Have you been on the search for the perfect weighted blanket? Let me introduce you to a possible contender: the Layla weighted blanket. This brand is known for its signature flippable Layla mattress, but I’m excited to dig into their weighted blanket in this review — which, spoiler alert, has a similarly flippable design!
In this review, I’ll go over the Layla weighted blanket’s construction and feel, as well as make some recommendations for who I think should consider buying it.
Short on time? Lucky for you, you can skip to the end for my review summary. Otherwise, let’s dive in!
What is the Layla Weighted Blanket Made Of?
There’s more than one way to make a weighted blanket, so let’s talk about what the Layla weighted blanket is made of. Materials can make a big difference in the feel and function of a blanket!
Outer Shell: The outer shell of the Layla weighted blanket has two sides (remember what I said earlier about flippablility?): one is a soft, minky material made from 100 percent polyester and the other is 100 percent cotton with a 300-thread count.
Fill: The weighted fill of the Layla blanket is micro glass beads. The glass bead fill is contained in stitched hexagonal pockets across the entire blanket, which keeps the weight distribution even.
Batting Fill: The Layla uses two layers of poly-fill batting to keep the beads in place. This polyester fiber prevents the beads from rolling around or making any noise by clinking together.
How Much Does the Layla Weighted Blanket Weigh?
The Layla weighted blanket is available in three different weight options: 15, 20, and 25 pounds. Each blanket is a different size. The 15-pound blanket, which is the one I tested for this review, is 48 inches by 72 inches, which is like a twin size blanket. The 20-pound blanket is 60 inches by 80 inches, which is a queen size, and the 25-pound blanket is 80 inches by 87 inches, which is like a king size blanket.
When choosing a weighted blanket, it’s best to choose a weight that is close to 10 percent of your own body weight. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, then a 15-pound blanket is the perfect weight for you. This ratio of weight allows you to best experience Deep Pressure Touch, sometimes also called Deep Touch Pressure or DTP.
Deep Pressure Touch is the sensation that we get from hugging or cuddling that causes our body to release serotonin and melatonin, and reduce cortisol levels. This helps our bodies to physically calm down. Weighted blankets have been shown to induce this same effect, which is what makes them so popular for reducing anxiety and stress.
What Does the Layla Weighted Blanket Feel Like?
First and foremost, I really liked the feel of the exterior on this weighted blanket. I thought it was clever to have two sides with really distinct feels. If you’re in the mood for something more plush, soft, and velvety, you can sleep with the mink side. Or if you want something more smooth, the cotton side is perfect.
I found the weight distribution on the Layla to be excellent, as well. The hexagon quilting on the blanket keeps the beads spread evenly across the blanket and prevents them from pooling on one side or the other.
I also really liked the use of the batting fill to sandwich the beads, as it makes the blanket feel more like a “normal” blanket. When you run your hands across the cover or move the blanket around, you can’t feel or hear the beads at all — this can be a big plus for the light sleepers out there who are easily awoken by noise
Is the Layla Weighted Blanket Good for Hot Sleepers?
Now, I have to say that the Layla blanket does get a little toasty. Personally, I’m a cold sleeper, so I really loved how warming this blanket is. But if you already run hot and want something that won’t trap too much heat, I wouldn’t recommend the Layla.
How Durable is the Layla Weighted Blanket?
One of the things I liked most about the Layla weighted blanket is how high-quality and durable it feels. First of all, the entire blanket is machine washable, which is a huge pro for a weighted blanket. Most weighted blankets are either spot clean only or have a washable duvet cover, but with the Layla, you can just throw the entire thing in the washing machine.
I also thought that some of the small details, like the micro glass beads and batting fill, added a really high-quality feel to the Layla blanket.
Now that we’ve covered what this blanket is made of and how it feels, let’s go over my recommendations for who should consider buying the Layla and who might want to consider another weighted blanket.
Who Should Try the Layla Weighted Blanket
- If you can’t decide between a fuzzy or smooth feel for your weighted blanket, the Layla is the perfect solution! With one velvety, minky side and one smooth cotton side, you can flip the blanket to choose your feel.
- If easy cleaning is a high priority for you, you’ll love that the entire Layla blanket is machine washable.
- If you’re a cold sleeper like me and want something to keep you warm at night, you’ll appreciate how warm and cozy the Layla is.
- And if you want a heavy blanket, but don’t want to feel or hear the beads inside, you’ll definitely love how the batting fill used in the Layla masks the beads’ presence.
Layla Weighted Blanket Complaints
- If you’re a hot sleeper and want a weighted blanket that won’t trap too much heat, I wouldn’t recommend the Layla.
- If you’re on the lighter side and weigh significantly less than 150 pounds, the Layla may not be a great choice for you, as the lightest blanket — the 15-pound option — may be too heavy for you.
- Finally, if you like for all your sleep products and sleep accessories to match, you may not like that the Layla only comes in one color option.
I definitely recommend taking a look at our Best Weighted Blankets roundup if you’re interested in finding another weighted blanket!
Layla Weighted Blanket Prices and Sizes
Interested in purchasing a Layla weighted blanket? Here are the prices, listed by size. All prices are listed before discounts. To get the best deal, be sure to click the coupons throughout this review!
|15 lbs||48" x 72"||$180|
|20 lbs||60" x 80"||$220|
|25 lbs||80" x 87"||$240|
Layla Weighted Blanket Policies and FAQs
How does the Layla weighted blanket ship?
The Layla weighted blanket ships for free within the contiguous United States. Customers in Hawaii and Alaska will have to pay an additional shipping fee. Layla will also ship to Canada for an additional fee.
Does the Layla weighted blanket come with a sleep trial?
Layla offers a 120-night trial period with their weighted blanket. During those 120 nights, you can test the Layla weighted blanket at home and if it’s not a good fit for you, you can return it for a full refund, according to Layla’s return policy.
Does the Layla weighted blanket come with a warranty?
Yes, the Layla weighted blanket comes with a five year warranty.
How do I clean the Layla weighted blanket?
To clean your Layla weighted blanket, machine wash it in cold water. Tumble dry on low.
Can I return the Layla weighted blanket after opening it?
Yes, thanks to Layla’s 120-night sleep trial policy! Visit laylasleep.com to contact their customer service team and initiate a return.
Layla Weighted Blanket Vs
Now let’s compare the Layla weighted blanket to one of its market competitors: the Bearaby Cotton Napper.
Layla Weighted Blanket vs Bearaby Cotton Napper Weighted Blanket
- The Bearaby Cotton Napper is a weighted blanket made primarily of organic cotton. It is hand-knitted to form a wide-weave blanket that allows for lots of airflow and breathability.
- Unlike the Layla and other similar weighted blankets, the Bearaby doesn’t use any weighted fill — the weight of the fabric alone makes the Bearaby heavy!
- The Bearaby Cotton Napper comes in 10, 15, 20, and 25 pound weight options.
- Want to learn more? Read my full Bearaby Cotton Napper weighted blanket review!
Bearaby Cotton Napper Weighted Blanket
The Bearaby Cotton Napper is a weighted blanket with a chunky, knitted design that's made of organic cotton.
5.00 / 5Read Full Review
Other Products from Layla
- Layla memory foam mattress review
- Layla Hybrid mattress review
- Layla Sleep mattress topper review
- Layla Bamboo sheets review
- Layla pillow review
Now, here are my final ratings for the Layla weighted blanket.