Are you on the hunt for the perfect pillow, but not quite sure where to start? Well, I’ve personally tested 60 pillows over the last year (literally a dream job), and though it was a tough task, I narrowed it down to my top 3 favorites. So, read on to find out which pillow is right for you!
Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
Soft yet supportive, comfortable and breathable. It was an absolute pleasure to test this pillow – honestly I was pretty disappointed when I had to move on to the next one to test! When you dream of that “cloud feel” with a pillow, this one delivers.
The Eden pillow is the softest and most luxurious pillow on the COOP product line—and I have to agree with the soft aspect. At first touch, I was amazed by how soft and smooth it was. The cover fabric is made with their signature Lulltra™ fabric that is designed to be super breathable. There is also a gusseted cover for better edge support.
The Eden is also known for being breathable, aka a “cooling pillow,” ensuring you don’t wake up in the middle of the night due to overheating. The case is hypoallergenic and machine washable, too.
Great support, luxury feel, suits most sleepers’ preferences
On the softer side – not necessarily a con, but may not suit all preferences
Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow
Honestly after reviewing so many pillows, I was very surprised at the quality of these pillows at this price point. These pillows have a very soft feel initially, but then offer support as your head sinks into it. When they say “hotel”, they really mean that plush luxury feel that a lot of hotels go for – and I personally think they accomplished it with their pillow design.
Great value, soft yet supportive
May have different support experience for some based on your weight and sleeping position
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow Orthopedic Sleeping Pillows
Neck pain is the most common question about pillows receive at Sleepopolis. Note we are not medical professionals, so if you’re having pain, please consult a medical professional – and consider our recommendation based purely on my personal experience.
With that said, the EPABO Contour Pillow has a shape that just agrees with me, and makes my neck feel aligned in a way that normal pillows do not. The nature of the contour makes it easier to adjust the actual height that your head is supported at, while offering the neck wonderful support as well.
Great for aligning my neck (personal experience), Affordable price for an Orthopedic pillow
Takes at least a couple nights to adjust to the new style of pillow
Choosing Your Perfect Pillow
Okay, sleepers, before we get into the roundup, let’s start from square one: How do you know which pillow is right for you?
Well, sleep is something we all do differently (and no two bodies are exactly the same), so it’s important to find the pillows that are going to support your unique needs. Regardless of your slumber style, though, your pillow’s most important job is to help you maintain healthy posture throughout the night. That said, let’s take a look at which types of pillows are most compatible with each sleeping position:
- Side Sleepers — Side sleepers should aim for something more firmly supportive, with a lofty profile. A higher loft (height) is going to provide some nice pressure relief in your shoulder, and hold your head in neutral alignment with your spine. A firmer level of support will ensure that your head doesn’t gradually sink down, out of neutral alignment with your spine.
- Back Sleepers — Back sleepers should stick to what I call a “happy medium pillow.” This means that the loft should not be too tall, but not too low either. And the firmness should be medium to medium firm. However, back sleepers often alternate between the supine and lateral positions.
- Stomach Sleepers — In order to keep neutral alignment, it’s very important for stomach sleepers to use a pillow with low loft, and soft firmness. This is going to support the natural curvature of your spine, and make sure your head/neck is not craned upwards.
Once you’ve found a pillow that’s going to support a healthy posture, you can dive deeper into the fun details. Now, you might be asking yourself, “But how do I know if my posture is healthy or not?” Well, Dr. Poorbaugh told me that there’s a simple way to find out:
“In order to support the natural C curve of the cervical spine, choose a position that supports a neutral spine. This could be represented by ears in line with shoulders, or the chin in line with the sternum.”
Key Pillow Factors
Alright, you’ve seen my top pillow picks, but let’s recap the highlights so you know what to look for when you’re shopping on your own.
- Materials — The feel and support of your pillow is largely determined by the materials used. Love the fluffy feel of feathers? Go with down or a down-alternative pillow. If you prefer organic materials, Kapok and natural latex shreds are great options. Those who love that deep, body-conforming sink into the pillow might be most compatible with memory foam.
- Position — When it comes to picking the perfect pillow, loft and firmness matter! So remember: side sleepers are best suited to a higher loft with firmer support, stomach sleepers need lower loft and soft firmness, and back sleepers can float somewhere in between.
- Adjustability — When it doubt, it’s a good idea to pick a pillow with an adjustable fill. This allows sleepers to play around with the loft and firmness until they find their perfect comfort zone.
Now remember, folks: there’s a wide world of pillows out there, and these are just seven of my personal favorites. That said, each of these pillows comes with a trial period wherein you can test it out for a month or so before you commit to buying it. When it comes to picking your perfect pillow, I always recommend doing some preliminary research (by reading Sleepopolis reviews!), and taking advantage of any trial period a bedding brand has to offer. Well, now you know my lineup of the best pillow of 2019, so go forth and sleep well!