It can be super challenging to buy a mattress as a couple. Not only do you have to satisfy your own sleep needs, but you also have to keep your partner’s distinct preferences and demands in mind. It’s a tall order, one that can feel downright frustrating when scoping out the various models available on the market. However, though every couple’s search is going to be different, there are a few factors that bedmates will always want to consider.
First and foremost, you’ll want to find a mattress with low motion transfer. This will help to isolate movement across the structure and ensure that one partner’s tossing and turning doesn’t disturb the other throughout the night. Uniform quality support is also going to be key, as double the sleepers means double the pressure exerted on the mattress. So, what beds feature these important characteristics? Well, we’re so glad you asked!
Below, we’re going to introduce you to some of our favorite mattresses for couples! After we go over our picks, we’ll also discuss the methodology we used to select them and provide you with a few tips you can use to improve your mattress search. So, without further ado, let’s get into these beds!
Best Memory Foam
Memory foam is an ideal material for couples as its slow response allows it to absorb and isolate motion across a structure. Though there are a lot of memory options on the market, our favorite is the 12” Green Tea Memory Foam mattress from Zinus. It’s thick, plush, and infused with active green tea, which helps to keep things cozy and cool throughout the night.
- If you love memory foam, you’ll likely love the Zinus, as the mattress embodies all the great characteristics of the material, namely its body-contouring, sinkage, and pressure relief.
- The Zinus is a fantastic value buy! Though it’s got a bit of a luxury feel, it’s price point is surprisingly wallet friendly.
- The green tea infusion in the memory foam top layer is also pretty intriguing, as it works to mitigate some of the material’s stuffier tendencies.
- If you like feeling more “on top” of your bed than “in” it, this Zinus mattress may not be the one for you as its memory foam top layer produces a pretty healthy amount of sink.
- The bed also sleeps a little hot, so may not be the best cooling memory foam mattress on the market.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam mattress is thick, plush, and infused with active green tea, which helps to keep things cozy and cool throughout the night.
The Linenspa Hybrid mattress combines a motion-absorbing memory foam top layer with a tall section of individually wrapped coils, producing a feel that’s as supportive as it is pressure-relieving. If you and your partner like the buoyant vibe of a traditional innerspring, this mattress could be the one for you. Plus, it’s got an attractive price point, making it a good option for budget shoppers.
- The low price point is a big selling point here! If you’re a budget-conscious shopper looking to revamp your bedroom, this mattress might be the one for you.
- With just a single layer of memory foam over its section of coils, the Linenspa strikes a nice balance between pressure relief and support, so could be great for those after more of a firm feel.
- All in all, I think this bed could be a fantastic option for college students or young adults moving into their first place. It could also make a nice addition to a spare bedroom.
- Given the straightforward design, there’s not a lot of body-contouring or sinkage going on here, so may not work for those who need deep pressure relief at the shoulders or hips.
- Additionally, heavier sleepers may sink straight through the thin foam top layer, resulting in some discomfort as they encounter the firm coils.
The Linenspa Hybrid mattress combines a motion-absorbing memory foam top layer with a tall section of individually wrapped coils, producing a feel that’s as supportive as it is pressure-relieving.
If you like the feel of an innerspring mattress, you may want to consider the 12” Chime Express hybrid from Ashley Furniture. Built with two rows of 9” 13-gauge individually wrapped coils, this mattress is sturdy, bouncy, and very supportive. To offset some of this firmness, Ashley Furniture decided to overlay the coils with a thin layer of memory foam to provide a bit of pressure relief to the shoulders and lower back.
- As mentioned in the description, this bed is great for couples after that innerspring vibe. Though there’s some foam at play, the dominant feel is definitely of bouncy, firm coils.
- In general, there’s a lot of support here, which helps to position both sleepers on top of the structure.
- I also like that the foam materials are hypoallergenic, ensuring they’re free of allergens, dust mites, and other airborne pests.
- This bed is definitely on the firm side, so may not be the best fit for couples in which one of the sleepers favors slumbering on their side.
- If you’re someone who likes to feel more “in” your bed than “on top” of it, this may not be the mattress for you, as the bouncy coils work to lift the sleeper up and out of the bed.
The Ashley Furniter Chim Express is built with two rows of 9” 13-gauge individually wrapped coils making this mattress sturdy, bouncy, and very supportive.
Best for Combo Sleepers
For folks who like to move around and change positions in the night, the 12” Lucid Hybrid mattress could be a great fit. Built with premium steel coils and buoyant latex foam, this bed is designed to lift the sleeper up and out of the structure. A special bonus for couples is the extra layer of edge support that wraps around the bed, which maximizes the usable surface area of the mattress.
- This is one bouncy structure! The buoyant lift from the latex coupled with the strong bounce of the pocketed coils makes for some excellent mobility, which could be great for combo sleepers.
- Another big plus for the mattress is its innovative design, which sees a top layer of latex over one of memory foam. By doing this, the naturally cooling latex foam is able to curb some of the overheating tendencies of memory foam, resulting in a cooler sleep.
- Lastly, the section of foam edge support around the bed could be a great feature for couples who need to use the entire surface area of the mattress.
- This bed features a relatively thin section of coils, so may not be the best for those after more of a traditional innerspring vibe.
- If you want to really sink into your bed, this may not be the one for you, as you’re likely to feel more “on top” of it.
For folks who like to move around and change positions in the night, the 12” Lucid Hybrid mattress could be a great fit!
Best Mattress Topper
If you and your partner generally like the feel of your mattress, but want to alter the vibe ever so slightly, a mattress topper might just do the trick. And for our money, there’s no better topper for couples than the Leisure Town Cooling Mattress Pad. Not only is it plush and pressure-relieving, but it’s outfitted with cooling tech to help regulate body temperatures throughout the night.
- The topper is built with a down alternative, so provides a cloud-like cushion into which couples can gently sink.
- That being said, this sinkage isn’t likely to overheat the sleeper, as the pad is infused with a lot of innovative cooling tech.
- In general, this pad could be great for sleepers who need just a bit more pressure relief at sensitive spots along the spine.
- If you and your bedmate prefer a firmer feel, you may want to pass on this topper, as it’s definitely got a soft vibe.
- Additionally, stomach sleepers may find that the pad causes their hips to sink out of alignment with their shoulders.
The Leisure Town Topper is not only plush and pressure-relieving, but is outfitted with cooling tech to help regulate body temperatures throughout the night.
How We Picked
Now that we’ve gone over our picks, let’s get into the methodology behind them. Below, we’ll cover all the major factors you and your bedmate need to consider when looking for a new mattress to satisfy your couple-y needs.
One of the most important factors for couples to think about when looking for a new mattress is motion transfer. For those unfamiliar with the term, motion transfer refers to the amount of movement detectable across a bed. Most couples will want a mattress with low motion transfer to ensure that one sleeper’s tossing and turning doesn’t disturb their bedmate. In truth, a mattress that can isolate motion effectively can make a huge difference in how a couple sleeps.
To make sure you snag a mattress with low motion transfer, pay extra close attention to a bed’s top layers. Memory foam is arguably the best material at isolating motion, as its dense nature allows it to absorb and dissipate movement. Latex, on the other hand, is incredibly bouncy, so works to accentuate any and all motion.
A good mattress should evenly support the body in a variety of sleeping positions by lifting the spine into a healthy, neutral alignment. As far as general comfort is concerned, this is a pretty baseline requirement.
However, couples will want their bed’s support to go a step further. And it makes sense — a couple collectively places more pressure on a mattress than a single sleeper, necessitating more (and better) support. For that reason, we recommend that couples look for designs that feature an extra layer of edge support. This maximizes the usable surface area of a mattress, allowing bedmates to stretch all the way to the sides of a bed without sacrificing support.
Double the sleepers means double the body heat, so temperature regulation is going to be extra important for couples. To keep things nice and cozy throughout the night, look for a mattress built with special cooling properties. This could include gel infusions, open-cell foam designs, or even a tall section of coils that’ll allow extra air to flow through the structure. If you’re especially worried about sleeping hot, you could also keep an eye out for covers quilted with either Tencel or Bamboo, two all-natural materials that are inherently cooling.
Sex is a pertinent concern when purchasing any mattress, but especially so for couples. For partners who like to engage in a bit of amorous activity, quality bounce, response time, and support are going to be crucial factors. Though you won’t want your bed to be too bouncy (see the motion transfer section above), a quick response to pressure will make it easier for you to move around the bed.
There are a number of ways to achieve this balance between motion isolation and mobility, but the most effective is to find a mattress that has a layer of memory over top one of latex. That way, you get all the bouncy benefits of latex, but with little to none of the motion transfer. You could also opt for a hybrid design that features a thin section of pocketed coils under thick top layers of memory foam.
Still not sure how to find the mattress that’s going to be right for you and your partner? No worries! We’re going to wrap up this guide with a few tips you can use to make your search much, much easier.
- If you and your bedmate have incredibly different sleep preferences, you may want to look at a bed with split firmness. What this essentially means is that the mattress is split in two right down the middle, with one side featuring one firmness and the other side featuring another. It’s an easy way to satisfy both partners without making too many sacrifices.
- We mentioned this earlier, but edge support can also make a huge comfort difference for couples. This feature essentially extends the support outward from the center of the bed all the way to the sides, maximizing the usable space.
- Don’t skimp on quality! With two people actively using the bed every night, the mattress is going to go through its fair share of wear and tear. To mitigate against unnecessary damage, invest in a bed that uses high-quality materials. Think sturdy steel coils, high-density memory foams, and talalay or dunlop latex.
Well folks, we’ve arrived at the end of this guide! Though everyone’s search will be a little different, if you keep the focus on low motion isolation, fantastic support, and effective cooling, you and your bedmate will be well on the way to catching nothing but dreamy Zzz’s all night long.