicker topper with higher density foam.
These are just a few of the things you should keep in mind if you are shopping for a foam mattress topper. Whether you want to pick one of the five options above or want to keep looking, these tips should be very helpful.