Mattress pads are a great way to add additional softness and comfort to your mattress. They sit on top of your mattress and beneath your sheets, and can also add a bit of protection to your mattress (though mattress protectors are even better at doing this).
I’d heard a lot about Slumber Cloud’s products and their use of Outlast technology, and wanted to test it for myself. Will the company’s Nacreous mattress pad live up to the hype? Continue reading below to find out!
If you’re short on time, you can skip straight to my review summary.
Construction & Materials
The Slumber Cloud nacreous mattress pad has both a top Outlast viscose fabric and inner Outlast liner fabric. It’s made from a 350-thread count 50% Outlast viscose and 50% cotton blend.
As mentioned, the Slumber Cloud nacreous mattress pad is made with materials that use Outlast technology, which help to manage the micro-climate under the covers. Outlast is a special type of fabric technology known as PCM, phase change material.
It’s different than moisture wicking technology; specifically, it is designed to help you actually sweat less by storing excess heat from your body and then releasing it when your body temperature drops to prevent you from getting cold.
This product has received a Gold+ Outlast-Certified Comfort Rating, which is the highest possible rating for heat storage and comfort. Overall, I found the construction and design to be very well done. It also was true to fit for my king-size bed and did not slide or bunch.
Feel & Comfort
A lot of people purchase mattress pads in the first place to get a little more life out of their firm or old mattress. The primary role of most mattress pads is to make a mattress softer. The Slumber Cloud mattress pad did a nice job of adding a slight cushion to my mattress. However, it is definitely not the thickest mattress pad I’ve tried. If your primary reason for getting a mattress pad is increased softness, this might not be the one for you.
While testing the mattress pad, I would say the mattress remained relatively close to its original firmness level, but there was a little more pressure relief due to the soft nature of the nacreous mattress pad itself. The increase in softness is similar to the level and type of additional softness you would get with a thin summer style comforter.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a mattress pad to keep you cool at night while you sleep, the Slumber Cloud nacreous mattress pad is a great choice to consider. We all know that sleeping when we’re hot isn’t comfortable. Unfortunately, many mattresses – especially memory foam mattresses – hold in heat due to the nature of the materials they’re built with. Even memory foam mattresses with cooler foams can still feel too warm for sleepers who generate lots of heat and/or are on the heavier side.
I wouldn’t describe myself as a hot sleeper, however, after sleeping on the nacreous I find I really do like a cooler feel. The Slumber Cloud mattress pad is amazingly cool when you first get into bed. After a few minutes the materials begin to adapt to more of a temperature neutral feel, so you neither feel cold or warm. If you move to a new area on the mattress pad where you haven’t been lying you’ll experience that initial cool feel again, before the phase change materials adapt.
GUIDE: More mattress topper reviews
The feel of the material is equally impressive. So much so that my wife and I elected to forgo our fitted sheet so we could sleep in more direct contact with the mattress pad itself. The nacreous will still work fine with sheets on top, but for those who desire it, you can absolutely sleep in direct contact with the mattress pad.
Finally, the Slumber Cloud mattress pad didn’t rustle or make any noise, as is the case with some mattress pads I’ve tried. Additionally, the style was quite nice. The blue and white color combination offered a different look than most mattress pads.
- Smell – no off-gassing smell when removed from packaging
- Size – fits mattresses up to 20” deep
- Care – machine washable
- Allergies – hypoallergenic
- Colors – mauve, dew drop, blue
- Discounts – 10% off with code SLEEPOPOLIS
I would recommend this Slumber Cloud mattress pad to:
- Anyone with a mattress that tends to sleep warm – the Slumber Cloud mattress pad acts as a barrier between the hot mattress and you, using its Outlast technology to store excess heat until you need it. Whether you sleep warm from medical condition, aging, weight, or just personal preference, the Slumber Cloud mattress pad is an amazing choice to help reduce heat build up on any mattress.
- Couples who don’t agree on what’s “too hot” – the brilliance of Outlast technology is that it works on an individual level, so thermally varying couples can both sleep comfortably in the same bed.
- Women experiencing the effects of menopause – hot flashes won’t be completely eliminated with the Slumber Cloud nacreous mattress pad, but there’s a good chance they’ll be reduced enough so you can sleep peacefully.
For more information on the Slumber Cloud nacreous mattress pad, visit SlumberCloud.com.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- Lucid Dreaming: Benefits, Tips, and What the Science Says - June 21, 2018
- Unboxing the Tranquillium Mattress - June 6, 2018