Time to get the little ones out of their crib and onto a normal mattress? Confused about where to look for a child’s mattress? It’s time to give a big warm welcome to the Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed. The Big Kid’s Bed was designed to meet the needs of growing children and young people.
Will the BKB mattress (Big Kid’s Bed) live up to the hype? Continue reading below to find out whether or not your kids should be sleeping on the Big Kid’s Bed.
In a bit of a time crunch? Click here to slide on down to the review summary.
The Big Kid’s Bed (BKB) is made up from 2 separate foam layers and sit at 7″ in total depth.
- Top layer (cooling & comfort) – 2″ of Energex foam. This top layer is designed to provide the comfort and cooling for the sleeper. Energex foam has characteristics of both latex and memory foam. It has excellent response, bounce, and cooling, but still provides a nice level of pressure relief and hug.
- Bottom layer (support & foundation) – 5″ of base foam. The bottom layer acts as the support for the sleeper in addition to the foundational base for the mattress as a whole. As the sleeper’s weight increases, pending it is a growing child sleeping on this mattress, they will see more sinkage through the top layer and more support from the bottom layer.
The cover of the Big Kids Bed is simple, but nice. Made from a blend of cotton and polyester, the cover provides a soft, stretchy, and durable build. Additionally, the cover does not contain any harmful chemicals.
GUIDE: How to choose a mattress
From an aesthetic standpoint, the cover is modern, but not over the top. Nest Bedding went with an all white design while adding in a mixture of grey wavy lines across the top of the mattress. In addition, the cover contains the Big Kids Bed logo embossed at the foot of the mattress. The combination of the top fabric, embossed logo, grey piping, and white mesh side panels round out a well built cover.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Big Kid’s Bed brings home a medium feel, landing at a 5.5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. Nest Bedding went with this medium design in order to create a mattress that has the ability to suit a vast majority of children.
Overall, the mattress has a nice feel. While it’s not designed for adults, many lighter weight adults may even find the mattress comfortable. The mattress is designed for kids up to 120 pounds and 15 years of age.
BEST – Best mattress for kids
The top layer of Energex foam does a great job of providing kids with an enjoyable level of softness and pressure relief while still supporting them. Even though this mattress is designed for kids I still put it to the test myself. At 140 pounds, I’m a bit over the weight limit, however, the mattress still did better than expected. Additionally, I gathered feedback and data from a friend’s son, who is 6 years of age and 50 pounds.
Support is tough to judge as an adult sleeping on a child’s bed, however, overall the BKB did a nice job creating sufficient support in all sleeping positions. At 140 pounds I did feel a “support wall” type of a feel, in which the mattress was less comfortable, especially on my side. That said, I am a solid 20 pounds over the weight limit. Children within the proper weight limit will not engage the mattress as deeply as an adult will, which will allow the 2″ of Energex foam to sufficiently support, comfort, and contour to their body.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are designed to provide you with insight on how the mattress will perform under various conditions, pressures, and positions. As a reminder, this mattress is not designed for adults. Therefore, my sinkage results should be taken with a grain of salt, but I still want to show the results at my body weight.
- Lying on back – while lying on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 2″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – while lying on my side, I saw 3 ″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – while sitting on the edge with my butt slightly back on the mattress, I saw 3.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – in a more aggressive sitting position with all of my weight directly on the edge, I saw 4.25″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – with all of my weight standing at one point on the mattress, I saw 5.5″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, my sinkage results are going to be different than what a small child is going to see. Yet, this shows how the mattress responds to a sleeper who weighs in at 140 pounds.
In addition to the adult sinkage tests, I also conducted sinkage tests for my friend’s son, who is 6 years old and weighs 50 pounds. His sinkage test results are as follows:
- Lying on back – 1″ of sinkage
- Lying on side – 1.25″ of sinkage
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – 1.5″ sinkage
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – 2″ of sinkage
- Standing in the middle – 3.25″ of sinkage
- Shipping – free shipping within the US, most orders will arrive in less than 7 days, compressed in a box
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Discounts – none available
- Made in the USA
Special note – all international Nest Bedding orders are final. Nest Bedding does not offer a trial period or refunds for international orders.
Other Nest Bedding Reviews
- Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress
- Nest Alexander Signature Mattress
- Nest Love & Sleep Mattress
- Nest Hybrid Latex Mattress
- Nest Mattress Comparison
- Nest Easy Breather Pillows
- Nest Easy Breather Side Sleeper Pillow
The BKB (Big Kid Bed) mattress is a good choice for children up to age 15 and less than 120 pounds. It offers a balanced medium feel and excellent support. It’s not a natural or organic mattress, but it does make a point to utilize healthier materials (Certi-PUR US certified foams, no chemical fire barrier), achieving a balance of price with material quality.
The Big Kid’s Bed is a good choice for sleepers who:
- Have kids who are comfortable at a medium firmness – the BKB mattress comes in at a 5.5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale. As long as your child doesn’t need something super firm or super soft, the medium feel is probably going to be an appropriate firmness level.
- Have young kids or children – as a growing child, the Big Kid’s Bed could be an excellent fit. The BKB mattress is designed with a leaner profile for children, creating the right comfort / support dynamic for kids, without excess material that would otherwise go to waste.
- Have kids less than 120 pounds – the BKB is designed for kids and children less than 120 pound. If your child / kid is near that weight limit it might make more sense to step up to an adult mattress. See here for adult mattresses that are still excellent for kids.
- Want their kids to sleep on a healthier mattress – as I noted above, this mattress is not organic or all natural, but it does do some of the major things right. There is minimal off-gassing due to the better foams used. Additionally, there are no chemical fire barrier treatments.
Looking for more information on the Big Kid’s Bed? Head on over to NestBedding.com to learn more about the BKB.
Scoring Notes – the following review score does not perfectly follow my typical scoring matrix. This is due to the fact that this is a child’s mattress specifically designed for children. As a result, many of the matrix elements do not perfectly align to our typical scoring matrix, which is tuned for adult mattresses. Please use caution when comparing this mattress to an adult mattress. Lastly, the “sex” ranking factor was excluded from the score below as it is not relevant.
BKB Big Kid Bed Mattress
- Edge Support
The Big Kid’s Bed is the first roll packaged mattress specifically made for kids and young children. Created by Nest Bedding, the materials are healthier and the product is dependable. If you’re looking for a mattress to move your child to, the Big Kid’s Bed should not be overlooked. Good support, clean materials, and a good value make this mattress a solid all around choice.