Cities for Sleep
The Mount Rushmore State was named after the Dakota and Lakota indigneous tribes that once inhabited the state in large numbers. South Dakota was admitted to the Union in 1889 and is the 5th least populous state in the country. The state is part of both the Midwest and the Great Plains regions. South Dakota is home to beautiful Badlands National Park, a 242,000-acre area of dramatic pinnacles and buttes.
Interesting facts about South Dakota:
- South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore National Memorial was created between 1927 and 1941 by carving the faces of four presidents into a granite mountain in the Black Hills area
- The state flower is the pasque flower, a purple perennial herb that grows wild on the South Dakota prairies
- Famous T-Rex dinosaur Sue was discovered in 1990 near the Badlands of South Dakota
- Jewel Cave in the Black Hills is the third largest cave in the world
- The state’s many lakes and rivers give South Dakota more shoreline than Florida
South Dakota is the 17th largest state by area and has just 11 people per square mile. Given the state’s wide open spaces, peaceful sleep would seem like a given. Or is it? Let’s take a look at how folks sleep in cities like Sioux Falls and Rapid City and see who tops our list.
The percentage of adults who report insufficient sleep each year. Insufficient sleep increases the chance of weight gain, cognitive problems, and cardiovascular disease
The percentage of adults who report a BMI — or body mass index — above 30%. Higher body mass usually equals a greater risk of sleep apnea
The percentage of adults who report excessive drinking. Heavy drinking is linked to disrupted sleep and less REM sleep
Let Everyone Know Your City Made the List!
<a href="https://sleepopolis.com/sleep-cities/south-dakota/" target="_blank" title="Best Cities for Sleep in SouthDakota"><img src="https://sleepopolis.com/wp-content/plugins/sostudy/images/badges/state/SleepCityStateBadges_SouthDakota.png" /></a>
Rapid Valley, SD
Sioux Falls, SD
Rapid City, SD
Box Elder, SD
Belle Fourche, SD
How Did We Determine the Best Cities for Sleep?
Sleep is impacted by important behavioral, environmental, and lifestyle factors. We compiled our list of Best Cities for Sleep by looking at 10 key metrics backed by scientific research. Keep reading to find out which metrics we chose and how they affect slumber.
Find the Best Cities for Sleep in the following States
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia