Cities for Sleep
The largest US state by area is Alaska, where extreme temperatures and spectacular vistas reign. Fish still jump from pristine rivers in this former Russian territory, the most sparsely populated state in the country. With national parks like Denali National Park, Glacier Bay, and Kenai Fjords, Alaska boasts over half a million square miles of mountains, tundra, and rugged coastline.
Some interesting facts about Alaska:
- More than 5% of the population speaks one of the state’s twenty native languages
- Oil was discovered in Prudhoe Bay in 1968, and has since become an important part of the state economy
- Alaska has no county fairs because it has no counties. Instead, the state is divided into six regions
- As part of the “Ring of Fire” of seismic activity in the Pacific Ocean basin, Alaska has many active volcanoes along its nearly 34,000 miles of coastline
- The lowest temperature ever recorded in Alaska was -62.2 in January 1971
Alaska’s long, cold nights seem tailor-made for restful sleep — or does the state’s famed midnight sun make slumber difficult? Let’s look at how Alaskans sleep by city and find out.
The percentage of adults who report insufficient sleep each year. Insufficient sleep increases the chance of weight gain, cognitive problems, and cardiovascular disease
The percentage of adults who report a BMI — or body mass index — above 30%. Higher body mass usually equals a greater risk of sleep apnea
The percentage of adults who report excessive drinking. Heavy drinking is linked to disrupted sleep and less REM sleep
Let Everyone Know Your City Made the List!
<a href="https://sleepopolis.com/sleep-cities/alaska/" target="_blank" title="Best Cities for Sleep in Alaska"><img src="https://sleepopolis.com/wp-content/plugins/sostudy/images/badges/state/SleepCityStateBadges_Alaska.png" /></a>
Chena Ridge, AK
Steele Creek, AK
Farmers Loop, AK
Meadow Lakes, AK
How Did We Determine the Best Cities for Sleep?
Sleep is impacted by important behavioral, environmental, and lifestyle factors. We compiled our list of Best Cities for Sleep by looking at 10 key metrics backed by scientific research. Keep reading to find out which metrics we chose and how they affect slumber.