Whether you’re going camping or simply want to avoid hotel rooms on a road trip, a truck mattress can be a fantastic accessory. Built to sit snugly in the bed of a truck or the back of a car, these beds are typically filled with air to bring a little extra comfort to your outdoor sleeping experience. And while these products sometimes get a bad rap for being flimsy and uncomfortable, they’ve actually improved a ton in recent years. In fact, many truck mattresses today are just as cozy as “real” beds. But which one is right for you and your unique sleep needs? Well, I’m so glad you asked!
In this guide, I’m going to introduce you to the best truck mattresses on the market. Though they differ in terms of style, construction, and price, they’re all built to transform your car into the cozy mobile bedroom of your dreams! After we go over my picks, we’ll also dig into the methodology I used to select them. That way, you’ll know exactly what to look for when shopping for a truck mattress of your own. And if you’re still feeling overwhelmed, worry not, because I’m going to wrap things up with a few tips and tricks you can use to improve your search.
Best for Car
Wey&Fly SUV Air Mattress
If you’re looking to throw a thin inflatable mattress into the back of your car for a camping trip or beach day, you should definitely check out this option for WEY&FLY. Somewhere between an air mattress and a camping bed, this model doesn’t take up too much space, but is still able to convert the back of your car into a cushiony resting place.
- I think this could be a great option for those who just want to make the back of their car a little more comfortable on road trips or outside gatherings.
- It’s not as thick as some other truck mattresses on the market, so is a pretty solid budget buy.
- All in all, this mattress is a nice pick for those who need something a little less intense than a full-on truck mattress.
- You could totally sleep overnight on this bed, but it’s not going to be as comfortable as a more traditional truck mattress.
The Wey&Fly SUV Air Mattress is an affordable choice that's great for road trips.
Mobile Innerspace Truck Mattress
Though most truck mattresses are inflatable, there are a few foam models that are ready to use without any set up. Of these options, my favorite is this truck mattress from Mobile Innerspace. Built with high-density poly foam, this bed is sturdy and supportive, providing sleepers with a feel that’s pretty darn close to that of a “real” bed.
- If you need something a little sturdier than an inflatable air mattress, this foam truck mattress from Mobile Innerspace could be a good option.
- The mattress also comes in an array of different sizes, marking it as a good fit for many different types of spaces.
- In general, this is a solid pick for those who don’t want to sacrifice comfort for functionality.
- Since this truck mattress doesn’t deflate, it is a little harder to store than other options on the market!
The Mobile Innerspace Truck Mattress is a sturdy option and doesn't sacrifice comfort for functionality.
Best for Outdoor Use
Pittman Outdoors PPI PV202C
If you’re looking for a rugged truck mattress that you can bring on an outdoor adventure, look no further than this bed from Pittman Outdoors. Built with a high-grade PVC construction, this inflatable mattress is durable and supportive. Plus, it’s outfitted with Comfort Coil technology to create an interior that’s not likely to deflate in the night.
- This truck mattress has a bit more heft to it, marking it as a good option for campers and outdoor adventurers.
- It’s also reasonably priced, so could be a nice pick for those shopping on a budget.
- If you’re looking for an inflatable bed that’s not likely to burst while you’re slumbering outdoors, this could be the one for you.
- One slight con is that the mattress only comes in two sizes, so you’ll want to make sure it can actually fit in your space.
The Pittman Outdoors PPI PV202C is durable and affordable.
Pittman Outdoors PPI 302
Folks looking to snag a high-quality truck mattress need look no further than this model from Pittman Outdoors. Here, a comfort fabric top overlays a sturdy interior of air coils, which inflate in minutes using the bed’s built-in pump. Plus, it’s designed to fit over wheel wells, so should sit snugly in the bed of your truck.
- This is a supportive and comfortable mattress that could be great for especially long journeys.
- The soft comfort top makes it easy to secure linens and sheets.
- I also like that this truck mattress comes with a 1-year warranty, which increases its overall value.
- This is a pricier truck mattress, so may not work those on a budget.
The Pittman Outdoors PPI 302 truck mattress is supportive and comes with a 1-year warranty.
How We Picked
Now that we’ve gone over my truck mattress selections, let’s chat about the methodology I used to pick them. Basically, I’m going to discuss all the most important factors for you to consider when shopping for a truck mattress of your own.
Perhaps the most important factor to consider is how you’re going to be using your truck mattress. If you’re going to be sleeping outdoors for an entire summer, let’s say, you’ll probably want a sturdier model that’ll give you plenty of support, comfort, and pressure relief. However, if you’re simply looking to relax in the back of your car and star gaze for a night, you can probably get away with a thinner model that’s more like a “cushion.” There are a lot of options on the market, and getting specific with your needs will help you sort through them all.
Each truck mattress has its own particular technology to help with stability and shape, whether it’s air coils or fiber beams. These designs offer a supportive surface all across the mattress, helping to prevent slouching in the center. Brands will note what kind of support core they’re using, so make sure to take note of it when shopping. No support system is inherently better than another, but it should be a major red flag for you if one isn’t listed at all.
A flocked top is another pretty standard design feature of most truck mattresses. It provides a velvet-like texture that helps with temperature, comfort, and keeping sheets in place. Oftentimes, this material is layered on top of puncture-resistant PVC to create a mattress top that is both sturdy and soft to the touch.
However, this puncture-resistant PVC can sometimes leave the surface with a less than desirable odor. If you’re someone prone to allergies or maybe just sensitive to smell, you may want to focus on brands that have worked to mitigate this issue. As always, customer reviews will be super helpful in assessing whether or not there’s any off-gassing at play.
Ease of set-up is another super crucial factor to consider when buying a truck mattress. The most high-quality models have a “set it and forget it” internal pump that fills up the bed without any more effort from you than a simple flip of a switch. Some require wall outlets to charge these pumps while other beds are equipped to fill without external help. Depending on your needs, you may want to opt for either a built-in pump (say, if you’re going camping) over one that needs to plug into a wall. In general, a high-quality truck mattress should be able to be inflated within five minutes. If it takes any longer than that, you’re working with a lower quality model.
And sometimes, you’ll be able to find a truck mattress that’s built entirely of foam. In this case, it’s all ready to go. However, it won’t be as easy to store as an inflatable model because it won’t be able to pack or fold down.
There is a lot of size variability in the truck mattress market, so make sure you’re landing on the product that’s actually going to work in the back of your truck or car. Most brands will list the dimensions available in the “details” section of the product description, so pay close attention to these measurements.
Remember: Truck mattresses are not classified in traditional bed terms like Twin, Full, Queen, or King sizes. They’re typically categorized by their dimensions or as “Short” and “Long,” which may have different definitions depending on the brand.
Though not as expensive as traditional beds, truck mattresses with all the bells and whistles can still be quite pricey. However, there’s a ton of variability on the market, so it’s crucial that you think about the features that are most important to you. Maybe you want to use your bed when camping, so you’ll need an built-in pump. Or perhaps comfort’s most important, so you’ll want a truck mattress with built-in pillow and soft suede flocking.
What size mattress fits in a semi truck?
There’s a bit of variability here, but most semi truck mattresses have an 80” length and 40” width. Of course, this can change depending on the bed or space available, but this is the typical size.
What size are truck sleeper beds?
Unlike other bedding products, there are a lot of size options available for truck mattresses. Most of them are around the size of a traditional Twin mattress (39” wide by 75” long), with a few extra inches on either side.
Still not sure how to find the right truck mattress for your needs? No problem! Take a look at some of my expert tips for navigating the search with ease.
- Perhaps the most important thing to do is determine how you’re going to be using your truck mattress. If you’ll be taking it camping, you’ll want one with a built-in pump for easy self inflation. If you’re using it recreationally at the beach or on a quick day trip to the woods, you can probably get away with something a little simpler.
- Stay on the lookout for buzzwords like “puncture resistant” and “waterproof.” These indicate that the external materials have been treated to resist wear and tear, making for an overall more durable model.
- Get your measurements in order before you buy. Every truck bed and car interior is different, so make sure you know exactly how much room you’re working with.
Well folks, that does it for this guide to the best truck mattresses on the market! When shopping for one of your own, keep the focus on size, set up, usage, and price. Then, you’ll be well on your way to landing on the truck mattress of your dreams.