Shopping for a new mattress can be pretty confusing. Not only is it tricky to figure out what kind of bed you actually need (soft, firm, bouncy, oh my!), but it can also be difficult to land on the brand that’s right for you and your budget. Thankfully, there are a few ways to navigate this process with ease, which I’m going to share with you in this guide.
First and foremost, you’ll need to decide what kind of sleeper you are: side, back, stomach, or maybe a combination of the three. Next, you’ll want to think about the levels of support you need, whether it be firm support at the hips for a little lift or soft support at the shoulders for a little give. After personally testing hundreds of different mattresses, I’ve learned that it’s less about buying the bed that everyone says is the “best” and more about buying the one that’s best for you and your specific sleep needs.
But that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few that are better than the rest! I’m going to introduce you to some of the best mattresses of 2020. They range from the irresistibly plush to the ultra-supportive and firm, and are sure to satisfy a wide range of different sleepers. At the end of this guide, I’ll also go over my methodology for picking the perfect mattress as well as some tips for making the mattress search a breeze.
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
Ashley Furniture 12 Inch Memory Foam Mattress
Built with twelve inches of gentle memory foam and supportive poly foam, the Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress from Ashley Signature is a fantastic bed for side sleepers. Folks who snooze on their side typically want a softer bed that provides deep pressure relief and body-contouring to the shoulders and hips, which this bed does with ease. It’s also made with hypoallergenic material, so could be a nice fit for folks with allergies!
- Memory foam lovers could find a lot to enjoy in this mattress, as it epitomizes all the great characteristics of the material, namely its pressure relief, body-contouring, and sinkage!
- I also think this mattress could be great for side sleepers! The Chime Express is a super soft bed, so will allow for plenty of cozy cushioning at the shoulders and hips.
- In general, this bed could work wonders for folks in need of deep pressure relief, whether at the lumbar region or around the neck and shoulders.
- Though the softness is a big plus for side sleepers, it could be a negative for back and stomach sleepers, who typically prefer a firm mattress that lifts the spine into a healthy, neutral alignment.
The Ashley Furniture memory foam mattress provides the soft feel and pressure relief that side sleepers will love!
Most Affordable Mattress
Best Price Mattress
For folks on a budget, this Memory Foam mattress from Best Price could be a real winner! Made of gentle memory foam and supportive poly foam, this bed strikes a nice balance between pressure relief and support. Plus, you can choose exactly how thick you want it to be, as it’s available in either a 6”, 8”, 10”, or 12” profile.
- I think this could be a fantastic value buy! It’s cozy and supportive, but is definitely more affordable than other beds on the market.
- It could also be great for side sleepers in need of pressure relief at the shoulders and hips, thanks to the top layer of memory foam.
- I’d also recommend it for younger folks moving into a college dorm or first apartment.
- Given the bed’s no-frills construction, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for couples. These sleepers will want a slightly more advanced bed with better edge support and motion transfer.
The Best Price mattress comes in 6", 8", 10" and 12" versions and lives up to its name by coming in at a very affordable price!
Best Innerspring Mattress
Modway Jenna 10” Quilted Pillow Top Mattress
If you prefer a more traditional vibe, I’d recommend checking out this innerspring mattress from Modway. Outfitted with a tall system of individually wrapped pocketed coils, this bed is firm, supportive, and bouncy. For that reason, it’s probably best-suited for back and stomach sleepers in need of a little lift at the hips and lower back. It also isolates motion fairly well, so could be a nice pick for couples who don’t want to disturb each other in the night.
- This bed evokes a classic innerspring feel, so could be nice for folks who like a bouncy and supportive vibe.
- I think it could be especially good for stomach sleepers who need a firm mattress to keep their hips lifted in alignment with their shoulders.
- Couples may also enjoy how well the bed isolates motion, ensuring that they won’t bother each other with their tossing and turning.
- Side sleepers will probably want to avoid this mattress as it’s likely too firm for their needs and doesn’t feature very much sinkage or pressure relief.
The Modway Jenna uses coils for a traditional feel and strong support that's great for back and stomach sleepers.
Best Mattress for Couples
Vibe 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The 12” gel-infused memory foam mattress from Vibe could be an excellent option for couples! Not only is it built to sleep cool (thanks in large part to the cooling gel infusions in the top layers of foam), but it’s also designed to absorb and isolate motion, which could be a big plus for restless bed mates. Another bonus? The high-quality materials used in this mattress have all been CertiPUR-US, which means they’re toxin and chemical free.
- If you like memory foam, you’ll likely enjoy this mattress, as it embodies all the great attributes of the material, especially its deep pressure relief and sinkage.
- Specifically, side sleepers could find a lot to love in this bed as its soft nature provides plenty of cushiony support at the shoulders and hips.
- I think this mattress could also be great for couples! Not only is it built to sleep cool, but it also isolates motion super well.
- Unfortunately, this bed isn’t very firm, so may not be a great fit for stomach sleepers! As we’ve discussed, these sleepers need a highly supportive structure for healthy spine alignment.
Using high-quality materials, the Vibe 12" Gel Memory Foam Mattress absorbs motion transfer and sleeps really cool, making it a great choice for couples!
How We Picked the Best Mattresses
Now that we’ve gone over our picks, let’s get into the methodology we used to pick them! Here, we’ll walk you through some of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a new mattress.
The first thing you’ll want to consider is materials. In general, you’ll want to go with the most high-quality materials you can find within your budget. Though you’ll likely see similar ones used over and over again (primarily memory foam, latex, pocketed coils, steel coils, and high-density poly foam), every brand employs them in different ways. So, you’ll want to pay extra close attention to the design specs to make sure you’re landing on the bed that’s right for you.
To give you a sense of how these materials generally feel, I’m going to walk you through the most popular ones:
- Memory Foam: Quality memory foam is defined by its density. So, the higher the density, the greater the lifespan of the foam. Memory foam is known for its slow response to pressure, which allows it to contour around the curves of the body. Side sleepers and those after deep pressure relief usually prefer memory foam mattresses.
- Latex: The best quality latex foams are either Dunlop or Talalay latex. Dunlop is the only form of latex that’s 100% natural, and it has a much denser feel than Talalay. In general, latex has a buoyant feel that’s bouncy and supportive. It’s also naturally cooling, so can be a good option for folks who sleep hot.
- Coils: Coil count and density play a large role in how supportive and comfortable an innerspring or hybrid mattress is going to be. A smaller number of coils provides fewer areas of contact with the body, which can lead to discomfort. When looking at a hybrid or innerspring mattress, keep an eye out for individually wrapped pocketed coils and steel coils. These are some of the best available and will offer you the bounce, firmness, and support you’d expect from these kinds of beds.
- Poly Foam: Poly foam is a popular material for value mattresses, because it’s less expensive than other materials. However, that doesn’t mean all poly foam is created equal. High-density poly foam, which is denser and sturdier than other types of poly foam, is considered the best. This material is usually good for back or stomach sleepers in need of both pressure relief and support.
Now that you have a better sense of how common bedding materials work, you can apply this knowledge to how you naturally sleep! When shopping for a new mattress, it’s important to figure out whether or not it’ll support you in your preferred sleeping position. When we talk about support, we’re referring to a bed’s ability to set the spine into a healthy, neutral alignment. This will look slightly different for each sleeping position, so let’s discuss some of the major things to look out for based on how you snooze:
- Side Sleepers – Side sleepers will need the most support at their shoulders and hips. In general, these sleepers will want a soft bed that provides plenty of pressure relief at these sensitive spots to avoid uncomfortable “jamming” as they press into the mattress. All-foam beds are ideal for side sleepers as they provide a nice balance of pressure relief and support, especially those with thick layers of memory foam.
- Back Sleepers – Back sleepers will usually want a medium firm bed (right around 6-7/10 on the firmness scale). This kind of mattress will position the hips on top of the structure and provide some nice relief at the lumbar region. I usually recommend latex, innerspring, or hybrid mattresses for back sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers – Stomach sleepers need an ultra-firm bed in order to support an even spine alignment from shoulders to hips. Innerspring mattresses with thin foam top layers work best for stomach sleepers as they work to lift the body into a neutral line.
- Combo Sleepers – Combo sleepers need support in all sleeping positions, so a hybrid mattress is usually a good fit. These beds are built with gentle foams and springy coils, so pack a one-two punch of comfort and bounce.
In my opinion, the overall customer experience is just as important as an exceptional product. If a brand has an amazing bed, but negligent customer service representatives or confusing policies, I can’t in good faith include it on a “bed mattress” round-up.
So, how do I ensure that a company has top-notch customer service? I’m constantly scouring the Web for third-party reviews, looking closely to see if users have been neglected or received lackluster service from a particular retailer. I also keep my eyes on social media for any brand red flags, which I then investigate on my own.
All in all, it’s important to do your due diligence before clicking buy. Research brands on your favorite search engine and see what other folks have to say about their customer service!
As more and more mattress-in-a-box companies surface in the digital ether, value has become an increasingly crucial factor to consider when selecting the best mattresses of any given year.
And when I refer to value, I’m not just talking about a low price point. A great value is achieved when the selling price is well below the average market cost for what you’d ordinarily need to pay for a mattress of that quality and performance. In this way, mattresses at all points on the pricing scale can be considered an exceptional value.
To assess the value of a bed, pay attention to the little details: Are its foams certified toxin and chemical free? Are its materials durable and of high-quality? Does the brand offer a fantastic warranty? If so, you’ll definitely be getting a lot of bang for your buck.
Still a little confused about how to find the mattress of your dreams? Then use some of my expert tips to improve your search.
- A good place to start is with materials. If you can land on a material that you like (say memory foam or latex), you can greatly narrow down your search. This will make it much easier to wade through all the options.
- Do your research! It’s kind of a no-brainer, but reading customer reviews, checking out a brand on Twitter, or simply poking around Sleepopolis can help you get a better sense of the mattress landscape.
- Take advantage of trial periods and warranties. A lot of online brands have generous trial periods, which allow you to try a mattress on for size before committing. Do this and see what feels good!
- Don’t just buy the cheapest bed on the market. I know it’s tempting, but I’d encourage you to think more about value than the mere affordability of a mattress. This will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
What is the most comfortable mattress in the world?
The most comfortable mattress is different for each sleeper! Side sleepers tend to prefer softer mattresses made with gentle foams whereas stomach sleepers typically go for firmer mattresses made of highly supportive materials. Figure out how you sleep, then you can figure out the bed that’s going to be most comfortable for your needs.
What is the best mattress on the market?
There’s no one best mattress on the market for all sleepers. That being said, fantastic beds all feature high-quality materials, solid warranties, thoughtful designs, and durable structures.
What is the best type of mattress to buy?
Totally depends on your specific sleep preferences! Side sleepers should go with a gentle, all-foam bed that provides deep pressure relief at the shoulders and hips. Stomach sleepers should go with a firm structure that lifts the hips on top of the bed. And back sleepers will want something in between, a medium firm option that relieves tension at the lumbar region and lifts the hips on top of the mattress.
What is the best month to buy a mattress?
It’s always a great time to buy a mattress, though you can sometimes find special deals around federal holidays.
Well, that about does it for this guide to the best mattresses of 2020. When looking for a new mattress, remember to keep the focus on sleep position, materials, and support so that you can find a bed that satisfies all your unique needs. Then, make sure to do your research to ensure you’re landing on a bed that’s not only great, but undeniably great for you!